Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lionfish on the menu in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Lionfish on the menu in Columbus?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

OSURob
    Participant

If anyone has followed the story of the devestating effects of the Lionfish invasion in Florida and the Caribbean, they would know that the only way to stop this is to get humans to fish them out of existence.

Supposidly, it is a very mild fish and is great cooked in any manor. They are an abundant and relatively cheap fish. I was wondering if anyone had stumbled upon them on a menu here in Columbus. I would love to do my part in fighting the invasion while supporting a local business at the same time! A quick check on yelp revealed no results.

If you are unfamiliar with the lionfish invasion, I suggest you read up on it.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Bizarre Foods did a Keys Edition and they spearfished them and cooked them up. Looked like fun and tasty. Between shooting Iguanas for food and spearfishing Lion Fish you could hunt invasives and fill your freezer down there.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I’ve not seen them on any menu’s locally. They are pretty good, I would describe them as nutty/buttery with texture more like a shellfish.
    We were in Belize a couple of years ago and our dive guide was spearing them left and right and later that was what we had for dinner. You’re right the invasion is quite devastating in the Caribbean. They were everywhere and of course they’re not supposed to be there. In addition to trying to get more chefs to have them on the menu, they are also trying to train the native Groupers to eat them, because right now, they have no predators.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: