Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

This topic contains 94 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Nancy H 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Maybe its just me but what are you guys talking about the structure is gone? That looks exactly like the house that is at that corner now. If you want to experience the original structure you can go see it. I think the only thing different is the house behind it is gone and replaced with the 70’s looking apartment building that will be taken down as part of this project.. plus the leafydale building wasn’t there yet in that pic.

leftovers

People are talking about the house that existed on the site of the 1970’s apartment building.

On a side note the land that the 1970’s apartment building is on was owned by ‘Dale Apartment Co’ at in the 1950’s. I am not sure what was on the site at that time.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Ha, just realized my driver’s license still lists Leafy Dale as my address ;)

Time to get some things changed…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some renderings of the proposed expansion. This is still going through the Victorian Village commissions for revisions, fine tuning and other feedback, so of course, none of this is set in stone:

There’s 2 layers of stacked parking with residential above the parking. The back of the lot provides access to the lower level with the front of the building providing access to the ground level parking floor.

Thoughts?

Sethgc
    Participant

There is no way they should approve that curb cut on Dennison. Other than that huge problem, it looks nice.

mrpoppinzs

I think it would be better if the parking entry was somehow off of the alley. I think in this very walkable area the front facade should not be a car hole…

They have their entrance priorities backwards, imho.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    I think it would be better if the parking entry was somehow off of the alley. I think in this very walkable area the front facade should not be a car hole…

They have their entrance priorities backwards, imho.

There is an entrance on both sides, actually. Lower level in the back. Ground level in the front.

I’m not a big fan of any kinds of curb cuts, but it’s actually a very smart way to get around making an interior ramp for cars to navigate between floors. So the two parking levels are separated.

goldenidea
    Participant

Thanks for posting these plans Walker. Do we know how many parking spaces this layout will create and the total number of apartment units & bedrooms within both buildings? Also, I’m curious what the back side of the new building will look like. Will this new building go almost to the curb of the alley, like most of the original building does?

I’m not a big fan of any kinds of curb cuts, but it’s actually a very smart way to get around making an interior ramp for cars to navigate between floors. So the two parking levels are separated.

Plus, the elimated ramp area can instead be used for more parking spaces.

ehill27
    Participant

Sethgc said:
    There is no way they should approve that curb cut on Dennison. Other than that huge problem, it looks nice.

+1

ehill27
    Participant

cbus11

I think those were good comments by the commission. I agree the curb cut should go, especially if it only saves 3 spaces. I am assuming the ghosted lines are what is meant by the penthouse – if so, that is too much.

Mercurius
    Participant

From the last VV Commission meeting:

11. 12-6-31
    779 Dennison Avenue
    Wood Companies (Applicant) Historic Dennison Hotel, LLC (Owner)
    An application and drawings have been submitted.
    Conceptual Review
    • Demolish existing 10-unit two-story apartment building constructed in 1970.
    • Proposed infill project consisting to condominium units and parking.
    The Following is taken from the unapproved May 3, 2012 Victorian Village Commission Special Meeting Minutes:
    Commissioner Comments
    • Commissioner Berthold – Asked the total number of units in the current design, and confirmed that the new
    parking spaces associated with the proposal would be shared between the two buildings. The requirement for
    parking associated with the redevelopment of the Leafy Dale building was granted a parking variance. Both
    levels of the garage should be accessed by the alley. The design scheme is good, but it is at least one floor too
    tall.
    • Commissioner Hissem – Is having difficulty with the proposal because the design is good, but within the context
    the size and massing of the new building is out of scale, overwhelming, and encroaches too much on the
    neighboring historic house. Is against the proposed curb-cut. The vent grills for the garage use would need
    design work.

buckette13

Oooh, I love this area. The building looks nice, but I agree that there should be no curb cut on the street. They should use the alley.

News
    Participant

Construction on Leafy Dale Apartments to Start this Summer
    Published on April 25, 2013 9:50 am
    By: Brent Warren

With construction wrapping up on the Wood Company Building on High Street, the Wood Companies is turning its attention to the next project in its growing roster of new developments in and around the Short North.

The Leafy Dale building at 789 Dennison Ave will be renovated to accomodate 26 apartments, and the 1970′s-era apartment building next door will be demolished and replaced by a new 16-unit apartment building with two floors of parking for 33 cars. The two buildings will be connected and will share an elevator shaft.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-on-leafy-dale-apartments-to-start-this-summer-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

Has any work gotten underway on this project yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.