Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Former Liquid Space in Short North to Become Plasma Donation Center

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 229 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

Jealous much?

Just that he looks like the bad guy in Sharky’s Machine.

That guy is awesome.

ehill27
    Participant

In the case of a relocation, the upside to this (desecration of Little Brothers) is that it would open up the potential for multiple retail spaces in the former space.

smallfry

Core_Models wrote >>

Jealous much?

Just that he looks like the bad guy in Sharky’s Machine.
    That guy is awesome.

I don’t even know who that is? In case I came off to crass I would be upset too if I bought a unit at the Jackson, or had some other business interest in that immediate area. However, the blame is placed on the owner, but to me, he is doing his job, making money. I think the blame should be placed on someone else. A new plasma center is definitely bad, but not the owner’s fault.

blammo
    Participant

ehill27 wrote >>
    Any chance the existing plasma center is relocating to Little Bros space?
    Seems hard to imagine that the market can support two plasma centers on the same block.

Yeah, its an extension of the existing plasma joint

Rockmastermike
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

ehill27 wrote >>
    Seems hard to imagine that the market can support two plasma centers on the same block.

so there already IS a plasma joint there and it’s just expanding?

It’s not a new thing it’s just the same thing getting bigger?

I’m not sure I see what the big deal is then. I mean other than the loss of a single establishment (and the space for there to have been another single establishment)

ehill27
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

ehill27 wrote >>

Ugh. Bummer.

Tigertree

Holy shit! I can’t believe this. I really believed the north end was going to see a huge shift in the momentum of the neighborhood between the retailers and restaurants that have moved in and the Jackson but this is awful news. What a waste of an amazing building.

desecration
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    Holy shit! I can’t believe this. I really believed the north end was going to see a huge shift in the momentum of the neighborhood between the retailers and restaurants that have moved in and the Jackson but this is awful news. What a waste of an amazing building.

Josh, you make me want to drink after reading your post. First round on you?

I’d only support this rumored plasma center if it were called Fangtasia, kept the libations flowing for the mortal and immortal and offered vampires a go-go.

Rockmastermike-it’s discouraging and somewhat frustrating for residing businesses in the area. I look out my window and see almost an entire abandoned block… the ghost of Milk Bar, the ghost of High Street Furnishings and Old World New Home, and then the empty corner space and the Garden building for the most part. Revolution Cycles and Blazer’s Pub is holding down their side of the block. On the East side of High, it’s recently become home to a smoke shop (even though there is another similar shop on the same block), a pharmacy, a shop that jailbreaks cell phones, and as of this week Dress For Success. It just seems to be taking on the resemblance of a strip mall, in my opinion.

thecandlelab
    Participant

@smallfry – It is absolutely on the landlord. A good building owner understands that a good tenant mix and connection to the neighborhood will make all the businesses there more viable, which makes the value of the building go up. A short-sighted landlord just sticks someone in there who can pay the rent, and then realizes his mistake 5 years down the road when the neighborhood is empty of other businesses.

I have experience with both kinds of landlords – you want someone who understands the health of the business district is directly linked to finding the RIGHT kind of tenants to build the community.

cc

@candlelab

It goes both ways I guess. I remember the original owner of Accent on Nature (before he died) telling me how he was pushed to the Kingswood building (from the Bank Block) by the Wagenbrenners*. He was very unhappy about the move. What is right can be very subjective.

*intending to create foot traffic on your old block.

smallfry

thecandlelab wrote >>
    @smallfry – It is absolutely on the landlord. A good building owner understands that a good tenant mix and connection to the neighborhood will make all the businesses there more viable, which makes the value of the building go up. A short-sighted landlord just sticks someone in there who can pay the rent, and then realizes his mistake 5 years down the road when the neighborhood is empty of other businesses.
    I have experience with both kinds of landlords – you want someone who understands the health of the business district is directly linked to finding the RIGHT kind of tenants to build the community.

Ehhhhh. A good landlord looks for a tenant that can pay the bills and will be in business 5 years later. This is why a landlord would rather have a chain vs. some mom and pop place. It’s real estate 101. For instance, if you owned that building would you rather lease to the olive garden or to a mom and pop restaurant? I know who i would rather lease to.

Also you speak of appreciation, which in real estate is second to bringing in income. That was the problem over the past few years. PEople who had no idea wtf they were doing invested in real estate with the hopes for easy appreciation, and did not care much more current income. Income > appreciation in real estate. OF course both is the best, and if you get both on every investment, you can become the next sam zell. At least that is what I was taught while obtaining a real estate degree from ohio state.

Again, I sympathize with your situation, but I do not place the blame on the landlord. I place it on entrepreneuers for failing to come up with a sustainable business that could survive in the building. He tried mom and pop with Liquid, look what it got him.

rus
    rus
    Participant

desecration wrote >>
    It just seems to be taking on the resemblance of a strip mall, in my opinion.

On that note, a strip mall would have better parking.

desecration
    Participant

rus wrote >>

desecration wrote >>

wah wah

rus
    rus
    Participant

desecration wrote >>

rus wrote >>

desecration wrote >>

wah wah

Yeah, yeah…

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

smallfry wrote >>
    Ehhhhh. A good landlord looks for a tenant that can pay the bills and will be in business 5 years later.

This landlord squeezed the previous three tenants out, putting them out of business despite the fact that they were able to pay their bills.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 229 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE