Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m just not a big fan of banning things to make them go away.

Perhaps we should impliment some sort of fines for people who litter.

Brewmaster

As I see it, it’s a problem with capitalism. The beauty of markets is that they always find the cheapest, most efficienct widgit. That can be a problem at times if that widgit has harmful side effects. Grocery stores aren’t going to stop using plastic on thier own in favor of a biodegradable alternative because: 1) customers don’t care enough to demand it, and 2) plastic is cheaper and they need to compete.

That leaves three choices (i think): 1) do nothing, 2) put a surcharge on plastic bags so there’s a level playing field, and 3) outright ban plastic bags. I suppose there’s also a 4th, which is to educate customers, but I think this is such a minor issue to most people that they would just brush it off as left-wing enviro nonsense and a waste of taxpayer money.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d be more in favor of 2, and using the money to pay for cleanup programs.

An outright ban on something as silly as plastic bags just because SOME people might throw them on the ground just sound… uh… silly.

Anyone can throw anything on the ground. And we can’t ban everything, can we? I’m sure if paper bags were more commonly found, we’d see more of them as litter. Sure, they’re more quick to biodegrade, but trash is unsightly, no matter what kind of trash it is.

Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant

Walker wrote I’d be more in favor of 2, and using the money to pay for cleanup programs.

In NY State they have a .10 charge on each pop can. It’s an incentive to recycle your cans & bring them back. I don’t know why more states don’t do this. Even if people were lazy and threw a can out the window, there were always plenty of people around ready to grab that can to get the .10. When I was a kid we always hunted for cans to have extra money for candy.

The same could go for plastic bags & other items like that…

Not that NY State doesn’t have litter, but at least it’s a step in the right direction.

Brewmaster

I agree with both of you…a surcharge it is! Time to start writing the mayor’s office.

[email protected]

And…

Susan E. Ashbrook,

Environmental Steward

[email protected]

Andia Sangale,

Environmental Policy Advisor

[email protected]

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I think it is because some states do not enforce recycling. (?) I know Hawaii has that on every drink container, but they are huge on recycling and all sorts of environmental programs. You get a little of it back when you take it to be recycled. They are way ahead of California!

News
    Participant

Clintonville Wants To Bag Plastic Grocery Bags
    Posted: Oct 02, 2014 10:55 PM EDT
    By: Mike Bowersock

How you shop in Columbus could change dramatically. There is a move underway to ban plastic bags, meaning you would either have to bring your own bags with you when you go shopping, or the store would supply paper bags, probably for a fee. Some grocery outlets, like Lucky’s in Clintonville, are already using only paper or cloth bags.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/26693680/clintonville-wants-to-bag-plastic-bags

pez
    Participant

Oddly enough stores under 10,000 square feet, like Clintonville Community Market, which the sponsor Kris Keller appears to have a close relationship with, would be exempt.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Paper bags would be a good start but its still pretty bad for the environment. Don’t be lazy, bring your reusable bags with you..after a while it will just be part of your regular routine.

While I can’t apologize on behalf of Clintonville, as a Beechwold resident, I am sorry. Not everyone in this neighborhood is driven to impose his/her values on the world. Some residents do recognize differences in circumstances.

(Personally, I do like paper bags. I’m sorry to learn that they might be enviro-toxic too).

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Remember this ban when you step in my dog’s poop…

rus
    rus
    Participant

Oddly enough stores under 10,000 square feet, like Clintonville Community Market, which the sponsor Kris Keller appears to have a close relationship with, would be exempt.

How interesting.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Remember this ban when you step in my dog’s poop…

Dog crap in a paper bag can be lit on fire and put on someone’s porch. Try that with plastic!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

If you don’t like plastic bags then don’t use them, cool.

Forcing your views on others is obnoxious, un-cool.

Be cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE