Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

It’s not a problem around here.

So, there is no problem.

Lets all trivialize it a little more.

/slowclap

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    …so wait, you’re advocating stopping the recycling of a plastic bag I use from the grocery store to pick up after my dog and buying a <em class=”d4pbbc-italic”>separate supply of plastic bags instead?

I’m not sure you’ve thought this through.

They make biodegradable dog waste bags. $5.99 at petco. Yes you would have to buy it. Plastic bags (petroleum based) are bad for the environment. We use too many. Your 20 comments about dog poop is annoying, and most people purchase pooper scoopers (reusable) which will help you solve your obsession with this particular dilemma.

Why would I go to Petco and buy something that Kroger will give me for free? Plus unlike the Chinese cloth bags, the plastic ones are unlikely to have cadmium, beryllium, lead and arsenic in them. But hey if we’re on the banning things due to improper disposal, then Columbus should ban cigarette and condom sales, I see more used ones of those left in places than I care to. Nothing like taking your kids to the park and having to kick much over someone’s rubber so the kids don’t see it.

DC
    DC
    Participant

1) The council is going to see that all the “cool” cities are banning the bags now.

2)We try to use cloth bags as much as possible.

1) Are Rwanda and Bangladesh “Cool” places too, since they have banned plastic bags?

2) Good going, this is the responsible thing to do!

DC
    DC
    Participant

These bags are an environmental hazard, ranging in severity from minor (eyesores, litter) to medium (eaten by turtles and marine life) to major (blocking drainage/sewer systems, rivers, and canals) all over the world. They are easily carried by water or wind, and are well beyond the control of people who mean well when they (re)use them.

This is not just about efficiency.

Here’s one from Manila, Philippines- another place that has banned stores from giving them out.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

pez
    Participant

These bags are an environmental hazard, ranging in severity from minor (eyesores, litter) to medium (eaten by turtles and marine life) to major (blocking drainage/sewer systems, rivers, and canals) all over the world. They are easily carried by water or wind, and are well beyond the control of people who mean well when they (re)use them.

This is not just about efficiency.

Here’s one from Manila, Philippines- another place that has banned stores from giving them out.

All the pictures you’ve posted appear to be general litter, not plastic grocery bags. Maybe it would make more sense to encourage stores to use plastic bags thats are bio- or photodegradable. But if city council chioses to ban plastic bags, then it must be a complete ban with no exceptions for store type or size.

At the end of the day, I really don’t care as I do almost all of my shopping in the suburbs. If I’m at work and need to buy several things, I’ll just wait until I get home rather than buying them close to the office.

DC
    DC
    Participant

1) All the pictures you’ve posted appear to be general litter, not plastic grocery bags.

2)Maybe it would make more sense to encourage stores to use plastic bags thats are bio- or photodegradable.

1) I only posted 1 picture.

2) You are spot-on. And in the process, take awareness to drastically reduce the number of these plastic ones that we produce/distribute/litter/choke/clog.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Ban me off.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Regardless of what anyone wants, the misuse and environmental damage being done by plastics is going to have to be dealt with one way or another.

As a nation, I’m still amazed that it isn’t mandatory to recycle.

bjones7
    Participant

You’d be surprised but as long as paper bags have paper handles, people really don’t look back to plastic bags. I didn’t when I lived in San Francisco for 2 years. Granted, using reusable bags would be great but NOT everyone’s gonna do this. The majority of people in San Francisco did not use reusable bags. Nope, brown bags with paper handles super glued by the manufacturer, worked great! I traveled up to 2 miles carrying groceries home with out them the paper handles breaking.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Why would I go to Petco and buy something that Kroger will give me for free?

Truth.

joev
    Participant

Retailers should pay a per-bag usage fee, which they can pass on to customers who choose to use bags – and the proceeds should go toward mitigating the problems plastic bags cause. It’s economically stupid for retailers to be giving plastic bags away for free.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Retailers should pay a per-bag usage fee, which they can pass on to customers who choose to use bags

Yes, because this is nothing like a poor tax.

joev
    Participant

It’s not like the alternatives to plastic bags are financially onerous.

rus
    rus
    Participant

It’s economically stupid for retailers to be giving plastic bags away for free.

Because operating costs aren’t already figured in to prices.

It’s “free” as in “free with purchase”, after all.

joev
    Participant

The problem is that retailers aren’t figuring in the externals costs of plastic bags – and it seems like a lot of people here would prefer to ignore than there ever are external costs.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE