Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

life & electricity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion life & electricity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

To do less instead of impossibly trying to do no harm, been using an electric rotary fan instead of using a window ac. Been using a headlamp camping stores sell, so as to turn fewer, sometimes none, of the house lights on.

Can walk room to room, illuminating only the necessary sections, instead of making a pathway of lighted rooms and hallways. Started this after catching myself leaving lights on from the basement to the attic when stressed and hurried.

Using a headlamp also fixes the problem of turning lights on and off, going about the house. Can tie the headband of the water-resistant lamp to a shower curtain rod for lighting. Shoelaces hold it to bike helmet for synchronized lamp-head coordination while cycling. Keeping the lamp bright requires about 2-3 hrs in a recharger about every other day.

The concept of localized lighting parallels localized cooling. When up and about, cool by evaporation by soaking t-shirt and sun hat. This works even when it’s very humid. Use the evaporation method when when sitting and lying, via a rotary fan that’s portable enough to take to various parts of the house. Makes more sense than cooling all of the air of an entire room, or worse still, the entire house. Overall, this may use less energy, even if the refrigerator is working harder in a 95 degree kitchen than it would be in a 70 degree one.

Realize that extreme heat can kill, and admit I don’t know about everyone’s health situation. But as seems the case with our consumption of animal products, unthinking habit shapes our choices when it comes to lighting and cooling much more than necessity does. Not sure what you think, but to me destroying the planet is not our birthright.

ricospaz
    Participant

Wow, guess I’d better not mention my 2 A/C units running practically continuously all weekend. I did have them set at 75 though, I feel good about that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Friday after work I put AC’s in the three bedroom windows, made a pitcher of Margaritas, ThaMissus brought home Los Guachos. That night had no room for improvement.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I almost never run my AC. I like to open the house in the cool morning, let the heat out, then close it up for the day.

When I was in my second apartment, I could get the electric bill close to $1/day, but I don’t think I can do that with this house.

Twixlen
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Overall, this may use less energy, even if the refrigerator is working harder in a 95 degree kitchen than it would be in a 70 degree one.

Keep in mind that a fridge can be one of the biggest sources of power draw for a household. Especially if that fridge is more than 5-7 years old. Conceivably, if your fridge is old, and in a 90 degree room, it could be drawing the same amount of electricity from the grid as my 97% efficient heat pump/cooling system.

Also, for those of us that own our fridges, forcing it to work in such a fashion shortens it’s life considerably, and would then cause us to have to replace the fridge – at great cost. Then, it’s another item for the landfill.

Even trying to be efficient can have unintended consequences.

Cookie

Twixlen said:
    Even trying to be efficient can have unintended consequences.

Like keeping a bucket of urine in a 95 degree house?

Twixlen
    Participant

Cookie said:

Ah, snuggling into bed, wearing wet clothes and a headlamp, with the smell of fermenting pee wafting through a hot house.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Cookie said:

Kind of in Tom’s defense, we pretty much know what to expect when he starts a post so why bother hopping on and going to the trouble of mocking him? Let the guy live how he wants.

Cookie

lifeontwowheels said:
    Let the guy live how he wants.

I have to think there are laws regarding the disposal of human waste in Upper Arlington.

ricospaz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Kind of in Tom’s defense, we pretty much know what to expect when he starts a post so why bother hopping on and going to the trouble of mocking him? Let the guy live how he wants.

It just seems like something that should go on his own blog. It seems a bit smug.

groundrules
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    It just seems like something that should go on his own blog. It seems a bit smug.

blogs use electricity dude.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Then, it’s another item for the landfill.

They junk refrigerators for scrap like they do with cars.

I have an old fridge in the basement and I’ve almost got it cleared out so I can shut it down and just use it as a mouse-proof food locker.

myliftkk
    Participant

I for one, am running my uber-efficient central AC, whilst eating hot dogs left over from the Holiday weekend.

Or as I call it. Doing my small part to ensure the safety and security of the tapeworm lifecycle.

Save the Cestoda!

derm
    derm
    Participant

Tom, my family has a popup that we use for camping that when we take it off grid a bit, we run straight off a 12v deep cycle battery. Over the years I have done little modifications for energy efficiency that I use to keep my amp-hour draw down as well as it transitions very well for home use during power outages. It might have some use for you if you have an interest. LED’s use a fraction of the power as regular lights, even CFL’s. If you have any electrical background and a soldering gun you would be surprised at what is doable.

Head to Ebay and look at this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390306453952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2876wt_940

with this plugged in
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-1-LED-74-T5-Dashboard-Car-Mini-Wedge-Round-Bulbs-Super-White-12-volt-DC-New-/140762441924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c61868c4&vxp=mtr

You could put these in places in the house that you could run for weeks off a 12v battery before you needed to charge it. Get a solar charger and you are set.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Thanks Derm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION