Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

lifestyle catching up with me - anyone else suffer from gout?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat lifestyle catching up with me – anyone else suffer from gout?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

tobyb

I definitely have to step it down a notch. I frequently eat out at the usual places in the SN and Downtown and usually wash it down with a pint or two. Last weekend I had my first ever gout attack. I had no clue what it was but I was in excrutiating pain for the entire weekend and after I could no longer walk I went to the ER and was prescribed some nsaids and vicodin. Anyone else have this? Any home readies to keep this from happening again?

thanks

buckette13

My brother in law has had this. Cut down or eliminate alcohol. Cut down on rich foods and lose weight. Long term gout can do serious permanent damage to your joints so take notice, it is your body giving a wake up call.

patient_zero
    Participant

Ouch. My mom gets the gout more frequently than she would like. She doesn’t each much seafood or pickled foods that increase the build up of uric acid, but she also doesn’t eat enough dark berries, and refuses to drink sour cherry juice that would benefit her greatly. A daily diet that includes dark berries, sour cherries and or sour cherry juice may be good for you.

Bobby from King of the Hill got the gout from eating too many capers when he was introduced to them at La Grunta resort.

billbix

I had an attack of the gout about a year ago. It was extremely painful and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. At the time I did some research and heard that cherry juice, a couple of teaspoons of baking soda, apple cider vinegar and keeping hydrated all helped to cut down on the uric acid levels. Also wear socks at night as crystals form at cool temperatures (why most attacks start at night).

Basically though, you need to watch what you eat and how much you drink. The doctor said that it was on the rise and a lot has to do with how much our generation tends to eat out and the general richness of the foods served at a lot of the restaurants. It is no longer reserved for middle aged men. The best control is a healthy diet. I started packing my lunch and eating my veggies. Knock on wood, it has not been back.

tdziemia
    Participant

Have you seen a doctor? If you read a bit of the literature out there, gout is largely due to congenital issues with metabolizing nitrogen-containing compounds, and NOT due to lifestyle, although lifestyle choices could trigger attacks.

There are also medications available to control it.

tobyb

tdziemia said:
    Have you seen a doctor? If you read a bit of the literature out there, gout is largely due to congenital issues with metabolizing nitrogen-containing compounds, and NOT due to lifestyle, although lifestyle choices could trigger attacks.

There are also medications available to control it.

Yes, a doctor prescribed the Nsaids. He also gave me a bunch of literature. There are groups of people who it is more common in, but gout in general has been increasing. Cases have doubled in the last 10 years. From what I have read Gout is common in humans because the gene in humans (and great apes) that produces uricase has been switched off during evolution. That is what breaks down uric acid in other animals, including other mammals.

Humans do have a gene for urate oxidase, but it is nonfunctional. Thus uric acid is the end product of catabolism of purines in humans. Excessive concentration of uric acid in the blood stream leads to gout.
    Urate oxidase is found in all organisms, from bacteria to mammals, and plays different metabolic roles, depending on its host organism. It was lost in early primate evolution, and so is absent in humans.

All of the literature I was given stressed the importance of lifestyle changes. My doctor wants to put me on Allopurinol to avoid a future flare up but I am hoping to avoid that. I think I am too young to be carrying around pill cases.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and will pick up a bottle of cherry juice tomorrow. Baking soda sounds awful and I imagine is probably very high in salt, the last thing I want is high blood pressure to boot. My experience with gout though, is one I do not want to repeat.

tdziemia
    Participant

Sounds like a good approach! Yes, it’s nice to avoid chronic medications if you can. I’m probably double your age, and am one of the few people my age I know who isn’t on any medications. I chalk it up to these simple things: genetics (my parents both lived till their 80s and had very unhealthy lifestyles, but had no chronic disease that wasn;t cause by their lifestyle), I never smoked, I eat healthfully meaning very few processed foods and few meals out, and most of my life I’ve been able to find the time to exercise 20-30 min/day.

Like many things in life, it ain’t rocket science, just developing habits. Yeah, I could still get hit by the proverbial beer truck, but it’s unlikely it’ll be something preventable.

Good luck with your efforts to eat better. I guess salt isn’t the leading factor for hypertension, but it is insidious. Any time I eat out, I’m thirsty the rest of the evening, because all restaurant food is saltier than my own cooking. Same goes for processed foods.

tobyb

tdziemia said:
    Sounds like a good approach! Yes, it’s nice to avoid chronic medications if you can. I’m probably double your age, and am one of the few people my age I know who isn’t on any medications. I chalk it up to these simple things: genetics (my parents both lived till their 80s and had very unhealthy lifestyles, but had no chronic disease that wasn;t cause by their lifestyle), I never smoked, I eat healthfully meaning very few processed foods and few meals out, and most of my life I’ve been able to find the time to exercise 20-30 min/day.

Yeah, I am 27 and about 20 pounds overweight. I will try to cut back on eating and drinking out and eat less processed foods. Making it myself will let me have some control over it and maybe leave a little for a gym membership.

That I share a disease with Bobby Hill makes me even more motivated.

Polis
    Participant

As far as your weight is concerned, I would ask your doctor if he/she can measure your body fat percentage or at least discuss your body composition. While you may be 20 lbs over-weight, if you are not fit those 20 lbs will make a larger impact on your health.

I’m not sure how weight effects gout flare-ups but as a general way to improve your overall health I recommend starting to lift weights along with cardio and a change in diet. Obviously this is over simplified and you probably already know this but if you want some recommendations on where to find programs or info feel free to message me.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Polis said:
    As far as your weight is concerned, I would ask your doctor if he/she can measure your body fat percentage or at least discuss your body composition. While you may be 20 lbs over-weight, if you are not fit those 20 lbs will make a larger impact on your health.

You can get a good idea here:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

Use a flexible tape measure to measure waist at belly button.

Review results here:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

mrpoppinzs

After college I used to go out about 6 times a week. I physically couldn’t do that anymore. With all of these new grocery stores opening up I am going to make a concerted effort to start making meals at home. From what I have read, gout seems really nasty and can become a chronic problem with permanent arthritic effects. It is your body’s no uncertain terms way of telling you, you are doing it wrong.

leftovers

My wife and I have started planning on having a baby. We decided to cut down on ‘going out’ (lunches and evenings out) to save money. What has been a real surprise is the added health benefits we have experienced in the last year. Our doctor was surprised by how everything has improved so much. I think a lot of it has to do with not controlling what goes into the dishes in a restaurant (taste probably beats healthfulness) and not having the portion control as you do at home (if I paid for it, I’m eating it – mentality).

Anonymous
    Inactive

My brother and father both suffered from the Gout. When my father was first diagnosed, the doctor tried to control it with dietary changes. Lamb was on his good list and he exploited that for all he could.
    It wouldn’t hurt to track your diet and try to correlate specific triggers.
    I understand that Allopurinol has some unpleasant side effects.

susank

This seems like another case of the ‘realization that you can’t eat everything you want’.

mrmann

My uncle has severe gout flare ups. He is a tough old navy man and it will lay him in bed for a week. It has spread to his knees and hands. I don’t know much about it, but it isn’t something I would mess with.

Cherry juice sounds nice, but make sure you aren’t avoiding treatment that could save you a lot of problems in the long run. From what I know it is a chronic and progressive ailment. I have heard him call it diabetes of the joints.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION