Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Latitude 41

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Latitude 41

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>
    they have a rooftop patio as well, right?

The hotel does, but not L41 necessarily…buuuut they do have a patio that looks on to gay st that I’d be happy to join you on sometime. :)

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

And here’s a sample menu for anyone who hasn’t checked it out lately…
    http://www.latitude41restaurant.com/2007/dinnermenu2010.htm

joev
    Participant

Thanks, lew! Just thought about this while driving by this weekend – I like the lower price/small plates concept. Plus $2 drafts b/t 4 and 7? Icing on the cake.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Thanks, lew! Just thought about this while driving by this weekend – I like the lower price/small plates concept. Plus $2 drafts b/t 4 and 7? Icing on the cake.

I know, right?

Yo Walker…CU Meetup??? :) Patio time? Pweese?

HeySquare
    Participant

Lew– thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking about taking my parents here, but I didn’t know how the food had held up in the last year or so. Nice to know the menu is solid!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Dynamic lineup improving under chef
    Thursday, January 6, 2011
    The Columbus Dispatch

Having taken over as head chef at Latitude 41 in 2009, David MacLennan has provided continuity while making subtle changes.

The quality of execution seems to be on the way back up, after a dip a couple of years ago. As before, a menu printed daily allows MacLennan to react to the availability of seasonal ingredients.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2011/01/06/dynamic-lineup-improving-under-chef.html?sid=101

EmZeeGee

We’ve been impressed by Latitude 41. It seems to be some kind of open secret in central Ohio, and we think it should get more love! They do a great job with more “upscale” dishes (nice soups too), but also do exquisite versions of fun and greasy food; chicken n’ waffles (using Taste of Belgium batter) and poutine for example.

Nikkiangel93
    Participant

Stopped into Latitude 41 yesterday for lunch. I was VERY impressed. I had given it several shots since it has been open for lunch since it is so convienent to my office and it had never lived up to the hype. Yesterday was a total new experience in that restaurant for me. The menu was superb, the food was delicious and the service was wonderful!

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

I went a couple of years ago and was only moderately impressed…good food but not “Oh my god, must-tell-everyone-about-this-good”, and it expensive as well. I hadn’t been back since then, but judging by the comments on here as well as the above article, I may have to give it another try. I really appreciate and respect restaurants whose chefs change their menus to reflect the season and use local ingredients.

So many place to try, too little time/money!!

On a side note, is it just me or is poutine blowing up lately?? (Not that I mind one bit). Several months ago, I’d never noticed it anywhere, but now I see it all over the place. Latitude 41, apparently, included.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

You really must give it another try. We ate there for NYE, and it was nothing short of spectacularly good. The chestnut agnolotti with rabbit and the lamb shank with lentils they did that night were two of the best dishes I’ve had in a very very very long time.

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

Thinking of going there tonight and saw there was a 6 course chef’s whim menu. Thought it sounded interesting. Has anyone tried this? We are trying to decide whether to do this or just order off the regular menu.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I wouldn’t want to spoil the whimsy.

racheltb
    Participant

We did the chef’s tasting for my birthday a few years ago. It was lovely. The restaurant was almost empty (as it has been every time I’ve been there) so the chef was able to take significant time to talk to us. The food is subtly excellent in my opinion. Chef David makes a real commitment to local ingredients which I very much appreciate. Dishes aren’t designed to wow you or set food trends but in my experience preparations are technically perfect, well seasoned, and served appropriately.

My only real complaint is the atmosphere – with few fellow dinners, the high ceilinged rooms seem austere and it has always been cold in my opinion (though I am usually chilly).

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

We went last night and had the Chef’s 4-course tasting. One of our diners had been before and had had a lengthy discussion w/ the chef about his use of Benton’s bacon. The chef recognized him this visit, so when we ordered the 4-course tasting, he said he would add some bacon elements in for those diners at the table who hadn’t experienced Benton’s. It was nice to have this level of interaction w/ the chef.

amouse bouche: deviled eggs w/ bacon and crispy shallots
    1st course: bacon-wrapped figs stuffed w/ bleu cheese
    2nd course: spinach salad w/ goat cheese, candied nuts and bacon vinaigrette
    3rd course: lobster mac & cheese (amazingly good. it came in a small plate, but was so rich it was more than enough and I’m still thinking about it today)
    4th course: 4 desserts; house-made smore, phyllo-wrapped squash tart, beignet with espresso panna cotta, and a caramel nut tart.

LBernard

I jump at any opportunity to eat out, and I am usually satisfied with any meal that I do not have to cook myself. Basically, I am very easy to please. However, our trip to latitude 41 for Easter brunch was a real disappointment. The first thing we noticed was that the menu online was not the same menu offered. Instead of choosing our own main course and sharing sides with all members of the table, we shared main courses as well. This has the possibility of working quite well, if enough of the main courses are presented. This was not the case. We noticed a party of three received one plate of main dishes and one of sides, we were a party of nine and received two of each. This meant before everyone had the opportunity to get their main dish, most were gone. When we asked for refills it took over 15 minutes and the new main dish plate was 1/3 the size of the original. The ham was way overdone and difficult to cut with a knife. The chicken was dry and had tiny bones in it that I needed to “reach in” to retrieve before a nasty choking incident took place. There is no graceful way to do that. The side dishes seemed to be very good, but again, the plating portions were very stingy.
    The service was only mediocre as I had to ask for refills of coffee and we had empty plates in front of us much longer than necessary, as our waitress was busy talking to friends at the bar.
    We had all been to Latitude last Easter and found the food delicious and the service wonderful. This year it seemed “stingy” was the only word to use in the portions offered, and quality was a second thought on some items. For the price and the 20% gratuity that was included it just was not worth the price. I came home and had lunch. Needless to say, we will not be back!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: