Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Long Form Birth Certificate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Long Form Birth Certificate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant

There. Is everyone happy now? I wonder what Donald Trump’s hair has to say about it…

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/obamas-long-form-birth-certificate-released/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Why did he never release it to begin with?

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

he had to ask the imam if that was cool.

rus
    rus
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

he had to ask the imam if that was cool.

*snicker*

myliftkk
    Participant

I see Snarf has already succumbed to Long-Form Birtherism…

I did enjoy the run of “How deluded can Rs get?” polls that had near majorities/majorities infected with birther fever. I suppose that entertaining pastime might tail off a bit now.

Or perhaps like scientology, it will live on…

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I’m guessing the strategy was “give them enough rope to hang themselves with.” There are now presidential candidates for the 2012 election who have gone on the record as admitting to having mild cases of paranoid schizophrenia. That’s pure gold for any half-decent advertising team.

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’ve not succumbed to anything. My question, while potentially naive, was a serious one.

I don’t understand the drama surrounding the whole thing. Why didn’t he just avoid it all by releasing it earlier?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

A few reasons:

1) Hawaii had refused to grant an exception to its rule prohibiting the release of long-form birth certificates until recently. Long-form birth certificates are actually not the official birth certificates in Hawaii any longer; the short-form one, which the president released in ’08, is now the certificate with the force of law in Hawaii and the one that is released whenever a Hawaii-born citizen requests a birth certificate.

2) Political gain. The longer this was part of the GOP platform, the better it was for Obama, in that it demonstrated the lunacy of a large swath of the Republican Party. This move by the Administration now outflanks both Donald Trump and the publication of a forthcoming book entitled, “Where’s the Birth Certificate?”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Thank you, MichaelC.

Schoolboy
    Participant

why did he have too? this is typical of the republican party. now they’ll start another rumor, lead another witch hunt, play more dirty politics. he played their game well. waited for a moron like trump to really pop his mouth off so that he could make them look as juvenile as possible. i’m sick of these practices myself. best thing is now, that the republican sports fans will now cry conspiracy. which i’m sure is trump’s next stance as well.

rustbelt
    Participant

There. Is everyone happy now?

No. A quick review of some right wing blogs & websites this morning show they STILL aren’t satisfied.

I say keep the controversy going. It’s somewhat entertaining watching the delusional wingnuts get all lathered up.

I’m no fan of Obama but I suspect he’s been playing them like a fiddle this whole time.

Twixlen
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I’ve not succumbed to anything. My question, while potentially naive, was a serious one.
    I don’t understand the drama surrounding the whole thing. Why didn’t he just avoid it all by releasing it earlier?

I’m guessing because no other president has ever had to? Because it’s a ridiculous ploy? Because it’s childish and exposes the idiocy of American citizens?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

I’m guessing because no other president has ever had to? Because it’s a ridiculous ploy? Because it’s childish and exposes the idiocy of American citizens?

Seems like Obama “playing their game” or the whole idea of “haha, i showed you” is also kind of petty and a waste of time and energy though too, yes?

This is the president, not a Real Housewife of DC.

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Seems like Obama “playing their game” or the whole idea of “haha, i showed you” is also kind of petty and a waste of time and energy though too, yes?
    This is the president, not a Real Housewife of DC.

I believe you think too highly of the political process.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE