Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 229 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

@smallfry – based on the current site’s rent profile, only a business involving white powder measured in kilos is going to pay that price comfortably. Based on the private comments I’ve already heard from nationally experienced site selectors the high rent is the least of the issues when dealing with the current landlord (so there’s your answer as to why a major didn’t close a deal).

At the two sites listed, you’ve got buildings that were bought cheap during ’99/’00, not speculated on in the recent run-up (do check out the auditor’s web site). Last I heard, the ask for the Byzantium site was somewhere north of $40/sqft. Given the general flow of area retail traffic, that’s a pretty ambitious number, and a lot of people would call it crazy. It’s certainly well above what is necessary to service the original sale value/taxes on the property and provide a decent margin to a landlord. Now, I’ll speculate that someone could have refi’d them at the height of the real estate boom and now has to try to service a cash flow problem (and hence has become a tenant problem). I don’t know if the county’s auditor would know that (though one space has evidently been re-appraised since the sale), but it’s certainly plausible that that has played a role.

In multiple cases, this points to the weak financial point being the landlord, not the tenants. Now, maybe they’ll find tenants that can make the rents they’re asking, but my guess is they won’t find survivable tenants, only suckerable.

Bonus Item I: Sam “Grocery Man” Zell is a complete and utter knucklehead. Whatever smarts people thought he had evaporated with his wanton, and likely illegal, destruction of the Tribune Corp. I wouldn’t get in the habit of name-dropping his at parties, being there’s a large amount of Tribune current and ex-employees that have a nearly homicidal tic for the guy.

Bonus Item II: Sandy Wood’s done quite well renting to small businesses, art galleries in particular, in the SN, among others. Since you obviously aren’t a landlord, don’t know building history in the SN, and don’t know the landlords in the SN, though you seem to enjoy writing uninformed commentary, do try to avoid the needless death of pixels by quoting the mythical “real estate 101” text when a lot of the facts on this particular topic are available.

smallfry

myliftkk wrote >>
    @smallfry – based on the current site’s rent profile, only a business involving white powder measured in kilos is going to pay that price comfortably. Based on the private comments I’ve already heard from nationally experienced site selectors the high rent is the least of the issues when dealing with the current landlord (so there’s your answer as to why a major didn’t close a deal).
    At the two sites listed, you’ve got buildings that were bought cheap during ’99/’00, not speculated on in the recent run-up (do check out the auditor’s web site). Last I heard, the ask for the Byzantium site was somewhere north of $40/sqft. Given the general flow of area retail traffic, that’s a pretty ambitious number, and a lot of people would call it crazy. It’s certainly well above what is necessary to service the original sale value/taxes on the property and provide a decent margin to a landlord. Now, I’ll speculate that someone could have refi’d them at the height of the real estate boom and now has to try to service a cash flow problem (and hence has become a tenant problem). I don’t know if the county’s auditor would know that (though one space has evidently been re-appraised since the sale), but it’s certainly plausible that that has played a role.
    In multiple cases, this points to the weak financial point being the landlord, not the tenants. Now, maybe they’ll find tenants that can make the rents they’re asking, but my guess is they won’t find survivable tenants, only suckerable.
    Bonus Item I: Sam “Grocery Man” Zell is a complete and utter knucklehead. Whatever smarts people thought he had evaporated with his wanton, and likely illegal, destruction of the Tribune Corp. I wouldn’t get in the habit of name-dropping his at parties, being there’s a large amount of Tribune current and ex-employees that have a nearly homicidal tic for the guy.
    Bonus Item II: Sandy Wood’s done quite well renting to small businesses, art galleries in particular, in the SN, among others. Since you obviously aren’t a landlord, don’t know building history in the SN, and don’t know the landlords in the SN, though you seem to enjoy writing uninformed commentary, do try to avoid the needless death of pixels by quoting the mythical “real estate 101” text when a lot of the facts on this particular topic are available.

#1 I am a landlord, of multi families, and farmland.
    #2 Apparently the plasma center believes they can survive in this building.
    #3 I have no comment on Sam Zell as I have somewhat of a personal relationship with him, and briefly dated his daughter a few years back.

While I do not know the specifics of the deal, at the end of the day he was able to lease it to a company. I assume the plasma center is part of a larger company, though I have no idea, but I am willing to bet it is much more stable than Liquid. I have no idea about the condition of the building because I have not stepped foot in it in about 10 years.

So I have no idea why you come off so hateful, maybe you were a Liquid employee? But at the end of the day this guy has a multi million dollar home in Bexley, so he has to have done something right in real estate hasnt he?

JonMyers
    Participant

@smallfry if he is “doing something right” he would be a community partner like the Wood Companies and give a shit about who he leases the space to, not just lining his pockets.

smallfry

JonMyers wrote >>
    @smallfry if he is “doing something right” he would be a community partner like the Wood Companies and give a shit about who he leases the space to, not just lining his pockets.

HE does not have to be a community partner, would it be nice if he was? Of course. While that is ideal, he has no responsibilities to do anything for anyone other than his family, which by “lining his pockets” he is doing. If he received some sort of public funds to acquire this building, then yes I agree, he does have a duty to the community, but I doubt he did.

IT his money, and he can do with it as he sees fit. He appears to have been successful financially in real estate though I have no idea about his personal net worth, so maybe he is damn near flat broke, I dont know.

AGain, I agree this sucks for the neighborhood, but in AMERICA, in the land of the free, the home of the brave, he can do what he wants, and this is a failure of business owners, not the landlord. IF he loses money on this investment, then he loses money, that is his fault, and I will not cry for him.

Now, maybe the Plasma place goes bankrupt, and he has an empty building again, then he should look at his strategy because he might be losing money on these deals.

ehill27
    Participant

Your vision of America fills me with pride.

JonMyers
    Participant

@smallfry yes, I’m quite familiar with how capitalism works. Thanks for the lesson though.

Again, there is more to “doing things right” than just grabbing cash.

smallfry

JonMyers wrote >>
    @smallfry yes, I’m quite familiar with how capitalism works. Thanks for the lesson.
    Again, there is more to “doing things right” than just grabbing cash.

What do you think his intentions were when he acquired this building? If he is indeed doing the wrong thing, then he will see that by losing money. That is what is great about America. IF you want to be a community partner, then you can do it, if I want to just get rich, I can do it. As long as neither of us is committing a crime then I am for whatever.

The more and more I think about it, what effect will this really have on the community? I lived in Chicago, and paid 2000 a month for my condo about 6 years ago. In the same building there were section 8 tenants, do you think my neighborhood went to shit in Chicago? It sure didn’t, and more million dollar condos have been built in the neighborhood since then.

Again this stinks of class warfare, both against the rich, and against the poor. Heck, if you want to look at it from a community perspective, he is providing a service to 2 under-served communities. When you really think about it how is a plasma business worse than a punk rock / rap music venue, with graffiti all over the walls of the bathroom, or a lesbian bar? Some people think punk rokers are trashy, some think lesbians are trashy, some think the homeless are trashy. This is class warfare at its finest against both the rich and the poor.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

So when is the CU Meetup at the new Plasma Donation Center?

desecration
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    So when is the CU Meetup at the new Plasma Donation Center?

Possibly in June with the next season opener of True Blood. Walker? ;)

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

smallfry wrote >>
    If he is indeed doing the wrong thing, then he will see that by losing money.

Ha ha ha, what? Seriously? That’s the dumbest thing I ever–

smallfry wrote >>
    This is class warfare at its finest against both the rich and the poor.

whoops, spoke too soon!

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Okay but seriously, how many accounts has BUTerrier had now? Forty thousand? Eighty thousand?

smallfry

JimL2 wrote >>

smallfry wrote >>

Ha ha ha, what? Seriously? That’s the dumbest thing I ever–

smallfry wrote >>
    This is class warfare at its finest against both the rich and the poor.

whoops, spoke too soon!

Yea, because people invest in commercial real estate for reasons other than return on their investment. HAve you ever made any investment in anything? Do you own stocks? Do you have a 401k? It sure does not sound like it.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I think this can be viewed as a health safety concern. Since my business was once located right next door to the current plasma center, I can speak from experience. Everyday (yes everyday) I went to work there would be bloody gauze on the ground in front of my shop, as well as in the alley behind my shop. Expand to increase the number of those donating and it seems to make sense that there will be an increase in the bio hazard on the sidewalks.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

smallfry wrote

smallfry wrote >>
    Yea, because people invest in commercial real estate for reasons other than return on their investment.

I’m just really intrigued by your worldview. Because based on your postings, you are literally incapable of separating “doing what is right” and “turning a profit.” In your mind’s eye the venn diagram of “actions which are morally correct” and “actions which maximize return on investment” is a single circle.

I mean correct me if I’m wrong, because I don’t have anything to base this on other than your own words that you wrote yourself in a public forum. But whenever someone in this thread has tried to explain to you that perhaps this landlord could–not even “should,” but could!–be concerned about something other than maximizing the short-term fiscal return on his real estate investment, the explanation not only flies completely over your head but you start babbling about collectivization and class warfare.

I don’t think there’s a way to explain the difference between ethical and non-ethical behavior that would be simple enough for you to understand it. I don’t think there are short enough words capable of expressing the (admittedly abstract but fairly universally understood) concept of “what is right.” I mean, it can’t be expressed as a spreadsheet, so I feel a little at a loss.

But let’s try a little thought experiment. Tell me, at what price point would you literally sell your soul? What’s the cost-benefit ratio on that?

Or am I too late to be phrasing that question as a hypothetical?

Tigertree

Liner Notes wrote >>
    I think this can be viewed as a health safety concern. Since my business was once located right next door to the current plasma center, I can speak from experience. Everyday (yes everyday) I went to work there would be bloody gauze on the ground in front of my shop, as well as in the alley behind my shop. Expand to increase the number of those donating and it seems to make sense that there will be an increase in the bio hazard on the sidewalks.

That whole statement just reeks of class warfare! Who are you to say you shouldn’t have to walk over bloody gauze? Man, you must have grown up privileged.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 229 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!