Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 229 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

@smallfry – If you’re a landlord, then just come out and say so, don’t hide behind saying how other people would act if they were landlords, since obviously they don’t all act like you suggest. All you’re really saying is that you would act that way if you were a landlord of commercial space. Landlords look for business tenants for all kind of reasons. I’ve seen many tenants turned down, even if their ideas would’ve made money.

I’ve no interest in Liquid, nor ever did. My only interest is not having more tired concepts with a predestined dead pool opening up in what is otherwise desirable space.

I not sure what a house in Bexley has to do with the particulars of the economics of these two properties or with the area in which they sit. Judging someones business acumen by the house in which live… I’ll just leave it at that (see list of Fl scam artists now in bankruptcy, but who have really nice houses still).

As I already pointed, but perhaps you missed in your rush to draw yet more false equivalencies, there already was at least one high profile tenant seriously interested walked away because of the shenanigans. The preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to the preponderance of your conjecture, all points either a complete misreading of the economics of the area by the landlord, or, a financially strapped landlord who needs cash flow beyond what businesses can sustain at those locations. That there’s a business mark born every number of months or so only reinforces that.

rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

@smallfry
    – If you’re a landlord, then just come out and say so, don’t hide behind saying how other people would act if they were landlords, since obviously they don’t all act like you suggest.

smallfry wrote >>

#1 I am a landlord, of multi families, and farmland.

Liner Notes
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>

Liner Notes wrote >>
    I think this can be viewed as a health safety concern. Since my business was once located right next door to the current plasma center, I can speak from experience. Everyday (yes everyday) I went to work there would be bloody gauze on the ground in front of my shop, as well as in the alley behind my shop. Expand to increase the number of those donating and it seems to make sense that there will be an increase in the bio hazard on the sidewalks.

That whole statement just reeks of class warfare! Who are you to say you shouldn’t have to walk over bloody gauze? Man, you must have grown up privileged.

You caught me Tigertree! I am anti-vampire. However, I am pro-flesh eating zombie. Someone please open a burger joint around here fast!

Paul
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Okay but seriously, how many accounts has BUTerrier had now? Forty thousand? Eighty thousand?

20kinBUTerriersmallmypocketfry? Am I missing one?

I wonder if they have ever heard of the words ‘social enterprise’ or would that concept cause their head to explode like the fembots in Austin Powers?

labi
    Participant

the question was raised >>
    I not sure what a house in Bexley has to do with the particulars of the economics of these two properties or with the area in which they sit.

@smallfry (among the few who seem confused on this point): Let me spell it out to you. The house in Bexley is relevant to this thread because: he doesn’t live here. Doesn’t live in a community where this kind of shit would fly. If he tried to pull this in Bexley I daresay even his polite Bexley neighbors would be on his ass. But he apparently feels it’s fine to sic it on someone else’s neighborhood. Because it’s legal and all.

“Class warfare” my fucking ass. Make excuses for yourself all you want (and of course I’m speaking generally here, since I’m sure smallfry is a really fine upstanding community-concerned individual), but what landlords do matters, evan as it seems in my experience that it matters to them less and less the farther away from their properties they live.

bman
    Participant

ok, I posted previously and said I would not want a plasma center in my backyard either so don’t pile on here … BUT … I have to agree with SmallFry in that if I was a landlord I would be more worried about turning a profit on my investment and that a corporate entity such as a plasma center does seem a little more viable as a tenant for the long term than a start up bar in that location by someone who thinks we need another country western bar in the SN. As for the comment about stepping over bloody gauze I would turn that in to the health department but how is that different than stepping over piles of vomit from having a club next door?

If I was a landlord, my concern would not be how my property can benefit those who happen to live near my property but my concern would be to get a good, timely paying tenant in my property and increase my net wealth. If you guys all think a person needs to have the interest of the SN area in his business decisions then open up a real estate development company and only rent to those entities that fit your view of the area.

Consider this as a +1 for SmallFry.

labi
    Participant

bman wrote >>
    If I was a landlord, my concern would not be how my property can benefit those who happen to live near my property but my concern would be to get a good, timely paying tenant in my property and increase my net wealth. If you guys all think a person needs to have the interest of the SN area in his business decisions then open up a real estate development company and only rent to those entities that fit your view of the area.

The two “concerns” you present are not mutually exclusive. As someone already pointed out, the SN is what it is today because people like Sandy Wood did both.

Schoolboy
    Participant

why would any landlord want a tennant in their property that could and probably will devalue their property’s worth?

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

bman wrote >>
    As for the comment about stepping over bloody gauze I would turn that in to the health department but how is that different than stepping over piles of vomit from having a club next door?

for the record: i was LITERALLY little brother’s next door neighbor for almost 4 years, and never once had vomit in front of my store from the club.

i was 5 or so doors down from the plasmacenter, and i encountered the bloody gauze on a weekly basis.

so there’s that . . .

bman
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote >>
    why would any landlord want a tennant in their property that could and probably will devalue their property’s worth?

A plasma center devalue’s your property? If this landlord shows a profit from this tenant over years … and the tenant is willing to pay the rent how does that devalue the property? It’s all about show me your business case and your profitability … if bar was in that spot and did fabulous it would hold its value too … as a landlord you want your facility occupied, period!

bman
    Participant

bastardsuperstar wrote >>

bman wrote >>
    As for the comment about stepping over bloody gauze I would turn that in to the health department but how is that different than stepping over piles of vomit from having a club next door?

for the record: i was LITERALLY little brother’s next door neighbor for almost 4 years, and never once had vomit in front of my store from the club.
    i was 5 or so doors down from the plasmacenter, and i encountered the bloody gauze on a weekly basis.
    so there’s that . . .

ok

Liner Notes
    Participant

bastardsuperstar wrote >>

bman wrote >>

so there’s that . . .

The difference is that the bar/restaurants located on this block actually do care enough to clean up in front of their establishments. And a good handful of the property owners, business owners, employees, and patrons of the businesses in this area are active in the community. We actually see a value beyond deep pockets.

Tigertree

And I will add to that, that many have realized and profited on the fact that Columbus is a community willing to support those who support it. The fact that the Wood Companies curate their tenant mix makes it more desirable to be a tenant of a Wood Companies property. The way one creates competition isn’t necessarily the same in every community.

tzt

The bar that was once there did fabulously enough to agree to a 20 rent increase when the landlord found someone else willing to pay 40 percent more (Liquid). That particular bar was in a lease when the landlord bought the building, and in the several years he owned it, the bar endured rent increases of over 100 percent & was also made to take on tax and insurance for the building. The increases in overhead had long been blown out of the water before that final 40 percent gouge.

The bar that closed did not close in debt and had a great track record with the city, liquor board, fire department, etc. It closed because staying on with that increase would have been suicidal for the business and the owner did not want to endure the process of relocating.

JonMyers
    Participant

tzt wrote >>
    The bar that was once there did fabulously enough to agree to a 20 rent increase when the landlord found someone else willing to pay 40 percent more (Liquid). That particular bar was in a lease when the landlord bought the building, and in the several years he owned it, the bar endured rent increases of over 100 percent & was also made to take on tax and insurance for the building. The increases in overhead had long been blown out of the water before that final 40 percent gouge.
    The bar that closed did not close in debt and had a great track record with the city, liquor board, fire department, etc. It closed because staying on with that increase would have been suicidal for the business and the owner did not want to endure the process of relocating.

+1 – $40 a square foot in that location in the Short North is fucking nuts.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 229 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.