Messageboard - Classes, Lectures & Learning Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

LEED Green Associate Certification Preparation Courses

Home Forums Events Classes, Lectures & Learning Events LEED Green Associate Certification Preparation Courses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting stuff being offered by CSCC:

http://www.cscc.edu/workforce/green/index.shtml

LEED Green Associate Certification Preparation Course

Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED provides building owners and operators a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.

Lakee911
    Participant

Looks good on a resume. I’m currently studying for this through my employer. I’m going to go on and try for the AP as well.

In studying, I’ve found that a lot of this just requires one to throw money at the problem to make it green (aka LEED certified).

I’d like to start an unofficial open-source, so to speak, LEED-type program. For example my own house I would imagine has maybe enough points to get a LEED certification, but because I am not spending the money (nor do I have a lot of the formal documentation) it will never be LEED certified. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t deserve some recognition though.

Same with my garage that I just built. Although I have not insulated it yet, when I will it will be tight. I’ve used sill sealer, lots of caulk/adhesive, energy effecient windows, insulated door, etc. It’s too small of a structure to get certified, but again I wish that it coluld be recognized.

swan
    Participant

I’d be extremely surprised if your house met any of the prerequisites in any of the categories, let alone attain enough points for certification. And who is going to recognize a garage as a leader in energy and environmental design? haha you have a lot more studying to do.

Being LEED certified really doesn’t mean anything anymore, for an individual or on a resume. It’s just another interchangeable acronym to add to an email signature.

Although educating the public on sustainable practices through design will always be beneficial.

10sun

I took the first two classes in the series.

It was alright, but I wouldn’t recommend it to people outside of existing contractors.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Classes, Lectures & Learning Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.