Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Legalization of Marijuana in Ohio – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 302 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I posted this in the mayoral race thread too but was about to go vote and was looking up the location and while doing that I realized I never updated my address when I moved a little over a year ago. What does this mean for my ability to vote? Drivers license still has the old address

I updated my address but my license has the old address. Had no problem voting this morning.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

I posted this in the mayoral race thread too but was about to go vote and was looking up the location and while doing that I realized I never updated my address when I moved a little over a year ago. What does this mean for my ability to vote? Drivers license still has the old address

Here are the acceptable forms of ID. You can use things other than a drivers license, such as a utility bill, pay stub, bank statement, etc.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/elections/voters/FAQ/ID.aspx

beeker888
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beeker888 wrote:</div>

Here are the acceptable forms of ID. You can use things other than a drivers license, such as a utility bill, pay stub, bank statement, etc.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/elections/voters/FAQ/ID.aspx

So even though I didn’t update my voting address if I bring information showing my address has in fact changed I won’t have a problem

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Should have gone to the early voting center. you just fill put an absentee ballot card there and put down your DL #.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Should have gone to the early voting center. you just fill out an absentee ballot card there and put down your DL #.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Sometimes you have to take what you can get when you can get it and keep pushing to make it better.

Or more likely the monopoly/oligopoly/cartel lobbies for changes that make the law even more beneficial to them.

So I’ll pretend to be naive and hold out for a better option than 3. Strip the language about the monopoly powers and try again in 2016, when turnout will be higher.

In the meantime, if you partake, keep buying the old fashioned way. Its cheaper.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

So I’ll pretend to be naive and hold out for a better option than 3. Strip the language about the monopoly powers and try again in 2016, when turnout will be higher.

And who will spend the $12 million to collect the 400,000 signatures in 2016 and promote the issue? Let’s not forget the army of attorneys needed to write, re-write and defend the against all the court challenges That’s what Responsible Ohio has spent so far. Ballot amendments aren’t cheap. Do you think it will just materialize out of thin air?

In the meantime, if you partake, keep buying the old fashioned way. Its cheaper.

Cheaper…unless you count the cost of incarceration, a criminal record and the potential inability to secure gainful employment for the rest of your life…. Even this stinking pile of a law is worth it just to decriminalize the situation and give people their lives back.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Cheaper…unless you count the cost of incarceration, a criminal record and the potential inability to secure gainful employment for the rest of your life…. Even this stinking pile of a law is worth it just to decriminalize the situation and give people their lives back.

Current Ohio law, possession of less than 100 grams is a minor misdemeanor, with a fine and no criminal record.

Nice Obama false choices argument. Either spend tens of millions, or “materialize out of thin air.” No in-between. There are other pro-marijuana groups that likely would kick in, who are against the Issue 3 model.

There have been numerous ballot initiatives that have been on the ballot without spending $12 million dollars. Why do you think they are spending that much? Because they know they stand to make much more than that if the law passes. Some of the initial 10 investors are selling “shares” of their initial investment to other investors, already making money of their initial investment.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

name one.

Name one ballot initiative on the last 25 years (not introduced by the legislature) that didnt cost millions of dollars or didn’t have the backing of unions with hundreds of volunteers.

Name 1 group that can get an amendment on the ballot by next year ( I hope they have started already).

If you can make a convincing comparison then I will concede the point.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

turnout high on campus, lots of first time voters, unfamiliar with the machines, this might actually work…any other observations about turnout from different polling locations?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>

Current Ohio law, possession of less than 100 grams is a minor misdemeanor, with a fine and no criminal record.

Nice Obama false choices argument. Either spend tens of millions, or “materialize out of thin air.” No in-between. There are other pro-marijuana groups that likely would kick in, who are against the Issue 3 model.

There have been numerous ballot initiatives that have been on the ballot without spending $12 million dollars. Why do you think they are spending that much? Because they know they stand to make much more than that if the law passes. Some of the initial 10 investors are selling “shares” of their initial investment to other investors, already making money of their initial investment.

There are 20,000 people arrested for marijuana in Ohio every year, only about 1500 of which are for distribution. If you’re under the impression that a misdemeanor doesn’t fill the county jails you’ve never been inside the county jails. They’re filled with poor people…and people of color…who couldn’t afford to pay that minor fine or hire a lawyer.

Nothing false about that.

News
    Participant

Associated Press: Marijuana Legalization Amendment Fails On Ohio Ballot
    Tuesday November 3, 2015 8:03 PM

The Associated Press is reporting that Issue 3 has failed in Ohio. After the rejection of Issue 3, recreational and medical marijuana will not be legalized in the Buckeye State.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/11/03/electionday2015-marijuana-legalization-fails.html

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Ian James is a jerk. Thank goodness no one has to pay him to grow pot in their own home.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Not even close. What an ass kicking.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Not shocked at all. This state is just too culturally conservative for something like that to pass. Just like with marriage equality, the only way legalization will happen here is if the feds step in and change the law. Good luck with that ever happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 302 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: