Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

The problem is that retailers aren’t figuring in the externals costs of plastic bags – and it seems like a lot of people here would prefer to ignore than there ever are external costs.

“external costs” = “numbers I made up to force people to do what I want”.

Which you complain about about while ignoring the “external costs” Core brings up.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The problem is that retailers aren’t figuring in the externals costs of plastic bags – and it seems like a lot of people here would prefer to ignore than there ever are external costs.

Please feel free to iterate the external costs. The reality is, it all depends on what happens to that plastic bag after its used…meaning education and better recycling options are probably a better solution than a ban and expecting people who already ride a bus to use food stamps to feed their family to buy a logo’d canvas bag.

But yeah, its not financially onerous.

joev
    Participant

As a bus rider, I guarantee you than a $1 reusable bag holds up far better than a plastic bag on a commute. It’s also exponentially more comfortable to carry.

In the meantime, I won’t expect the complaining foot-draggers to stop complaining when we do enact a plastic bag ban. It’s going to happen.

rus
    rus
    Participant

As a bus rider, I guarantee you than a $1 reusable bag holds up far better than a plastic bag on a commute. It’s also exponentially more comfortable to carry.

In the meantime, I won’t expect the complaining foot-draggers to stop complaining when we do enact a plastic bag ban. It’s going to happen.

Do you really expect to convince people to change their behavior through arrogant scolding? Or do you just expect to use force to achieve your aims?

joev
    Participant

Please demonstrate how ending plastic bags harms your freedom. #FakeLibertarianProblems.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Everyone knows plastic will never ever deteriorate right? So unless incinerated or recycled, those plastic bags will always be here until the end of time.

Last I heard the world consumes 1 million plastic bags per minute.

That’s 525,949,000,000 per year.

It’s just a little on the ridiculous side of things. Make them at a minimum biodegradable. If we can’t manage that, then get rid of the damn things. I think we’ve advanced that much since World War II.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Please demonstrate how ending plastic bags harms your freedom. #FakeLibertarianProblems.

Oh, snarky hashtags? #howoriginal

Was commenting more on your writing style. Really, if Columbus were to ban plastic bags I’ll join Pez in shopping more in the suburbs. Not like I’m not out there anyway and really it’s not that big of a change.

Please continue, though. The more you talk the more company I’ll have outside of Columbus.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Everyone knows plastic will never ever deteriorate right? So unless incinerated or recycled, those plastic bags will always be here until the end of time.

So why not a more active push for recycling instead of a ban?

kit444
    Participant

The reality is, it all depends on what happens to that plastic bag after its used…meaning education and better recycling options are probably a better solution than a ban

+1

How does the bag compare to what it contains? What’s the biodegradability of the cans, jars, bags (bags inside bags, oh my) of the groceries themselves? I think encouraging recycling is a better option than an outright ban.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joev wrote:</div>

Really, if Columbus were to ban plastic bags I’ll join Pez in shopping more in the suburbs.

Feel free to hit me up, I’ll give you a personal tour of the Dublin Kroger Marketplace. If by chance Dublin jumps on the bandwagon, I’m also familiar with the Powell Kroger, although they don’t have price check scanners there and they don’t sell fresh sliced proscuitto in their deli.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I guess I don’t get the mindset that plastic bags are worth going out of your way for. Really, they’re that important? How much could your dog possibly shit that free plastic bags are the end all be all of freedom? I get the convenience factor, I’m guilty of it myself, I’ve got a closet full of these things, but I understand that they’re awful for the environment and it seems like a pretty easy sacrifice to make.

But that’s just my opinion. Maybe you make a living knitting the things into artisanal umbrellas or something.

DC
    DC
    Participant

I guess I don’t get the mindset that plastic bags are worth going out of your way for. Really, they’re that important? How much could your dog possibly shit that free plastic bags are the end all be all of freedom? I get the convenience factor, I’m guilty of it myself, I’ve got a closet full of these things, but I understand that they’re awful for the environment and it seems like a pretty easy sacrifice to make.

But that’s just my opinion. Maybe you make a living knitting the things into artisanal umbrellas or something.

You just nailed it with good old-fashioned common sense and a little humor there at the end!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There is a woman at the Moonlight Market who turns them into handbags:

https://www.facebook.com/3RBags

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m helping to organize a river cleanup around the confluence on April 20, let’s see what plastics we find.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m helping to organize a river cleanup around the confluence on April 20, let’s see what plastics we find.

Again though, you’re conflating littering and plastic bags. No one is suggesting we should be littering and its already “banned”.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE