Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Like your library? It might be gone by July 1st

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Like your library? It might be gone by July 1st

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/07/01/copy/library-system-puts-bigger-levy-on-ballot.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Columbus library system puts bigger levy on ballot
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 02:55 AM
    By Dean Narciso

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

somertimeoh
    Participant

Is there a way to donate to CML? I’d feel weird walking in to a branch with a check, lol. I always feel conflicted voting for these levies as a renter who isn’t directly affected by it so I’d like to be able to put my money where my mouth is when election time comes around (or now, whatever).

chaptal
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Is there a way to donate to CML? I’d feel weird walking in to a branch with a check, lol. I always feel conflicted voting for these levies as a renter who isn’t directly affected by it so I’d like to be able to put my money where my mouth is when election time comes around (or now, whatever).

The Columbus Library Foundation accepts donations.

http://foundation.columbuslibrary.org/

somertimeoh
    Participant

Awesome, thanks!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pat hinted at this levy in our back in November… from here:

The Evolving Role of the Columbus Metro Library

Pat Losinski: We do have a levy coming up next year. It’s a 10 year levy that was approved in 2000, so we’re going back to our voters in 2010. The first thing we’re doing is making good on the promise to get to 2010. It’s always hard to tell this far out on how much people will support a tax levy, but the library has only had four issues on the ballot in our entire history, and they’ve all passed. I think in many respects, the amount of publicity that there has been around the state budget reductions in library funding and now people seeing libraries closed during the times when they used to be open, certainly helps the understanding for the need for funding. But I think more than anything that this is a community of such veracious library users that they’ve always been strong supporters of the library system and see it as integral to the community. So, I would hope that all of those things move towards a positive sign for us. These are difficult economic times, but it’s been 25 years at the same tax rate for us without a renewal, and that’s a pretty strong story to tell in regards to our accountability and what we’ve delivered over the past 25 years. Hopefully this next generation is going to look at that and say that they’re willing to give the same support that the previous generation did.

gramarye
    Participant

“Veracious?” Eek!

ETA: OK, not a press release, just a transcription of audio to print, so not as big a faux pas as I first thought.

berdawn

gramarye wrote >>
    “Veracious?” Eek!
    ETA: OK, not a press release, just a transcription of audio to print, so not as big a faux pas as I first thought.

I love some of the phonetic spellings that show up on closed captioning.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

You might also cosider joining the Friends of CML. There’s a variety of membership levels and there might be opportunity for greater involvement as the levy campaign ramps up.

Be a Member

Thanks for supporting the library! :)

misterthingy
    Participant

Here’s the new site for all the info. you need if you want to support the economy, democracy, and knowledge: http://www.keepcmlstrong.org

Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER