Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 302 total)
  • Author
    ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Issue 2 would disagree…and it will disagree with any imaginary, anti-greed, grass roots legalization initiative that the people who voted down issue 3 believe is in the future.

Only with a dishonest reading of Issue 2.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I’m getting all sorts of Facebook shares about a group called “Legalize Ohio 2016” Does anyone know who they are or who is backing them? Their ballot amendment is a fairly light-weight legalization thing that seems to legalize small amounts for people over 21 with all kinds of limitations. Not ideal, but still better than nothing.

Are these people related in any way to Responsible Ohio ?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    Issue 2 would disagree…and it will disagree with any imaginary, anti-greed, grass roots legalization initiative that the people who voted down issue 3 believe is in the future.

Only with a dishonest reading of Issue 2.

Absolutely not. Issue 2 puts a layer in that applies to all proposed initiatives. Part of that wording is:

“confer a commercial interest, commercial right, or commercial license to any person, nonpublic entity, or group of persons or nonpublic entities, or any combination thereof, however organized, that is not then available to other similarly situated persons or nonpublic entities.”

Every potential legalization initiative will, by definition, have to define specific groups of people or entities who will qualify for licenses, distribution opportunities, etc.

For example, here’s the text from an alternative bill proposed by Legalize Ohio: “No person, nor Corporation, shall sell Marijuana, Marijuana Products, Marijuana Leaves,Marijuana Seeds, Marijuana Tissue Cultures, Marijuana Seedlings, Marijuana Plants, any natural product or byproduct of cultivating and harvesting Marijuana Plants, nor any natural byproduct of Manufacturing Marijuana Products, unless that person, or Corporation, has first procured appropriate Commercial Marijuana Entity licenses from the Division of Marijuana Control. ”

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Here’s my Amendement:

1. Ohio shall establish no laws regulating the growth or possession of any plant of the genus Cannabis nor the derivatives therof.

2. Ohio shall establish no laws regulating the consumption of any plant of the genus Cannabis by adults aged 19 years or older, except where such consumption may endanger the lives of third-parties. The legislature may enact reasonable laws to protect third parties from the effects of individuals under the effects of any plant of the genus Cannabis or derivatives therof.

3. Ohio may establish reasonable laws that regulate the sale and distribution of plants of the genus Cannabis and derivatives thereof and that limit sales to adults aged 19 and over.

4. Ohio may establish reasonable rates of taxation on any plants of the genus Cannabis and the revenues from said taxes may be used for the following purposes only: education, health care, drug rehabilitation, job training, public transportation, and the re-integration into society of citizens with non-violent criminal records.

5. Ohio may establish reasonable laws and regulations concerning the safety of manufactured edible products containing any plants of the genus Cannibis or derivatives thereof that are made available for sale to the general public.

That’s it! What do you think?

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

I think your 20th birthday must be coming up. Otherwise, why 19? 18 is adult in the US, 21 is drinking age, 19 is…?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think your 20th birthday must be coming up. Otherwise, why 19? 18 is adult in the US, 21 is drinking age, 19 is…?

“College Age”. Still too many 18 yo. in HS. Didn’t the drinking age in Ohio used to be 19 for that very reason?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t know why I only realized this last night… but am I the only one who thinks that the “Buddie” mascot looks like Powdered Toast Man from the Ren & Stimpy Show?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

News
    Participant

Marijuana Backers Prepare for 2016 Legalization Efforts
    November 4, 2015 10:34 am – Walker Evans

Hot on the heels of the defeat of yesterday’s statewide ballot issue that would have legalized marijuana in Ohio through the creation of an industry monopoly, a separate effort is already under way to get a new constitutional amendment on the ballot for voters in 2016.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ohio-marijuana-law-2016

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I’d love to read an interview from the organizers! (Hint)

Robertsd937
    Participant

I think the legalization failed because of the monopoly attached to it. Why can’t marijuana can’t be sold like cigarettes or alcohol? Ohio already has a state store system. Just add pot to the list of goods sold there. Why does it have to be complicated? Set up some rules for independent growers (like in a garden) and issue is resolved.

Things got too stupid too quick on this issue. I am for legalizing pot but not handing it over to an organized monopoly.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

I can make it even simpler:

Issue 1: “From this day forward marijuana is now legal, and anyone ever arrested for possession of marijuana shall be released from jail and/or have their criminal record cleared of all marijuana possession charges. Fair and reasonable laws regarding the sale and taxation of marijuana may be enacted”.

That’s it.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Absolutely not. Issue 2 puts a layer in that applies to all proposed initiatives. Part of that wording is:

“confer a commercial interest, commercial right, or commercial license to any person, nonpublic entity, or group of persons or nonpublic entities, or any combination thereof, however organized, that is not then available to other similarly situated persons or nonpublic entities.”

Every potential legalization initiative will, by definition, have to define specific groups of people or entities who will qualify for licenses, distribution opportunities, etc.

For example, here’s the text from an alternative bill proposed by Legalize Ohio: “No person, nor Corporation, shall sell Marijuana, Marijuana Products, Marijuana Leaves,Marijuana Seeds, Marijuana Tissue Cultures, Marijuana Seedlings, Marijuana Plants, any natural product or byproduct of cultivating and harvesting Marijuana Plants, nor any natural byproduct of Manufacturing Marijuana Products, unless that person, or Corporation, has first procured appropriate Commercial Marijuana Entity licenses from the Division of Marijuana Control. ”

I disagree with your assessment. You can have a broad legalization initiative that lets the legislature set the tax rate, lets the legislature define regulations for wholesale growing, etc. – the things that tripped up Issue 3 – and it will get on the ballot. You just can’t specify this group can do x, but no one else can.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d love to read an interview from the organizers! (Hint)

Hint accepted! ;)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

You mean I’m going to have to keep getting my affordable high quality flower, extracts and gummy bears from the same trusted supplier I have been!?

The horror.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 302 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: