Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

life & electricity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion life & electricity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Ah, snuggling into bed, wearing wet clothes and a headlamp, with the smell of fermenting pee wafting through a hot house.

Read more carefully next time.
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/how-clean-is-columbus-water/page/2#post-436819

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

derm said:
    Tom, my family has a popup that we use for camping that when we take it off grid a bit, we run straight off a 12v deep cycle battery. Over the years I have done little modifications for energy efficiency that I use to keep my amp-hour draw down as well as it transitions very well for home use during power outages. It might have some use for you if you have an interest. LED’s use a fraction of the power as regular lights, even CFL’s. If you have any electrical background and a soldering gun you would be surprised at what is doable.

Head to Ebay and look at this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390306453952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2876wt_940

with this plugged in
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-1-LED-74-T5-Dashboard-Car-Mini-Wedge-Round-Bulbs-Super-White-12-volt-DC-New-/140762441924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c61868c4&vxp=mtr

You could put these in places in the house that you could run for weeks off a 12v battery before you needed to charge it. Get a solar charger and you are set.

Damn! And both together barely cost $5. Shipping cost likely won’t be an issue either. Will try this and get back to let you know how it goes. Thanks for offering intelligent feedback.

derm
    derm
    Participant

When you get more comfortable with electronics and LED’s, five bucks is a fortune to spend. Use this website

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

get some 5mm LED’s,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-100pcs-5mm-blue-water-clear-Ultra-bright-Leds-8000mcd-5bb4hc-/370618022713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a8e3b39#ht_2297wt_932

a few resistors,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-Resistor-1-4W-5-ANY-ASSORTMENT-resistors-/120908351107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c26b30683#ht_1450wt_698

some solder and make your own stuff at home. Easiest with 9v, but doable with AA or AAA if you have some battery compartments scavenged from toys or what not. Here is a very easy homemade 9v lantern to practice with.

http://www.ajnin.com/diy/packedlight-9v-diy-led-flashlight/

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not criticizing, but I’m guessing Derm’s avatar (which is all kinds of awesome) uses more electricitys than the Derm family uses while camping.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Speaking of camping, you can get campsites with or without electricity. If you’ve never been to a campsite with electricity, there’s a post with a few standard outlets. I have never seen an electrified campsite with any kind of meter.

I’ve contentedly boiled water in a kettle and fried breakfast in a skillet, with no fire. I’ve run a small room heater in a tent in cold weather (that works well BTW). Other people hang strings of lanterns or run AC for a bus-sized RV. The parks pick up the bill.

How long until each site has its own meter? Maybe some private campgrounds already do that, I don’t know.

derm
    derm
    Participant

alexs said:
    Speaking of camping, you can get campsites with or without electricity. If you’ve never been to a campsite with electricity, there’s a post with a few standard outlets. I have never seen an electrified campsite with any kind of meter.

I’ve contentedly boiled water in a kettle and fried breakfast in a skillet, with no fire. I’ve run a small room heater in a tent in cold weather (that works well BTW). Other people hang strings of lanterns or run AC for a bus-sized RV. The parks pick up the bill.

How long until each site has its own meter? Maybe some private campgrounds already do that, I don’t know.

Most of the time the park charges a couple extra bucks for electric sites to pick up the cost. Other times the park charges extra if the site is awesome in location. We scored a lakeside spot on Kelley’s later this summer that has no electric, but is right on the water, which is nice. A few bucks extra per night, but way worth it. Ohio State Parks are so far behind on basic maintenance that I doubt they do that upgrade, I am always pleasantly suprised when my electric functions.

misskitty
    Participant

So I saw this show the other day called Mountain Men. Tom have you gave being a Mountain man any consideration it seems like the best way to cut off from the grid. After seeing it I know for sure that I will at some point be a Mountain chick for sure. It’s so real and so away from life it looks awesome and seems to be the best form of rebellion against the ideas that are set today.

irresistiblue
    Participant

Great video:

irresistiblue
    Participant

I appreciate TomOver’s perspective. I myself don’t mind 95 degree weather. But what works well for me is cooling, with a box fan, my home at night and sealing it up during the day. It usually stays between a very tolerable 70 and 80 degrees throughout the day.

Also, urine can be a plant food as it contains nitrogen and phosphorus. Seems to make sense to consider it a valuable free product.

I personally haven’t managed to only use a head lamp while walking in my home in the dark, though I’ve switched to LED light bulbs which are pretty efficient. Some of them are pretty snazzy.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

irresistiblue said:
    I appreciate TomOver’s perspective. I myself don’t mind 95 degree weather. But what works well for me is cooling, with a box fan, my home at night and sealing it up during the day. It usually stays between a very tolerable 70 and 80 degrees throughout the day.

Also, urine can be a plant food as it contains nitrogen and phosphorus. Seems to make sense to consider it a valuable free product.

I personally haven’t managed to only use a head lamp while walking in my home in the dark, though I’ve switched to LED light bulbs which are pretty efficient. Some of them are pretty snazzy.

Headlamp works for walking room to room and doing various tasks such as showering, preparing food, general cleaning, and so on. But I get eyestrain if I’m using it with a computer screen. Can type blind, but can’t read or do web searches that way. Sitting still with a headlamp gets interesting w/ a moth or two in the room.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

misskitty said:
    So I saw this show the other day called Mountain Men. Tom have you gave being a Mountain man any consideration it seems like the best way to cut off from the grid. After seeing it I know for sure that I will at some point be a Mountain chick for sure. It’s so real and so away from life it looks awesome and seems to be the best form of rebellion against the ideas that are set today.

Might be a good learning experience. But like civilization, though am open to changing my mind. Like cities, perhaps as a hopeless anthropophile.

Don’t yet agree with Derrick Jensen, John Zerzan, and other folk who claim civilization itself is the problem.

Still think we can have it w/o destroying the ecosphere. Jensen and Zerzan would say I’m deluded. What do you think?

irresistiblue
    Participant

TomOver said:

Still think we can have it w/o destroying the ecosphere. Jensen and Zerzan would say I’m deluded. What do you think?

I think so… but I think it requires a simpler way of living. Simple meaning a life without enormous energy use for every aspect.

derm
    derm
    Participant

This is a project that I have been working over in my head for awhile that I think you may be interested in. I covet the Goal Zero Yeti, but alas do not have 2000 dollars to spend. I know I can build an equal for under 500. This guy built a cool one for 388. Charge during the day, use over night or for several days. Easily modified as well

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/specialty-forums/survival-emergency-preparedness/445440-diy-solar-generator.html#post5936855

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

derm said:
    This is a project that I have been working over in my head for awhile that I think you may be interested in. I covet the Goal Zero Yeti, but alas do not have 2000 dollars to spend. I know I can build an equal for under 500. This guy built a cool one for 388. Charge during the day, use over night or for several days. Easily modified as well

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/specialty-forums/survival-emergency-preparedness/445440-diy-solar-generator.html#post5936855

Looks like a good forum Derm. Just signed up.

irresistiblue
    Participant

derm said:

That’s a pretty cool solar boom box. The Yeti looks pretty sweet, but man that’s expensive. I wish solar were cheaper. I appreciate the creativity from the DIY link, but I don’t have much free time right now to build something like that. Thanks for sharing, maybe in the future I’ll poke around and see what I can build :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION