Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Like your library? It might be gone by July 1st

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Like your library? It might be gone by July 1st

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 219 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Well, if the government handled healthcare, those employers would be more likely to be able to pay those workers $16-18 an hour. Or employ more people at $12 an hour.

ETA: The key word is affordable health insurance. I don’t think it’s enough for an employer to offer coverage with high monthly rates and high deductibles and then blame the employee if they don’t think they can pay for it. Many wealthier workers get very affordable health insurance through their employers – it doesn’t seem fair that many of the less wealthy have to pay more and get less.

joev wrote >>
    Well, if the government handled healthcare, those employers would be more likely to be able to pay those workers $16-18 an hour. Or employ more people at $12 an hour.

Since the imaginary employer in question isn’t paying for healthcare already, why would he pay the workers more if they had government healthcare?

evandavis
    Participant

Did you all see that Gov Stricken-land has now accused the librarians of “over-reacting”, and of deliberately “misleading” the public?
    I’m not sorry I voted against Blackwell, but I am resentful that the Ohio Democratic Party gave us only Strickland as the alternative. He’s like our own version Dan Quayle.

I think library advocates were misleading in this very thread…and overreacted.

gramarye
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Dispatch writes
    However, the Statehouse leaders are expected to further cut higher education to help reduce proposed cuts to libraries, mental-health services and home and community-based services for Medicaid recipients.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/06/30/ohbudget_30.ART_ART_06-30-09_A1_5UEB6CC.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101
    Well, there ya go. Save the libraries, screw higher education.

Sigh. This is what I meant earlier when I talked about “Save X!” never convincing me without answering the question “at the expense of what?” … and why I didn’t sign any of the save-the-library pledges or petitions. Higher ed is even more important, and college costs have already skyrocketed into the stratosphere over the past decade. (When I first looked at OSU as a junior in HS [1999], it was less than $4000/yr for tuition. Now it’s well over $8500. This isn’t even counting room & board, which have similarly mushroomed.) Now, instead of something free becoming not free, something that was already expensive is likely to become even more exclusionary. Or, alternatively, some of the most productive and economically beneficial research in the state (in the country, in some cases) is going to get cut, or flee to other states. Contra those who have suggested that libraries are economic development tools, they are nothing compared to higher education and university-level research.

gramarye
    Participant

evandavis wrote >>
    Did you all see that Gov Stricken-land has now accused the librarians of “over-reacting”, and of deliberately “misleading” the public?
    I’m not sorry I voted against Blackwell, but I am resentful that the Ohio Democratic Party gave us only Strickland as the alternative. He’s like our own version Dan Quayle.

So what would you do? Close all state prisons and scrap the National Guard entirely?

joev
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

+1

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

joev wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

+1

Obviously I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll stand behind everything I’ve posted and said this past week.

jeff_r wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

+1

Obviously I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll stand behind everything I’ve posted and said this past week.

You weren’t one of the advocates I was thinking of jeff, I thought your points were rational and supported.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

The fallout from the State’s newly adopted budget is starting to ripple through Libraryland in Ohio. Locally, the Columbus Metropolitan Library adopted the following changes:

* All 20 branches of CML will be closed on Sundays (except Main Library)
    * Hours cut at all locations. All branches and Main will be open:
    o Monday through Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
    o Friday and Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    o Sunday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. MAIN LIBRARY ONLY
    * Materials budget has been cut back to 1988 levels
    * Hours/pay cut for staff

They’ve also moved a significant amount of money from capital projects to operations. I understand Westerville announced they’ll be closed on Sundays now too.

The Dispatch also had an article on how suburban library’s are fairing. That can be found here:

Suburban Libraries Cut Hours

joev
    Participant

It sounds like they’ve dealt with the reduced funding in a really smart way. Not too many people are hurt too bad, services are reduced ratehr than eliminated. The number of titles ordered will remain similar, but the quantity of popular titles ordered will be smaller. Good job dealing with a crumby situation, CPL leaders!

adrock

has anyone noticed any changes at their local library? i just noticed this at the grandview heights library…i guess they have to do what they have to do to get folks in the door!

adrock

Dear Friends and Supporters:

As many of you know, we had to find ways to alleviate an $8.5 million decline in
    state funding. Therefore, effective Sept. 8, we will be implementing a reduced
    schedule for our Main Library and branches. All locations will have reduced
    hours Monday through Saturday. Only the Main Library at 96 S. Grant Ave. will
    be open on Sundays from 1-5 p.m.

Why Close Sundays?
    We carefully examined usage data to determine the hours that would be reduced.
    Simply put, weekdays are four times busier than the typical Sunday. We did the
    best we could to standardize hours (also allowing us to standardize computer
    operations and our call center, resulting in additional cost savings) for the
    convenience of the largest percentage of library users. We also used our
    strategic plan to guide our actions: Mornings will allow us to serve preschool
    children, a critical segment of the population we serve (Young Minds).

In addition to reduced hours, we’ve made other hard decisions in light of these
    budget cuts, including staff pay cuts and cuts in our materials, technology,
    capital and operations budget.

Thanks for your understanding. We count on our community more than ever during
    this economic crisis. And it is with this support that we are confident that, in
    time, we will be able to restore this magnificent library to the greatness it
    deserves. For ways you can help, visit donate.columbuslibrary.org.

Thank you,
    Patrick Losinski

COLUMBUS METROPOLITAN LIBRARY HOURS
    Branches and Main Library
    Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Sunday
    Main Library: 1-5 p.m.
    All branches closed

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Nice editorial in Dispatch today regarding libraries and their success on the ballot last Tueaday.

It seems clear that voters really do value their libraries:

Serving the Community

dsigner
    Participant

I just emailed. Thanks for sharing word about this concern. If anything, as I wrote, we should look to expand the role of libraries as hubs of our communities… arts, job-retraining, educational programs. I am always happy to run into such a diverse cross-section of the population, not to mention tremendous staff. The hours have already been cut back significantly. And, this may be an over-generalization, but many local libraries serve populations that won’t have access to such services elsewhere… internet, books, place to do homework. I think there’s room to get creative about re-defining what it means to be a library (e.g., maybe less inventory) but I have always valued them in my community.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 219 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: