Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Legal Marijuana

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Legal Marijuana

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Don’t expect a marijuana boom, even where it’s legal

By Jose Pagliery @CNNMoney November 8, 2012: 8:15 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Potheads everywhere rejoiced when two states finally achieved what was previously impossible: legalize marijuana for recreational use. The industry would finally go retail. But entrepreneurs hoping to become shop owners or growers in Colorado or Washington should beware.

READ MORE: http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/08/smallbusiness/marijuana/index.html?section=money_smbusiness

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Just one of so many issues the federal government needs to pull their heads out of their ass on.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I can’t imagine the Obama administration making the War on Drugs any sort of priority.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Video worth watching.

A Montana man is facing life in federal prison for growing marijuana in compliance with Montana’s medical marijuana law –While Jerry Sandusky received a 30-year minimum sentence for raping young boys, Mr. Williams is looking at a mandatory minimum of more than 80 years for marijuana.

Coy
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:
    I can’t imagine the Obama administration making the War on Drugs any sort of priority.

Except that they have, and the video by Mr. Shifter proves it.
    Incarcerating so many non violent mj offenders just keeps the private prisons in business…

Twixlen
    Participant

Interesting reversal by a prominent physician –

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/

Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called “Weed.” The title “Weed” may sound cavalier, but the content is not.

I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.

Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled “Why I would Vote No on Pot.”

Well, I am here to apologize.

Graybeak
    Participant

So I was just reading one of the stories on Colorado’s first day selling legal weed, and it made me wonder.
    It talked about tourists purchasing, and signs at the airport reminding travelers that they are unable to take marijuana home with them on planes.

So if you do indulge then come home and for some reason have to take a drug test, what happens? I mean, sure it is the same thing as if you had been in Amsterdam in the past and came back.
    Would you lose your job?
    Plenty to think about.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Yep, there’s a lot of complicated issues there. I had a client a couple years ago, his company was basically forest fire fighters. They were out of CA, so the whole medicinal marijuana thing was cool within the state, but most forest fires are on federal land and the company was required to drug test to maintain those contracts.

Basically the guy had to decide if he was going to refuse to hire people using marijuana with a prescription and legally or lose his primary source of business.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I suppose the CO cops will be testing drivers for weed intoxication.

rory
    Participant

alexs said:

I saw a CO state police or whatever on the news that said they would do the standard test for impairment that they had always used.

geoyui
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Video worth watching.

A Montana man is facing life in federal prison for growing marijuana in compliance with Montana’s medical marijuana law –While Jerry Sandusky received a 30-year minimum sentence for raping young boys, Mr. Williams is looking at a mandatory minimum of more than 80 years for marijuana.

Luckily for Mr. Williams, the judge worked some miracles with the feds to reduce his potential sentence of 85 years to 5. Most of the sentence reduction, was related to gun possession.

The judge also waived a $1.7 million forfeiture in the case, but ordered Williams to pay the standard $100 court fee on each of the two counts for which he was sentenced.

And, he sentenced Williams to four years’ supervised probation on the drug charge, and five years on the gun charge, to run concurrently.

On a lighter note …

thirstychef
    Participant

alexs said:

Being stoned on PS4/XBOX driving games is not the same as real life when peoples lives are at stake. I do hope they test aggressively.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

thirstychef said:
    Being stoned on PS4/XBOX driving games is not the same as real life when peoples lives are at stake.

you have something you want to tell us?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

Homeboy has increased spending on the war on drugs like crazy compared to the previous admin.

No surprise from that clown liar.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    So I was just reading one of the stories on Colorado’s first day selling legal weed, and it made me wonder.
    It talked about tourists purchasing, and signs at the airport reminding travelers that they are unable to take marijuana home with them on planes…

hmmm, I wonder what happens if you’re flying home to Seattle? Is it illegal to carry it over Utah, Nevada, and Oregon?

For that matter, can you grow it in one legal state and transport it to another legal state for sale if you have to go through a state where it’s not legal? Talk about a cluster***!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: