Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

life & electricity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion life & electricity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Might be a good learning experience. But like civilization, though am open to changing my mind. Like cities, perhaps as a hopeless anthropophile.

Don’t yet agree with Derrick Jensen, John Zerzan, and other folk who claim civilization itself is the problem.

Still think we can have it w/o destroying the ecosphere. Jensen and Zerzan would say I’m deluded. What do you think?

Well to be honest man, I think we are a big part of the problem I firmly believe we will be the reason if we self-destruct. While you may be, open to changing your mind or find yourself enlightened by another’s opinion that may be different from your own. Many people refuse to enlighten themselves or give up the things that will eventually take us down. People are excessively spoiled and self-righteous so the chance of changing a million minds about something is slim. The best thing you can do is learn to live and let live because we know something’s just can’t be fixed.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

@ miss kitty: I’m a work-in-progress when it comes to this, but am seeking to engage people’s hearts and minds, and not, per se, trying to win them.

That’s one of reasons I started a new site. Not much to look at yet, but it’s based on working with people—w/ our heads, hearts, and our hands—on meeting our needs by having better relationships among humans and between humans and other life forms.

Not presenting it as necessarily progressive or conservative or vegan or whatever. Not shying away from those terms, but would like to not let labels block us from seeing the core issues, which IMOO, are survival and quality of life. Here Now Beyond

derm
    derm
    Participant

I like the one that the guy did as it is easily modified and can be made more powerful. You could easily have a home solar system power backup with a Harbor Freight kit and a deep cycle batt from NAPA, 250 bucks done in half an hour.

irresistiblue
    Participant

That’s a great point derm. Right now I’m actually exploring ways to use my Chevy Volt as a “backup” generator resource via using the battery, to which once the battery is drained the gas generator would kick in an charge. Not that I would do this often, but in a pinch it could be a handy supply.

Who knew the volt could have additional uses other than forcing a huge piece of metal down the road at 65 mph. If it can do that, surely it could run a fridge and a light or two!

derm
    derm
    Participant

irresistiblue said:
    That’s a great point derm. Right now I’m actually exploring ways to use my Chevy Volt as a “backup” generator resource via using the battery, to which once the battery is drained the gas generator would kick in an charge. Not that I would do this often, but in a pinch it could be a handy supply.

Who knew the volt could have additional uses other than forcing a huge piece of metal down the road at 65 mph. If it can do that, surely it could run a fridge and a light or two!

Heck if you are going to use the car as a generator, just get one of these or something similar

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-RPPI-1500W-1200-Power-Inverter/dp/B001JT0M5O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_5

Have to hook it straight to the battery, if you use the cig lighter for the big inverters you fry the wiring and blow the fuse for it. Need to make sure the alternator on your car can handle it, this is for truckers. You cannot run any size inverter off a car battery without the car running, maybe 100-200 watts is all.

These can run your fridge, chest freezer and possibly even the fan on your heater if you use gas heat. Good things in an emergency. I have this exact model. Defeats the purpose of the solar and renewable, but would keep your food cold and your feet warm in the event of a snow storm power outage. I use my solar panels for warm weather power outages/camping/goofing off/experimenting and this rascal for the winter ones when you dont have as much sun to charge anything.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

My sister and her husband had an apartment in Worthington with a natural-draft gas furnace, no fan. He could make the thermocouple work from a 6V battery, and they could have heat when there was no power.

derm
    derm
    Participant

My furnace has about a 1.5 hp fan. It does not have a large wattage draw at steady state, but would have quite the surge wattage. Right up near the top of my inverter range. I would only chance it in an emergency.

One thing to add, I have posted about large systems, but that is not really the usage for Tom. This is the neatest solar thing I have that gets the most use, with the most utility. Powers 4 Eneloops from a small solar panel in a tiny jump pack that has an LED flashlight on the case. Ports out to USB to charge phones and what not, or take the charged Eneloops out to run other things.
    http://www.amazon.com/Goal-19006-Guide-Adventure-Batteries/dp/B004OHIYLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339100691&sr=8-1

Keep in your backpack and put the panel on the back as you bike around town to charge it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

derm said:
    Keep in your backpack and put the panel on the back as you bike around town to charge it.

Knew a guy who used a similar set up in afghanistan. Got a lot of favors from charging up ipods and such out in the field.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen
    Participant

rus said:
    http://gajitz.com/coolest-hack-ever-cool-water-pipes-fan-diy-ac/?ref=search&utm_source=images

That is awesome! Of course, I would electrocute myself. Heh.

Back in my no-A/C days, fill my dish tub with water and prop up my box fan to blow across it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    That is awesome! Of course, I would electrocute myself. Heh.

Seen similar set ups for keeping water flowing through a liebling condenser; so long as the connections are good leaks aren’t a problem. Keeping the water cold, though, tends to be. Better to use frozen containers of water rather than just dumping ice in the bucket. Prevents overflow.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

rus said:
    http://gajitz.com/coolest-hack-ever-cool-water-pipes-fan-diy-ac/?ref=search&utm_source=images

Ingenuity: let’s use it in harmony with nature, instead of trying to ‘conquer’ it. Via the latter, we might join the dinosaurs sooner.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: