Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 229 total)
  • Author

zp945
    Participant

To be fair the rent is less than half of $40 per square foot. On a PSF basis it is in line with most of the neighborhood, maybe a little on the high side for as far north as it is. The problem is not so much the rent, as all the other issues with the building and owner. It is a large single use building with a parking lot. The taxes alone are over $1,000 a month. As has been said, lots of potential bars and restaurants looked at the space. My guess is 30-40. Some had the ideas and capital to make something work but all of them walked away after dealing with the headaches. The landlord is looking for someone who will sign his lease, with no changes, even though some of the language is so outdated that it no longer even makes sense.

To the people who say the landlord has the right to lease to whom ever he wishes, of course he does. That doesn’t mean that as neighbors we have to be happy with what we are given. I admitted earlier in the thread that I tried to lease it. It didn’t work out and I’m fine with that. I would have loved to see another group put in a bar/restaurant that utilizes the space to its full potential. Why gut such a cool and unique building and leave us with something that could easily be placed in a less desirable building? The real shame is that Dan didn’t just buy the building a decade ago and we’d all still be going to shows at LB’s.

chrisat4th

So is this a NEW plasma center, or is the plasma center down the st. relocating? Not that I know tons and tons about the whole plasma center business, but cab the neighborhood really support two of them in any case? Will their margins drop because of competition and needing to pay more to draw donors? Just doesn’t seem like a great idea for a number of reasons. . .

cc

same company

cyclist II
    Participant

I thought Surly Girl was a lesbian bar?

berdawn

Multi-family, eh? My WP interpreter suggests slum lord might be the best term for “small fry”

cyclist II
    Participant

wassan

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the neighborhood association or the city has nothing to do with what business opens up in the building. How is that possible? Can I open a strip joint in the SN?

This is probably the most crushing news I’ve heard for the whole neighborhood and I think its bizarre that there isn’t more fuss about it.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

wassan wrote >>
    Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the neighborhood association or the city has nothing to do with what business opens up in the building. How is that possible? Can I open a strip joint in the SN?
    This is probably the most crushing news I’ve heard for the whole neighborhood and I think its bizarre that there isn’t more fuss about it.

There have been numerous strip clubs in the neighborhood over the years.

KyleEzell

About 10 years ago I dodged bullets outside my house near High Street in the SN (Literally–“hit the floor!!!!” kind of situations)for a few years before the neighborhood improved. I picked up drug addicts’ needles for YEARS in my alley and near the park until they mostly disappeared. (And they disappeared the very day the Full Monty closed.) For those of you who don’t live here, this ‘hood is FRAGILE. If the landowners around here want to march back to those days then all it will take is changing the land uses to the likes of plasma centers, just about the stupidest use I can imagine for that gorgeous building. Neighborhoods get better or they get worse. Period. (The verdict is out right now on which way we’re going.) Get on the ball, Short North.

cyclist II
    Participant

The rent’s too damn high

howatzer
    Participant

cyclist II wrote >>
    The rent’s too damn high

That explains all of those plasma centers in SoHo.

They must be moving – I mean it’s not like there’s a line outside the current location. It looks empty most of the time. Maybe they want a space with parking and no windows for more anonymity.

This kind of business does boom in recessions, especially in a foreclosure crisis.

Cardiff

Plasma centers make a lot of money selling to the pharmaceutical industry. I doubt they will have a problem paying the rent. There are more lower-income people selling plasma in the neighborhood than some might think, and these places set up shop where their clients are. I’m not thrilled it’s there, though.

kitty

howatzer wrote >>

cyclist II wrote >>
    The rent’s too damn high

That explains all of those plasma centers in SoHo.
    They must be moving – I mean it’s not like there’s a line outside the current location. It looks empty most of the time. Maybe they want a space with parking and no windows for more anonymity.
    This kind of business does boom in recessions, especially in a foreclosure crisis.

There is usually a line in the morning when they open. It seems like they only take so many people a day.

statiusx

No Sir, I don’t like it.

shenanigans

I heard a gay bar was going in this space. Really?…plasma?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 229 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE