Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

LeVeque Tower News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development LeVeque Tower News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Work is Under Way on a Mixed-Use Conversion for LeVeque Tower
    By: Walker

LeVeque Tower is the most iconic building in Downtown Columbus, and if you’ve been by it lately you’ve probably noticed scaffolding up around the bottom floors of the building. Building owners Tower 10, LLC have begun work on repairing some of the terracotta exterior as the first step in a major renovation to the building which calls for new apartment units, new ground floor retail and a boutique hotel.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/work-is-under-way-on-a-mixed-use-conversion-for-leveque-tower

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Walker said:
    LeVeque Tower has a parking garage. It’s even attached with a skywalk over Lynn Alley.

Wasn’t the Parking Garage once proposed to be knocked down and replaced with a 20 story Apartment Tower?

Buster Bluth
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Wasn’t the Parking Garage once proposed to be knocked down and replaced with a 20 story Apartment Tower?

I certainly hope not.

There are plenty of surface parking lots downtown that could more easily be built upon. There is no need to knock down a useful parking garage.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Buster Bluth said:
    I certainly hope not.

There are plenty of surface parking lots downtown that could more easily be built upon. There is no need to knock down a useful parking garage.

It was an old plan I think, but yea fill up lots. I would like to see more stuff around 3rd and Long..

News
    Participant

LeVeque Tower renovations in line for city incentives
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, July 6, 2012, 2:36pm EDT

It looks like the owner of the LeVeque Tower hopes to get another shot of public assistance in the renovation and redevelopment of the 85-year-old architectural icon.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/07/06/leveque-tower-renovations-in-line-for.html

columbusmike
    Participant

Historic rehabs such as this pump about $9 dollars into the local economy for every dollar spent, mostly due to the skilled labor required. These are terrific projects for Columbus that add to our cities charm.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Gee, when I saw the scaffolding, the first thought I had was that they were going to tear it down to make room for a new Walgreens.

rus
    rus
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Historic rehabs such as this pump about $9 dollars into the local economy for every dollar spent, mostly due to the skilled labor required.

[citation required]

News
    Participant

Project Update: LeVeque Tower
    Published on May 22, 2013 1:30 pm
    By: Brent Warren

Repairing the terra cota “skin” of the iconic LeVeque Tower downtown is not an easy job – or a quick one. Workers are about to begin their second season of work on the exterior of the building, having completed about five floors last year. It could be five years before all 47 stories are completed, according to Bob Loversidge of Schooley Caldwell, the architect overseeing the project.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-leveque-tower-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s some photos of the updates to go with the renderings from the story last week. ;)

PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-may-2013-part-2

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo
    Participant

The full documentary “The Citadel: Birth of the LeVeque Tower” is on Vimeo but I’m unable to link it here. It was a bit long but interesting for local history junkies. I especially liked seeing photos of the building under construction.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

LeVeque Lobby Renovations Near Completion, New Retail Planned
    Published on November 5, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

When we checked in with the LeVeque Tower renovation last spring, restoration work on the terra cotta exterior was entering its second season and and work had begun on an ambitious lobby renovation.

We stopped by again last week to get an update on the project and grab some photos, and we found that the exterior work is progressing to the upper floors of the building and the lobby renovation is on track to be completed by the end of the year.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/leveque-lobby-renovations-near-completion-new-retail-planned-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

LeVeque Tower Renovation

Downtown’s most iconic building is undergoing a significant renovation to add residential units, a 140-room boutique hotel and renovated office space, in addition to an upgraded exterior and entrance. The tower will feature 70 to 90 luxury condominiums available in phases after the hotel completion and 200,000 square feet of office space.

The hotel’s operator has yet to be announced while the deal is being finalized, but it will celebrate the rich history and architectural style of the LeVeque. Casto is in discussions with high-end restaurateurs to open a 5,000 to 7,000 square foot restaurant on the second floor. The developer estimates the office and hotel portions of the project will be complete in the first quarter of 2015.

There are a few updates and specifics on plans contained in the paragraph above which I hadn’t heard before. It’s from the ‘Downtown Columbus 3rd Quarter Economic Development Report,’ which can be found here, http://downtowncolumbus.com/docs/default-source/retail/economic-development-report-third-quarter-2013.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO