Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

LeVeque Tower News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development LeVeque Tower News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

LeVeque seeing new life as owners invest millions

Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter

Date: Friday, March 16, 2012, 6:00am EDT

The owners of the LeVeque Tower are looking to the building’s 85-year history to inspire a multimillion-dollar renovation that aims to put a hotel and apartments into the landmark skyscraper.

A new conceptual plan calls for several floors devoted to a boutique hotel with perhaps 120 guest rooms, as well as an unspecified number of apartments. At least half the tower would remain as office space.

An early phase of renovations under way includes eliminating one of the building’s Broad Street entrances, enhancing exterior arches and adding street-level windows. Plans also call for canopies over the entrances and a return of flags and lanterns like those that once marked the entrances.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/03/16/investors-see-renewed-life-for-leveque.html

futureman
    Participant

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Awesome!

mrpoppinzs

That would be a cool place for an apartment. I assume that they will make a deal with some parking garage.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    That would be a cool place for an apartment. I assume that they will make a deal with some parking garage.

LeVeque Tower has a parking garage. It’s even attached with a skywalk over Lynn Alley.

Pablo
    Participant

Years ago there was a plan for a condos to be constructed on top of the LeVeque garage – I believe the garage was constructed to structurally accommodate a tower.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Is there any 1st level retail in the parking garage? I think that would be EXCELLENT if the Leveque Developers could posibbly open that part of Long Street to more development and vibrancy (I know, big hopes).

Caleb

Anonymous
    Inactive

They put condos on at least some of the floors for the LeVeque Tower. They were HUGE condos though and an enormous amount of money. I remember looking at the photos of them and they were really nice, but had rather odd layouts. I wish I had the pics of them, but this was years ago…perhaps 4-5 years ago.

I hope they do something with LeVeque as it’s the focal point of the downtown in my opinion. Even my out of town family was asking “What’s that mini-empire state looking building used for?”. Quite frankly, I have no idea what it’s used for…all I know is that it’s there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My mistake, it’s a penthouse rental and then Katherine LeVeque has a suite up there as well. I’ve never been in there. Quite frankly, I wish it still had the observation deck on the top floor…about the closest you can get to an observation deck anymore in Columbus is the Thompson Library.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2008/04/27/LEVEQUE.ART_ART_04-27-08_H1_SHA09FM.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another kind of interesting related video:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    Is there any 1st level retail in the parking garage? I think that would be EXCELLENT if the Leveque Developers could posibbly open that part of Long Street to more development and vibrancy (I know, big hopes).

I agree on your thoughts on adding retail to the garage, but it’s at the corner of Gay & Front… not Long. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

-Nick- said:
    Quite frankly, I wish it still had the observation deck on the top floor…about the closest you can get to an observation deck anymore in Columbus is the Thompson Library.

Rhodes Tower has an observation deck:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=350.0

futureman
    Participant

A lift for LeVeque: Project to modernize office space, add lobby, fix crumbling exterior
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch Thursday March 29, 2012 6:37 AM

Standing on a narrow balcony near the top of LeVeque Tower, the wind whistling past the wings of the eight terra cotta eagles watching over Columbus, architect Robert Loversidge can almost hear the building beneath him breathing.

“A building is alive, it does have a life,” he said of the 555-foot, 6-inch tower, which was the fifth-tallest building in the world when it was completed in 1927. “And buildings like this evolve and grow and need to be renewed.”

It’s Loversidge’s job to renew and extend the life of the LeVeque as part of a two- to three-year renovation project that will repair the crumbling terra cotta exterior, which expands, contracts and cracks when water seeps in and freezes.

“Back then, they didn’t know a lot about the movement of big buildings and expansion joints,” Loversidge said, adding that all the motion “does bad things.”

The project will also create an entrance and lobby worthy of such a stately building, modernize all 46 floors of office space and apartments, and possibly add a boutique hotel.

The work will cost between $20 million and $22 million.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/03/29/a-lift-for-leveque.html

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Walker said:
    I agree on your thoughts on adding retail to the garage, but it’s at the corner of Gay & Front… not Long. ;)

That’s what I meant lol

futureman
    Participant

These building inspectors climb LeVeque’s exterior
    Exterior building inspectors tackle their task from unique perspective
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch Friday April 6, 2012 5:17 AM

Whenever she tells people that she makes a living climbing up and down buildings, doing inspections, Kelly Streeter gets one of three responses.

“Some people ask if I’m scared, others say there’s no way they would ever do that, and some people say it sounds like the best job ever,” she said of her career as an industrial rope-access technician.

Since Monday, Streeter and a small, well-trained team of safety-conscious climbers from Vertical Access have been Spider-manning their way up and down the 555-foot-6-inch-tall LeVeque Tower.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/04/06/these-building-inspectors-climb-leveques-exterior.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO