Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Law Q: Who pays your water bill?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Law Q: Who pays your water bill?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I was under the impression that in Columbus, the landlord couldn’t legally bill the tenant for water use. Is that true? I’d once found some literature on the matter but I can’t seem to locate anything online anymore.

(Promised my neighbor I’d look into this for her since her landlord has been billing her for water for years, then suddenly stopped. She’s meeting with him tomorrow to discuss the issue and asked me to find as much info as possible for her. If you have any links, advice, experience, etc. – please share! Thanks!)

DCist

It IS legal for a landlord to bill the tenant for the water rather than have the water put in the tenants name to manage. However, the tenant IS entitled to see the bills and if it doesnt get paid and the tenants water is turned off because of this, the landlord is responsible and legal action can be taken. I would suggest contacting the Legal Aid Society, they put out great literature on housing rights.

Lakee911
    Participant

Depends on what is in the Lease. I bill my tenants.

I see. So if the bill is in the landlord’s name, s/he can bill the tenants in order to reimburse herself for the expense?

Moz

Depends on what is in the lease. Our landlord has the water for all of his properties in his name. On a quarterly basis, he gives us copies of the bills along with how he allocates our share, which we include with the next subsequent payment.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

The landlord can absolutely pass the water bill on to the tenant unless her lease states otherwise. The best thing you can do is look at her lease. Water bills in Columbus are billed quarterly and overall, pretty cheap for residential usage.

Thank you so much everyone. I knew I could count on CU for this info :)

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I have a question related to water bills and this looked like the closest thread… When exactly do Columbus water bills come? It it monthly or on a quarterly basis?

sixby9is42

Columbus bills on a quarterly basis.

anillo
    Participant

So if you get overbilled for your water, is there anything you can do about that? Or would you have to see the lease to be sure? (ie, if you’re in a 3br place and get charged 20 bucks per person per month for water, and you ask to see the bills and it turns out you’re not using 60 dollars of water a month, can you ask for your money back?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION