Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    DC
    DC
    Participant

I find this to be a very interesting issue, for some reason. In fact, I decided to register on CU just to weigh in on the discussion!

First of all, nowhere in the United States is there a “Ban” on plastic bags. One can simply walk into any store (grocery, drugstore, department store, liquor store, carry-out) and buy boxes, or even cases of plastic bags.

What this is about is getting high-volume, larger retailers to reduce the number of these things that flood our environment. Do you really need to have a gallon of milk (with a handle) double bagged just to load it in and out of your car?

It’s a small step toward getting consumers to realize that you don’t need a new bag every single time that you do a life-long, repeated behavior, such as going to the store. Do you need a new pair of scissors for every haircut? Do you buy a new screwdriver every time you need to tighten a screw? I realize that light bulbs and batteries need to be replaced, but bags are reusable.

And to dog owners: you don’t need to rely on a side-effect of American style consumerism in order to find plastic for your dog poo. How much money do you spend on dog food, flea shots, or vet visits? Keeping a supply of plastic should be relatively cheap (given that you insist on using plastic).

This issue really gets down to the root of our consumer culture and society. Small changes to better our planet are an inconvenient drop in the bucket in the ocean of world problems.

Finally, I find it peculiar that people would defend this overuse of plastic bags as if it were one of their personal “points of view.”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

…so wait, you’re advocating stopping the recycling of a plastic bag I use from the grocery store to pick up after my dog and buying a separate supply of plastic bags instead?

I’m not sure you’ve thought this through.

DC
    DC
    Participant

All of the dog owners in the US are not able to recycle even a small fraction of the plastic grocery bags that end up in circulation in any given year (assuming all dog owners even use plastic grocery bags to clean up). I commend dog owners for picking up after their pets, and for reusing a product that would otherwise not be re used.

If we slowed to a trickle the number of bags being given out at the checkout, we will also realize that there are hundreds of other types of plastic bags all around us. They are the produce bag whose apples are eaten, the bag holding a newspaper, the plastic inside of shipping boxes, the plastic bags for tortilla chips and candies, the bag that held your pillow or sheets, the packages holding tee shirts and underwear in the store. You can still fill a whole pantry if you saved all of the types of plastic (bags) that you go though in a year- other than grocery bags. There is no way on earth that dog users could reuse this amount of plastic.

Nowadays, places even have produce/grocery bags made of corn or rice- ones that actually break down in nature. Though personally, I think we need to get out of the “single use” mindset in this great state and nation.

substance
    Participant

My favorite part of the news report is that it states that plastic bags take longer to decompose. Just a bit since they take 500-1000 years. So if Christopher Columbus shopped with plastic bags, they now might be smaller pieces of plastic.

Don’t be too worried about managing dog excrement. Pet ownership is an unsustainable practice that heavily bolsters the livestock industry. It will be be banned next.

heresthecasey
    Participant

If you don’t like plastic bags then don’t use them, cool.

Forcing your views on others is obnoxious, un-cool.

Be cool.

This.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Like it or not it shouldn’t be your right to take plastic bags every time you go to a store. It’s called being irresponsible and lazy.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Like it or not it shouldn’t be your right to take plastic bags every time you go to a store. It’s called being irresponsible and lazy.

False. It’s not your right to determine what’s “lazy and irresponsible” in peoples private lives, sport.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Oh snarf..I just can’t with you!

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stephen43215 wrote:</div>

False. It’s not your right to determine what’s “lazy and irresponsible” in peoples private lives, sport.

You. I like you.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

My favorite part of the news report is that it states that plastic bags take longer to decompose. Just a bit since they take 500-1000 years.

Except when they’re recycled, which they are extremely efficient for.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Weirdest thread ever, even for this place. The same places that give out plastic bags to take groceries home, take them back for FREE to recycle them. The ban in Columbus should be for lazy people I guess as they would be the only ones who don’t do this(variations for poop picker uppers, don’t want them bags back). I vote we ban lazy people. Who is with me.

I guess if we want to encourage a moderation the stores could adopt the Aldi’s model, the bags cost money. It does not seem to affect their bottom line.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I think the easiest way to solve this is to force retailers to charge customers something like 25 – 50 cents a bag for plastic bags. Then if you really want one then you can pay for it, but it will start to get people in the habit of bringing in their own bags without an outright ban. The problem is that these bags have pretty large negative environmental externalities that the end user doesn’t see. Now if you were forced to see that cost by having to buy the bags I bet a lot of people would switch to something more sustainable. Even I don’t always remember to bring in my reusable bags, but if I had to pay 50 cents a piece for the ones inside the store I bet I’d remember a lot more often.

Also, the “If you don’t like plastic bags then don’t use them, cool. Forcing your views on others is obnoxious, un-cool. Be cool.” argument doesn’t hold up. Under that logic we’d still have leaded gasoline, cars without seat belts, and DDT.

substance
    Participant

Weirdest thread ever, even for this place. The same places that give out plastic bags to take groceries home, take them back for FREE to recycle them. The ban in Columbus should be for lazy people I guess as they would be the only ones who don’t do this(variations for poop picker uppers, don’t want them bags back). I vote we ban lazy people. Who is with me.

I guess if we want to encourage a moderation the stores could adopt the Aldi’s model, the bags cost money. It does not seem to affect their bottom line.

The bags have a cost. We are all paying for all their affect.

Does anyone have any evidence that the used plastic bags that being collected at grocery stores are ever recycled ?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I miss JimL2.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE