Our City Online

Messageboard - Contests

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Local NPR: WOSU/WCBE

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Contests Local NPR: WOSU/WCBE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thom
    Participant

Pledge drive always makes me wonder why Columbus needs two NPR syndicates. I understand that both stations have original programming but aren’t they soliciting the same group people (i.e. People that listen to NPR on the radio)?

substance
    Participant

Need? What do we need? It is great to have to decent stations. They mostly have complimentary shows. I wish one of them would get rid of the snide host of Market Place. That guy is awful.

ohbr
    Participant

I used to listen to WOSU religiously but about a year ago I made the switch to WCBE. My partner is still a WOSU supporter while I switched my support. Seems odd because they are both ‘NPR’ but they are very different independent stations. So yes, they may be going after the same NPR crowd but with nearly 2 million people in the regions it is enough to sustain 2 NPR stations. After all, how many top 40 stations and country stations playing the same thing can the city handle?

But since it’s time for the fun drive, that means my semi annual trip to ‘The Answer.’ dashboard smashing worthy commentary on the state of ‘Gods greatest gift to the world’.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Pledge drive always makes me wonder why Columbus needs two NPR syndicates. I understand that both stations have original programming but aren’t they soliciting the same group people (i.e. People that listen to NPR on the radio)?

Don’t forget classical 101, a (very good) WOSU NPR station that serves what I assume is an even smaller niche.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Having multiple NPR’s reaffirms that I’m living in a city . Nothing is scarier than driving through the middle of the country and finding 16 crazy religious stations and not a single NPR.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

It reaffirms that I’m in a city having multiple NPR’s. Nothing is scarier than driving through the middle of the country and finding 16 crazy religious stations and not a single NPR.

I second that!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yeah and the religious stations can afford the strongest transmitters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Contests’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: