Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Local place shoutout - Thurn's meats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Local place shoutout – Thurn's meats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

alexs said:
    They have an Italian pork sausage, and they also have a hot version.

Hot? I should ask, what would it cost to commission a REALLY hot batch? Maybe we could line up a CU group buy or something.

I’m in!

patient_zero
    Participant

alexs said:
    When you leave, go around the back of the building, and check out the woodpile. There seems to be a mix of woods, and I wonder if they just randomly grab anything or if they use certain woods to smoke for certain recipes.

I missed your post before my Saturday morning visit, so I missed the assorted hardwood but I saw two overturned milk crates outside the building next door, undoubtedly used by the local cigarette smokers. :]

I’ll pass on the REALLY hot sausage. David is in, maybe FoodFort or CFA would welcome the heat.

@ derm, I picked up 2 lbs of weisswurst, 2 lbs of head cheese and a lb of smoked gouda last Saturday for the Final Four show. It didn’t bring the Bucks any luck, but it was nonetheless enjoyable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

patient_zero
    Participant

0Angle said:
    http://614columbus.com/article/the-meatmen-of-greenlawn-avenue-4831/

There was a b&w photo their former Central Market location (where Greyhound is located) posted on their bulletin board. It was a rare glimpse of a vendor in the Market in it’s glory days.

Central Market in 1966 (Holiday Inn in the background)

derm
    derm
    Participant

Tasted my homemade pancetta last night. I must say that it is AMAZING! and TO DIE FOR! Well, maybe Thurns is not quaking in their boots, but I must say that I have plans for a killer Carbonara soon.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Thurn’s now has a website
    http://www.thurnsmeats.com/

We were there earlier this evening on our Meat Lover’s tour and I still smell of smoke!

patient_zero
    Participant

Awesome, Bethia! Thanks for sharing. They even have a picture of the white weiners.

roy
    Participant

Bump for this local treasure, Thurn’s is great in summer too, links on the grill, ham sandwiches, BLTs.

At Easter I ordered a ham and they kindly separated a big piece, wrapping it in freezer paper for soup later. This weekend, cold and tired, I made black bean soup with the Thurn’s hambone, ShagBark beans from Athens, a couple shallots and salt & pepper.

It’s seriously the best bean soup I’ve ever made, possibly the best I’ve ever tasted, and with just those few ingredients, crazy. I chilled it expecting to find a layer of fat to skim but no, it’s somehow full of delicious ham bits and fat free, thank you, magical Thurn’s ham.

Twixlen
    Participant

I stopped in a week ago & loaded up on this presliced sausage that has a name I don’t know. It was some magical hybrid of pepperoni & salumi – but toothier. I couldn’t keep myself from eating it. It was like crack.

Plus – all their summer sausages & grilling were made for each other.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

this presliced sausage that has a name I don’t know. It was some magical hybrid of pepperoni & salumi – but toothier

Capacolla? Sausage about 4″ diameter, mostly coarse chunks of meat with a visible coating of red pepper?

Roll it into hollow ceegars and have that as part of a toasted open-faced sandwich.

Twixlen
    Participant

alexs said:

this presliced sausage that has a name I don’t know. It was some magical hybrid of pepperoni & salumi – but toothier

Capacolla? Sausage about 4″ diameter, mostly coarse chunks of meat with a visible coating of red pepper?

Roll it into hollow ceegars and have that as part of a toasted open-faced sandwich.

Nope, it had a different grind that capacolla…. And there as something almost….mustardy….about it. And its about a 2.5″ diameter item. Albert said the name of it – German – but I’ll be damned if I know what he said. Imma find out, though.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Cervelat

Thurn’s is a treasure. Their double-smoked bacon is to die for. As soon as tomatoes start ripening, we’ll be making a LOT of BLTs.

Over the holidays, we had an open house and got a smoked duck from there. Absolutely delicious.

odi_et_amo
    Participant

+1 for the Cervelot (and everything else at this fantastic place).

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

garlic.brats

ricospaz
    Participant

Smokey bacon… mmmm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: