Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author

leftovers

I think that is great. I hope the VV commission doesn’t drag this one out.

Pablo
    Participant

That’s one ugly apartment building – glad to see it go!

HopperFan

“replacing the adjacent 2-story, 10-unit apartment building”

That was one of the first places I lived in Columbus. *sniff* It’s definitely ugly, though – makes me wonder what used to be there before it was built.

Pablo
    Participant

HopperFan said:
    “replacing the adjacent 2-story, 10-unit apartment building”

That was one of the first places I lived in Columbus. *sniff* It’s definitely ugly, though – makes me wonder what used to be there before it was built.

You can see the original house on the right side of this photo (from the Columbus Metropolitan Library Historic Photo Collection:

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Wow, that’s awesome! That aprtment building has never added any architectural charm to the neighborhood. It sort of emanates sadness (no offense meant to anyone with pleasnt memories of the place, of course).

jjsmith24
    Participant

Here is a better pic taken in 1892 before Leafy Dale was built

leftovers

Yeah, that 70’s suburban apartment building has always seemed out of place.

I think the parking is a nice touch, but the cost of the parking garage plus the new construction and rehab makes me think know that Leafy Dale II is going to be out of my price range. Obviously, they are banking on turning it into condos at some point.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

When I spoke to Mark Wood about the project previously, he said they were planning apartments long term. I don’t think they do much with condos. Of course, that could change…

I emailed Mark last night and he said they’d have more details to share soon.

Pablo
    Participant

If this location is correct, it looks like Leafy Dale had more floors at one time and was originally built as the Dennison Hotel in 1899. Is was a hotel through 1930. I wonder if it burned down or was demolished and was replaced with the structure we see today?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Hmmm. The back of that building looks the same, but yeah the front looks… shorter :). Wow the front porch is cool though! They should slap that sucker back on there! the front of the place always looks a bit naked to me, especially since they cut the big trees down.

Porches are just for doing. They’re for doing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Same building. I believe there was a fire, and the top two floors were removed.

Mercurius
    Participant

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dennison+and+buttles,+columbus+oh&hl=en&ll=39.977375,-83.009219&spn=0.00462,0.009645&sll=39.977369,-83.009029&layer=c&cbp=13,320.04,,0,-4.08&cbll=39.977351,-83.009031&gl=us&hnear=Dennison+Ave+%26+Buttles+Ave,+Columbus,+Franklin,+Ohio+43215&t=h&z=17&panoid=RCAknHfE5Gosbrys99k3GQ&source=gplus-ogsb

HopperFan

Oh, those photos of what used to be there, beautiful. But sad.

I moved into those apartments because of the ridiculously cheap rent – back in the early 90s, I think I paid $260 for a one bedroom.

cbus11

779 Dennison was built in 1970, that gives an idea how forlorn the neighborhood was at that time. I would think the VV commission will be happy to see it gone.

I know someone who was renting there last year. It was $595 for a 500 sq ft one bedroom. For the location it was great. They took dogs and he was right next to Goodale and Wheeler.

ehill27
    Participant

jjsmith24 said:
    Here is a better pic taken in 1892 before Leafy Dale was built

Wow! It’s a shame the original structures are gone (an all too familiar story of historical C-Bus). I hope they had a good reason to demolish them (i.e. fire).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION