Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Dennison (Formerly The Leafy Dale) in Victorian Village

This topic contains 94 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Nancy H 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some extra info on this project:

It will have 21 one-bedroom units and 5 two-bedroom units. The 2-bedroom units range in size from 1200 to 1500 sq. ft. The 1-bedroom units range in size from 465 sq. ft. to 1,200 sq. ft. with the average 1 bedroom about 875 sq. ft.

Currently, the Wood Companies are not yet ready to identify pricing, and parking will be limited.

Walker said:
    Currently, the Wood Companies are not yet ready to identify pricing, and parking will be limited.

Damn, at least 26 more cars in the ‘hood. You bet your boots parking will be limited.

mrpoppinzs

Nice size apartments, it will make it easier to convert over to condos if tjhey choose later on.

I am interested to see what they will rent for. New build large apartments tend to get pretty close to a decent mortgage payment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mel.Starker said:
    Damn, at least 26 more cars in the ‘hood. You bet your boots parking will be limited.

You’re not required to own a car to live here, are you? ;)

Just my 2 cents but more people in a currently abandoned building > slight increase in parking annoyances in an urban neighborhood.

mrpoppinzs

I don’t live there, but I live close by in the Arena District. My condo has one spot so anyone visiting has to find a meter or lot (ie pay to park). As far as my car goes, I am finding out that it is sitting more and more. There is a lot of stuff in the area and COTA is not too bad if you don’t have to make transfers. I think if you lived at this place and worked in the area you could probably get by without a car.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Two best Louis Mumford quotes:
    “Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.”

“The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is the right to destroy the city.”

It also so happens, is case no one realized, that there seems to be some correlation between the best places to live being the worst places to park. The more difficult it becomes to park the more people will utilize and demand better alternative modes of transportation (bikes, buses, sidewalks, trains). I’d be happy if I could never find a place to park in central Columbus. Then you’d know the city was thriving.

Walker said:
    You’re not required to own a car to live here, are you? ;)

Just my 2 cents but more people in a currently abandoned building > slight increase in parking annoyances in an urban neighborhood.

Both very true. Everything except laundry facilities is a stone’s throw away from there. I wouldn’t speak up if I weren’t intimately familiar with the parking limitations that exist in close proximity to Leafy Dale. Even half that many cars would take up almost two blocks of a single-side parking street like Dennison. Based on current parking density on any given evening, accommodating that need within a reasonable distance is going to be a substantial challenge. Throw over 20 cars into the mix and parking in the four blocks north of the park will be tighter than the last neighborhood I lived in in Boston, but without the convenience of a nearby subway system (COTA is simply not comparable).
    I think we’re all on the same page about the city’s need to expand transportation options and be less car-reliant. What might help with this particular situation in the meantime, though, is extending the permitted parking area close to High Street further west to ensure that residents take priority.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mel.Starker said:
    What might help with this particular situation in the meantime, though, is extending the permitted parking area close to High Street further west to ensure that residents take priority.

Agreed. I believe this is something that residents can collect signatures for to get the ball rolling on.

goldenidea
    Participant

While I agree that the revitalization of this building is a big positive in many ways, I also agree with recent posts that the added parking demand is going to have pretty bad impact on those now living on and around this block. I’m not optimistic and these apartments will attract non-car owners just because the parking isn’t physically there. The people moving in won’t realize the impact they are having until it happens. Most prospective tenants will be shopping during the day when there’s plenty of parking. The problem is the lack of enough overnight parking. Permits may help some, but I suspect even with permits there will be too many over-night cars. Permits will lower daytime and evening demand, but less so late night demand, unless the city prices permits high enough to discouage car ownership.

In addition to looking at Thurber Center and Hubbard School for parking, maybe they could buy or lease the 242 Buttles lot and pave it for parking. However, Victorian Village Commission probably won’t allow that. That lot has been approved for condo development, which will eventually create even more parking demand.

leftovers

Making parking permits a little pricier to discourage too many cars may be a good idea, just having them seems like it will help. As someone who thinks that area is pretty awesome I can’t feel too bad for a little inconveniences. I think this place will rent out quickly, just wonder what the rent will be.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I used to live right by this building, and even if my building’s spaces filled up I never had any problems parking on Neil in front of Giant Eagle. There usually weren’t many people parked on the giant eagle side of the road. Maybe they could even contract with whoever owns that shopping center to allow some of the people to park in the parking lot there. There’s plenty of parking around that building.

Either way it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal. When I was looking for a new place a few months ago, many of the german village apartments I saw said that they did not include parking and at least one I remember said there was no available overnight parking near the apartment. There are a lot of people living at the Abigail where there is no parking available unless you get a pass to park at CCADs lots.

leftovers said:
    Making parking permits a little pricier to discourage too many cars may be a good idea,

My concern there is a cart before the horse situation. It doesn’t seem fair to levy a substantial fee for car ownership when the infrastructure to support a fully car-free lifestyle just isn’t there. I love living in a neighborhood where I can go for days without needing a car. But when my work requires a trip outside 270, it’s the only viable option.
    Hubbard Elementary is a really good idea, once the trailers for the Indianola kids are gone. It would be nice to see the school benefit from the situation and it’s nearly dead center of the area with the biggest parking crunch.

goldenidea
    Participant

There used to be sure-thing, go-to parking on Neil Ave in front of Giant Eagle, but last time I looked, not anymore. I used to use it myself.

I can’t claim to have done a rigorous survey of overnight parking, but I know from just random, nightly parking in the area, there isn’t nearly as much free space as before and not nearly enough to accomdate 26 new units without taking away any excess within two or three blocks in any direction, and perhaps more. If this wasn’t a grandfathered development, an assessment would be needed as part of a zoning board parking variance review.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mel.Starker said:
    My concern there is a cart before the horse situation. It doesn’t seem fair to levy a substantial fee for car ownership when the infrastructure to support a fully car-free lifestyle just isn’t there. I love living in a neighborhood where I can go for days without needing a car. But when my work requires a trip outside 270, it’s the only viable option.

The same thing could be said of any city, including New York, San Francisco, etc. If you have a job (or anything else) that requires you to make a trip outside the public transit network, then a car (or a rental or a cab or a ride from a friend) is needed.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I lived in this building for years and got by very easily without a car. My roommate, however, did have a car, and had no problems parking. It’s funny to talk about this building adding parking stress to the neighborhood because it has been there forever (probably since cars weren’t really an issue?), only closed like a few years ago and is now coming back online. See what I mean?

Also– when we lived there there was a fully amenable laundry facility in the (admittedly creepy) basement. Seems like they could make similar arrangements now. With colleges, the Short North, Giant Eagle, North Market and Goodale Park within a stone’s throw, and Lennox Shopping Center a bus ride away, it was really unneccessary to own a car here. But as Mel S says, if you’ve got stuff to do outside the outerbelt, you’re outta luck :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.