Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plastic Bag Bans in Columbus

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One quirk of plastic bags is, you can properly dispose of them in a container, and the wind can blow them out.

DC
    DC
    Participant

One quirk of plastic bags is, you can properly dispose of them in a container, and the wind can blow them out.

They are easily blown from landfills and garbage trucks, and are carried along in storm water and streams.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

One way to solve the pet waste angle of this issue is to for city council to adopt another progressive position and to ban animal slavery (“pet ownership”). Once people are prohibited from enslaving dogs we will no longer have to worry about collecting canine feces.

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joev wrote:</div>

Really, if Columbus were to ban plastic bags I’ll join Pez in shopping more in the suburbs.

Feel free to hit me up, I’ll give you a personal tour of the Dublin Kroger Marketplace. If by chance Dublin jumps on the bandwagon, I’m also familiar with the Powell Kroger, although they don’t have price check scanners there and they don’t sell fresh sliced proscuitto in their deli.

Noted and thanks.

rus
    rus
    Participant

One way to solve the pet waste angle of this issue is to for city council to adopt another progressive position and to ban animal slavery (“pet ownership”). Once people are prohibited from enslaving dogs we will no longer have to worry about collecting canine feces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Poe’s law, named after its author Nathan Poe,[1] is a literary adage which stipulates that without a clear indicator of an author’s intended sarcasm it becomes impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.[2]

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Again though, you’re conflating littering and plastic bags. No one is suggesting we should be littering and its already “banned”.

People were free to litter until there was an effective ban as well as PSAs “encouraging” people that it’s really, really dumb. AND, people still do it!

For me, it is not a cognitive leap of faith to draw parallels between littering and the introduction of plastic into the environment, by man. Obviously, there is no single magic bullet… Obviously, everyone needs to bear some of the responsibility. That includes the industrialist, the profiteers and the consumers. Obviously, there are not many people walking around with plastic and intentionally throwing it on the ground proclaiming “IN YOUR FACE ENVIRONMENT!”

I shouldn’t be shocked, but it never fails to amaze me.

Really circuitous, pedantic, chicken or egg arguments, desperately trying to justify how “our” freedoms are being trampled on. And then, finally, the “if I can’t get my way I’ll just leave” argument. Because the freedom you want is the freedom to consume and exploit and freedom from the burden of conscience or consequence.

All I can really say to that is, hurry up. Seriously, GTFO. Just be sure to take your freedom garbage with you. Read: store it in your own ground and not in ours.

The problem as I understand it, with plastic bags, is that they can not simply be transformed into more plastic bags. They are turned into other things. Outdoor flooring, or park benches. This practice is not recycling. This practice is referred to as down-cycling. It breaks the circle, so to speak.

As opposed to other materials such as glass, paper and steel. Which can be recycled endlessly. Sure, it is less convenient. And by less convenient, I really mean costs more money.

An out-right ban is the only real choice as far as I’m concerned. There is no debate. To dress this issue up any other way is an exercise of extreme childishness.

To me.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I don’t really have a dog in the fight, but I came across this today on Gizmodo.

http://gizmodo.com/why-the-plastic-recycling-market-just-crashed-1694804237

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

tabletop plastic recycling into oil

News
    Participant

Should Cities Ban Single-Use Plastic Bags?
    Posted June 30, 2015

As Montreal debates whether or not it should ban plastic bags, it’s an opportunity for me to express my opinion on the subject, yet again. Toronto began charging a 5¢ fee for all plastic bags in mid-2009. A few years later that ever-forward-thinking mayor, Rob Ford, decided to eliminate the bag charge.

READ MORE: http://www.sustainablecitiescollective.com/cathy-rust/1085781/should-cities-ban-single-use-plastic-bags

News
    Participant

Instead of banning plastic bags, Columbus will test a recycling program – for now
    Sep 21, 2015, 12:39pm EDT Updated Sep 21, 2015, 2:59pm EDT
    Tom Knox – Reporter – Columbus Business First

Columbus is set to launch a plastic bag recycling program instead of levying a tax or banning the staple of grocery stores as a step to improve the environment.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/09/21/instead-of-banning-plastic-bags-columbus-will-test.html

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE