Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 302 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

I don’t think for a second Ohio would be at the forefront on this issue. I think we will see it happen, but it won’t be soon.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

What is the purpose of legalizing possession in Ohio when it is just a fine to begin with? In addition to potheads having better things to do (like watch reruns of Workaholics), the ones that have emerged from their THC induced stupor are probably not interested in seeing the cost of their product increase thanks to taxes and collusion.

I have no basis for believing those that cultivate would be willing to lower prices thanks to a lowering of risk. Especially with such a captive market.

As for myself, being an epileptic it would be nice to replace out my Kepra for a high CBD tincture without the possibility of blowing up my house. However, rationality has never been a hallmark of the U.S. drug policy to begin with.

GeeDee
    Participant

What is the purpose of legalizing possession in Ohio when it is just a fine to begin with?

While it is true Ohio is much better than many other states when it comes to marijuana penalties, people in Ohio can and do face more than “just a fine”.

Largely because of home rule, there are some cities and counties in Ohio where marijuana use or possession means any number of – a monetary fine, a license suspension, time in jail, and court costs and fees.

Keeping it illegal also means the continuation of intrusive stops and searches by police.

Simply failing urine tests remains a reason why so many on probation or parole end up in or back in jail or prison (while our state prisons remain dangerously overcrowded).

From a financial perspective, keeping it illegal does nothing to help the broader economy. I think many current users would gladly buy marijuana legally even if it meant paying taxes.

And, finally, there’s the libertarian argument – it’s none of the government’s business if people choose to use marijuana so even “just a fine” is unnecessary and unwarranted.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

GViewProgrammer said:
    What is the purpose of legalizing possession in Ohio when it is just a fine to begin with? In addition to potheads having better things to do (like watch reruns of Workaholics), the ones that have emerged from their THC induced stupor are probably not interested in seeing the cost of their product increase thanks to taxes and collusion.

I have no basis for believing those that cultivate would be willing to lower prices thanks to a lowering of risk. Especially with such a captive market.

As for myself, being an epileptic it would be nice to replace out my Kepra for a high CBD tincture without the possibility of blowing up my house. However, rationality has never been a hallmark of the U.S. drug policy to begin with.

Trivial stereotypes aside, the criminal offense is more often with the paraphernalia not the flower.

Also legalization won’t eliminate the black market and prices on weight in Ohio are incredibly low thanks to all the production from MI – I only see them getting lower.

myliftkk
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Trivial stereotypes aside, the criminal offense is more often with the paraphernalia not the flower.

Also legalization won’t eliminate the black market and prices on weight in Ohio are incredibly low thanks to all the production from MI – I only see them getting lower.

Exactly what part of the black market is going to be left after legalisation?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The growers who don’t want to become part of a taxed system?

myliftkk
    Participant

And what customers will they have?

When faced with the choice between a legitimatized/marketed/visible retail option, and some libertarian dealer, the vast majority of the customer base is going to choose the former. Just like they do for virtually everything else in their lives. Smart growers will go legit because the rewards are greater and more stable, leaving only anti-tax and unstable growers left in the side market.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

Homebrewing beer is completely legal for personal consumption so long as you stay under an annual volume limit…100 gallons I believe.

Is it the general consensus that legalization would result in similar such conditions with marijuana? If so, there would be virtually no need for a “black market”. Either you would purchasing commercially produced and regulated product, or you would likely be growing your own at home…right?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think it’s wrong to label those anti tax as unstable. I always like to support small business with cash payments.

There’s a cash price at my auto mechanic. I pay cash at the barber. I tip in cash etc.

SSBucks
    Participant

Snarf said:

I think it’s a bit naive to think that it wouldn’t eliminate the black market. Much in the same way the alcohol black market ceased to exist after prohibition was repealed, people will pay a little extra to be able to go to a drug store as opposed to a drug dealer.

myliftkk
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I think it’s wrong to label those anti tax as unstable. I always like to support small business with cash payments.

There’s a cash price at my auto mechanic. I pay cash at the barber. I tip in cash etc.

Your mechanic/barber aren’t running a black market. They’re just skirting taxes the old fashioned way, by not booking cash income. You actually have no idea whether you’re skirting any taxes via cash tips. More than a few restuarants book their cash tips as income, so you’d actually have little idea on that score unless you asked each establishment.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

SSBucks said:
    I think it’s a bit naive to think that it wouldn’t eliminate the black market. Much in the same way the alcohol black market ceased to exist after prohibition was repealed, people will pay a little extra to be able to go to a drug store as opposed to a drug dealer.

Presuming legality, if you’re purchasing from a unlicensed perfectionist grower they are a “drug dealer” but buying from CVS is totally legit and fine?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Presuming legality, if you’re purchasing from a unlicensed perfectionist grower they are a “drug dealer” but buying from CVS is totally legit and fine?

In the same way that buying moonshine from a guy who hasn’t paid for a license from the BATF is illegal as opposed to buying from a liquor store, yes.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’ll stick with the shine.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

Keeping it illegal also means the continuation of intrusive stops and searches by police.

Don’t hold your breath for this to actually stop happening legal or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 302 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: