Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 302 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

There are more important issues to fix than legalizing a hobby.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    There are more important issues to fix than legalizing a hobby.

Your Mom is a hobby?

/had to be done
    //moral imperative

Dust

More important issues? This could help with medical, farming, deficit , non violent prisoners, and decreases a war on drugs that has been failing forever. Prohibition made alot of money for organized crime. Now alcohol taxes are collected however limited it’s medical uses maybe.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Dust said:
    More important issues? This could help with medical, farming, deficit , non violent prisoners, and decreases a war on drugs that has been failing forever. Prohibition made alot of money for organized crime. Now alcohol taxes are collected however limited it’s medical uses maybe.

As someone who doesn’t use it and wouldn’t use it even if it were legal, +1.

News
    Participant

Ohio Ballot Board Certifies Cannabis Rights As Single Ballot Issue
    Thursday May 23, 2013 4:33 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio elections officials have decided that the cannabis rights amendment will be a single issue if it’s placed on the Ohio ballot.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/23/ohio-cannabis-rights-amendment-single-issue.html

bjones7
    Participant

385,253 signatures in 44 of 88 counties BEFORE July 6 Good luck! I wonder if you can sign it online?

News
    Participant

Democrat Proposes Medical Marijuana Bill
    May 30, 2013
    by Jo Ingles
    News Reporter at Ohio Public Radio and Television

Some Ohioans are trying to gather enough signatures to put an issue on the statewide ballot, probably next fall, that would allow the use of medical marijuana in Ohio.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/05/30/democrat-proposes-medical-marijuana-bill/

News
    Participant

Doctors Appear In Ohio To Fight Medical Marijuana Campaign
    Wednesday July 31, 2013 4:50 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Supporters of legalizing medical marijuana in Ohio are currently circulating petitions to put the issue on the ballot. A group of medical professionals met in Columbus on Wednesday to speak out against those efforts.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/31/columbus-doctors-speak-out-against-medical-marijuana.html

groundrules
    Participant

I love the ‘but pot is dangerous and addictive and can be abused and can ruin lives’ argument. Hey Doc, you ever heard of Oxy?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Yep I’ve heard some pretty ridiculous stuff too, like pot is more addictive than herioin. Really? Just lost credibilty with me right there.

misskitty
    Participant

groundrules said:
    I love the ‘but pot is dangerous and addictive and can be abused and can ruin lives’ argument. Hey Doc, you ever heard of Oxy?

I know right …
    additionally, Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Amphetamines (Adderall), Tylox, Oxycontin, Percodan, Percocet, Fentanyl , Morphine, Codeine, Methadone, Ativan, Halcion, Librium, Valium, Xanax, Amytal, Nembutal, Seconal, Phenobarbital, and so many more.

But I see the marijuana issue as more of a profit/kickback blocker for the Drug companies and Doctors more than any of reason they can try to give.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Really interesting, thoughtful editorial by Dr. Sanjay Gupta:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

additionally, Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Amphetamines (Adderall), Tylox, Oxycontin, Percodan, Percocet, Fentanyl , Morphine, Codeine, Methadone, Ativan, Halcion, Librium, Valium, Xanax, Amytal, Nembutal, Seconal, Phenobarbital, and so many more.

Gonna be a long afternoon.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Not a perfect fit for this thread, but this is pretty important stuff:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-holder-drug-sentencing-20130811,0,1978815.story

Mandatory minimums have been one of the worst aspects of the war on drugs, this is fantastic news.

roy
    Participant

I’m concerned about Ohio’s ballot issue, it’s never mentioned as a solid piece of legislation that has any chance of passage. The exchange below between The Fix and Drug Policy Alliance director Ethan Nadelmann is representative of where Ohio stands:

Where in the US do you think we’ll next see marijuana legalized?

“I’m wondering whether Oregon has a shot to move forward in 2014; there the legislature can put an initiative on the ballot, so I think there’s a chance. There’s some possibility around Alaska in 2014. I’m curious about Washington, DC, and whether the city council, where views have really evolved, might be willing to do something. California, we’re looking at 2016. And states like Arizona or Missouri might pop through.”

http://www.thefix.com/content/ethan-nadelmann-drug-policy91855

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 302 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE