Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Local place shoutout - Thurn's meats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Local place shoutout – Thurn's meats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

I had heard of this place but had not gone prior. Went to Rife’s looking for some curing salt for my upcoming Pancetta project and they steered me to Thurn’s

Wow. First thing you walk in and the aroma of smoked meats is amazing. Great selection, good prices. Not like any other place in Columbus. The very nice lady tossed me pieces of charcuterie as my order was getting ready. Today’s order was some pink salt, some of their double smoked bacon and four pork shanks for my booty fab Osso Bucco coming shortly. Will be back. Highly recommended as a place for the good locally made stuff.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yep, my family has been going there since I was a kid. Get the smoked hocks, boil them, and make stock for a barley, bean, or pea soup.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The smoked trout is like butter; smoky briny butter. I’m gonna actually miss lent.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Heard of this place but never made it over there. Thanks for the reminder.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They are on Greenlawn, immediately at the foot of the I-71 South exit. They are only open Thursday – Saturday.

Get the garlic brats, and drive home with the windows open. Or, enjoy lots of room on the bus.

ricospaz
    Participant

You can get smoked racks of ribs there. delicious!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

You can get whole slabs of bacon, smoked and double-smoked. Slice it yourself or have it sliced.

FoodFort
    Participant

Thurns – Great, awesome, incredible and over 100 years in Columbus. Need we say more.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One thing more, Greenlawn is THE LOUDEST STREET I KNOW OF IN THE WHOLE CITY.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

We have a post about Thurn’s on our blog.

and here’s a WCBE Foodcast interview[/url] with owner Albert Thurn.

They often put specials up on their facebook page.

patient_zero
    Participant

Worthy shoutout, indeed. In addition to the wonderful postings by CFA and CMH Gourmand, Columbus Foodie has her own post about Thurn’s:
    http://www.columbusfoodie.com/2007/05/26/thurns-specialty-meats/

I highly recommend a few packages of their weisswurst on your next trip, derm.

Their hours are a little keep me from visiting them more, though. :[

Thu-Fri 8 am – 6 pm

Sat 7 am – 1 pm

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Thurn’s are taking orders for Easter hams.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thurns-Specialty-Meats/70930344090

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

When you leave, go around the back of the building, and check out the woodpile. There seems to be a mix of woods, and I wonder if they just randomly grab anything or if they use certain woods to smoke for certain recipes.

derm
    derm
    Participant

The Thurns ingredients were tonights meal. The pork shanks were braised Osso Bucco style served over haluski made with the double smoked bacon. Braised the shanks yesterday, skimmed the fat off to make the roux for a side gravy. Re-warmed them prior to service. Divine.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They have an Italian pork sausage, and they also have a hot version.

Hot? I should ask, what would it cost to commission a REALLY hot batch? Maybe we could line up a CU group buy or something.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: