Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We have a legal immigration system. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t enforce borders and prevent illegals from coming in. No one anywhere is for banning immigration.

We can have a legal non-plastic grocery bagging system too. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t enforce policies that prevent plastic bags from trashing up our city. No one anywhere is for banning grocery bags entirely.

DC
    DC
    Participant

The idea apparently is I should buy some other grocery bags, remember to carry them around, then go buy some other doggie bags.

Not the end of the world, but more of a hassle. More progressive busybodies clamoring to make life just that much more difficult.

Whose life? Yours? And do you mean to tell us that these particular plastic grocery bags are the only plastic bags that you come across throughout a week’s or month’s worth of consumerism?

You either a) don’t shop much at all or b) don’t pay attention to all of the plastic you consume.

What is stopping you from using other types of plastic bags for your doggies?

What do you think humans have done for thousands of years to transport materials? Plastic grocery bags are a relatively new phenomenon.

Personally, I bring boxes to the grocery store (more sturdy and practical). But then again, I have a car (and I am pretty sure most Columbus-ites do too).

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Just sitting back and watching the lot of you lapsing into complete absurdity

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ColumbusTime wrote:</div>
    You mean aren’t a necessary part of your every day life.

Please, by all means, tell us how plastic bags are necessary to your everyday life.

I don’t like to carry my groceries home in lead and cadmium filled bags made in China. I also typically stop at the grocery store at the end of my daily run, the last thing I want to do is carry bags while I’m running. I guess I could go home and drive to the store for the sole purpose of not needing bags.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Whose life? Yours?

Odd question. Whom else would I discuss?

What is stopping you from using other types of plastic bags for your doggies?

These come with the groceries I buy. Guess you’re saying I should stop recycling those and buy some other bags instead. Seems wasteful. Why buy other bags when those are readily available?

What do you think humans have done for thousands of years to transport materials? Plastic grocery bags are a relatively new phenomenon.

Personally, I bring boxes to the grocery store (more sturdy and practical). But then again, I have a car (and I am pretty sure most Columbus-ites do too).

WHAT?! You mean you’re using a CAR?! WHAT DO YOU THINK HUMANS DID FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?!?!! Strap those groceries to your ox you heathen!

Schoolboy
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Schoolboy wrote:</div>
    Ummmmm… you think you won’t still be able to buy some generic grocery style bags for your “necessary” uses????

Right now I recycle mine as dog poop bags. The idea apparently is I should buy some other grocery bags, remember to carry them around, then go buy some other doggie bags.

Not the end of the world, but more of a hassle. More progressive busybodies clamoring to make life just that much more difficult.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel your pain. We have a baby in the house and save every plastic bag for the wrapping of diapers so they don’t stink up the house after disposal. Not to mention the countless other things we use them for. We’ll still be buying some form of grocery bags for household use I’m sure.

Guess my point is I’m more than willing to give this convenience up for the greater good.

Again, I think recycling across the nation should be mandatory. I’m much more concerned in curbing/fixing of the depletion of resources and waste buildup at this given time, than I am… say alternative energy sources.

bob.os
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Schoolboy wrote:</div><br>
    Ummmmm… you think you won’t still be able to buy some generic grocery style bags for your “necessary” uses????

Right now I recycle mine as dog poop bags. The idea apparently is I should buy some other grocery bags, remember to carry them around, then go buy some other doggie bags.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel your pain. We have a baby in the house and save every plastic bag for the wrapping of diapers so they don’t stink up the house after disposal. Not to mention the countless other things we use them for. We’ll still be buying some form of grocery bags for household use I’m sure.

Guess my point is I’m more than willing to give this convenience up for the greater good.

Again, I think recycling across the nation should be mandatory. I’m much more concerned in curbing/fixing of the depletion of resources and waste buildup at this given time, than I am… say alternative energy sources.

You are concerned about plastic grocery bags and yet use disposable diapers?

rus
    rus
    Participant

So you’d still be buying plastic bags for household use.

Same amount consumed, but paying more for it.

That’s a greater good?

Schoolboy
    Participant

Wait? How many diapers are found littered along roads, waterways, in the trees, etc etc etc…. I find a plastic bag in my yard on nearly a daily basis. Have yet to find a discarded diaper. Occasionally see one in a parking lot or somewhere random sure, but there’s hardly a comparison.

Right now I will bet anyone on this board a thousand dollars I can find at least 20-30 on my property right now when I get home.

Seriously. Give me some sort of real reason on why free plastic bags with your groceries is a vital part of human life.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Wait? How many diapers are found littered along roads, waterways, in the trees, etc etc etc…. I find a plastic bag in my yard on nearly a daily basis. Have yet to find a discarded diaper. Occasionally see one in a parking lot or somewhere random sure, but there’s hardly a comparison.

Right now I will bet anyone on this board a thousand dollars I can find at least 20-30 on my property right now when I get home.

Seriously. Give me some sort of real reason on why free plastic bags with your groceries is a vital part of human life.

So your real bitch is with litter, which apparently threatens your very existence since we’re talking “vital parts of human life” here.

I’ve never found a plastic bag in my yard, but the occasional bits of paper receipts, the odd can or such. Guess I should be glad no life threatening plastic bags were about.

If consumption of plastic bags doesn’t decline, as in the example above, then how does that reduce litter? You’d just be shifting the source around.

Jesse Bethea
    Jesse Bethea
    Participant

Things have changed since last I visited this thread.

Schoolboy
    Participant

So your real bitch is with litter, which apparently threatens your very existence since we’re talking “vital parts of human life” here.

I’ve never found a plastic bag in my yard, but the occasional bits of paper receipts, the odd can or such.

Maybe I missed something, but Isn’t that the real reason they are being banned across the country? Combined with the fact that they will never biodegrade of course. Are plastic bags life threatening to humanity? Eventually yes.

If plastic bags aren’t blowing into your yard, then I’m not sure how. Unless you have the most barren landscaping possible I’m sorry but I simply do not believe this.

That’s my gauge though. I’ve seen the research on this, and I see the proof in my own back yard. 100% fine with the ban.

rus
    rus
    Participant

If plastic bags aren’t blowing into your yard, then I’m not sure how. Unless you have the most barren landscaping possible I’m sorry but I simply do not believe this.

You can believe what you like; it’s never been a problem for me.

As to life threatening… yeah, no. Annoyed with litter in your yard sure, but minor annoyances aren’t threatening to all of humanity. Hyperbolic nonsense is hyperbolic.

Further if people will continue to use plastic bags even if they don’t get some with their groceries, as you have suggested you would, then this measure is ineffective for it’s stated purpose.

Where’s that greater good, again?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think they have that on sale at Patagonia for $79.00

pez
    Participant

You can believe what you like; it’s never been a problem for me.

As to life threatening… yeah, no. Annoyed with litter in your yard sure, but minor annoyances aren’t threatening to all of humanity. Hyperbolic nonsense is hyperbolic.

Further if people will continue to use plastic bags even if they don’t get some with their groceries, as you have suggested you would, then this measure is ineffective for it’s stated purpose.

I can’t tell you the last time I had a plastic bag in the yard, now Busch Light pounder cans, that’s a different story. And no, they’re not mine. So as long as we are banning, let’s get rid of aluminum containers so I don’t have to pick them up on my way back from the mailbox.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: