Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Latitude 41

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Latitude 41

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I **think** I read a pan of Latitude 41 in one of the weekend papers.

I realize that CU ignores pans of its advertisers , but having never been to Latitude, I’m interested in hearing about others’ experiences.

joev
    Participant

BCOZ wrote I **think** I read a pan of Latitude 41 in one of the weekend papers.

I realize that CU ignores pans of its advertisers , but having never been to Latitude, I’m interested in hearing about others’ experiences.

Interesting, I was just thinking of doing a review. We went last Friday as a special treat. (We had that $50 gift certificate you only pay $25 for – but can’t remember where I found it online.)

In all, the service was GREAT. Extra attentive without being cloying or annoying. We were seated near the “open kitchen,” which seems to be more of a finishing area than the true kitchen. The manager (or someone who seemed like the manager) was arguing with the pastry chef, whom hadn’t been told a large wedding rehearsal party had just been seated. Not too professional, for a manager to get so angry about his own mistake out in the open, I think. I had been for a quick business lunch before, but the dinner atmosphere is more elegant. Tables are widely spaced – take that Marcella’s! There are these weird, tall, room dividing drapes, and staff seem to jump out from behind them with dirty plates whenever you get up.

Now for the food – I would give it 4 stars out of five. The flat bread (we had Tunisian) was VERY good. Cilantro, carrots, goat cheese – altogether delicious. I had the barramundi dish – which was superb if just slightly overdone. Served over a white bean paste with edamame and bits of crisped pork belly – really top notch smoky taste, flavorful without being oversalted. The sauce was good, but forgettable. My wife ordered the braised short ribs – a portion to feed us both for two days. It’s not my thing, but she really enjoyed it. We skipped dessert and stopped at Yossick’s on the way home. Food prices were a good value, except the flat bread wasn’t very substantial and was light on goat cheese for $9.

In all, a very nice experience. I will say that I think their wines are overpriced by about 30%. I’m not a cheapskate, but I can find very good wines for under $10 a bottle, which I totally expect to be marked up in restaurants, but the markup here seems to be 3x. I recognized many of their offerings and didn’t see a good value. Wines by the glass are even more overpriced. The cheapest is $6.50 a glass and the most expensive is $12. (we each had a glass, which was at least a generous pour.) In all, our tab was around $70 before tip.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

BCOZ wrote I **think** I read a pan of Latitude 41 in one of the weekend papers.

I didn’t see it. If anyone can find a link, I’ll post it up for you. Don’t be so quick to assume things all the time.

Edit: or perhaps you’re confusing it with this?

https://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14037

vespamary
    Participant

Nope, BCOZ is spot on. Come on Walker…read past your own article in T.O.P. :lol:

Dining Out, page 28, “Mile-high expectations, middling results”

But I can’t find the link online.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

vespamary wrote Nope, BCOZ is spot on. Come on Walker…read past your own article in T.O.P. :lol:

Dining Out, page 28, “Mile-high expectations, middling results”

But I can’t find the link online.

Oh, well that’s why I didn’t see it or post a link to it. The Other Paper doesn’t post everything online, and rarely do I read through the whole print edition of TOP. Not even when I’m in it. :lol:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

BTW, there’s a bunch of articles here on Lat41’s website:

http://latitude41restaurant.com/2007/reviews.htm

We went there early last year (Feb/Mar maybe) and thought the food was great, but the service we got wasn’t great. Its a little on the pricey side. We compared it to Rosendales in the sense that the food was good, but expensive and the portions are smaller. We figured we wouldn’t be back unless it was for a special occasion.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

i went once and it was wonderful. My review is on these boards somewhere. It’s been a long time though so maybe changes have happened.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks all.

I knew that the place couldn’t be as bad (in every aspect) as the review said.

Prolly a bad day for the reviewer…which sucks for Lat41.

Sounds like it’s worth a go to me…

jgh

BCOZ wrote Thanks all.

I knew that the place couldn’t be as bad (in every aspect) as the review said.

Prolly a bad day for the reviewer…which sucks for Lat41.

Sounds like it’s worth a go to me…

if you end up going…you should probably take one of these with you:

http://wtte.incentrev.com/

Andrew Hall

Utterly moronic review. The classical infinite monkeys can produce a higher quality of writing than TOP.

A.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

If it makes any difference to anyone, I would just like to point out that Lat 41 uses a lot of local & seasonal ingredients and, last I knew, they even had a farmer (farmer Todd from Wayward Seeed) on staff as one of their cooks.

I like Lat 41. I really want to go there sometime for dinner. I’ve only been for lunch so far. The curried sweet corn soup they had this time last year was de.lic.ious. Seriously.

hazy stars

My parents are in town for my younger sister’s graduation from Ohio State. They are staying downtown in the Marriot Rennaisance Hotel. I had the pleasure of dinning with them the past two mornings at the Latitude 41 breakfast buffet. IT IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.

When we got seated everyone received a glass of orange juice, coffee and a mini shot of fresh fruit smoothie.

The scrambled egges were some of the best I’ve ever had in a buffet. They had perfectly seasoned roasted fingerling potatoes that were to die for. The fruit was fresh as can be and they replenished all the trays quite frequently. The croissants were made in house and were exceptionally buttery. The best part, though, what the omelette station — which offered a plethora of fresh local ingredients to be added in.

All in all, I ate way too much at both breakfasts because I could not stop going back for more.

Saturday night we came back for dinner. My parents took me, my sister, her professor and his wife to dinner. We were the first party to show up at the door — and got one of the most amazing receptions I’ve ever had at a restaurant. Everyone came out to greet us … including the head chef (Tony Miller) and … get this … the executive chef and owner!!! Dean Max was actually in town this weekend and came out to talk to us. He is one of the coolest (and best looking) chefs I have ever met. He remembered us in the morning and talked extensively with us throughout our experiences at his restaurant.

I wish I had brought my camera and or/ had written down all the items — because my memory sucks at all the details. This is the best I can do.

We all started out with a specialty (no on the menu but will be made on request) four mushroom flatbread. As a starters my sister ordered the tortilla soup (vegetarian) — and gave me the shrimp and crab dumpling (yum yum). My father order the chicken noodle soup — made with translucent rice noodles and crab, which I ate a good amount of. I started with an arugula and fennel salad — topped with rehydrated dried cherries, spiced pecans and a creamy dill vinaigrette (I think there were more ingredients but my memory sucks today). For dinner, I order the Tempura Tuna — which was delicately seared (still rare), coated in tempura batter and flash fried. It was served over a bed of pan fried eggplant and accompanied by a ball of bamboo shoot flavored rice and a sweet creamy lycee sauce. (APOLOGIES TO CHEF DEAN MAX FOR COMPLETELY BOTCHING THE DESCRIPTIONS OF HIS FOOD!!!). My mother and sister’s professor enjoyed the Walleye, while his wife enjoyed the lobster and crab mac and cheese. My sister does not eat meat, dairy, nuts, pasta, seafood — well lets just say she doesn’t eat most things. They were super accommodating about providing her something to eat. We all ordered dessert. I had the rich moulton chocolate cake with Jenni’s raspberry sorbet. My mother had the bread budding and my sister and her professor had the strawberry rhubarb cobbler. We all enjoyed wine throughout the evening and my mother had perfectly prepared dirty martinis.

All in all, the food was wonderful, the staff was exceptional and the atmosphere was very lovely. And now I totally have a new crush. Might have to move to Florida :wink:

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I searched and couldn’t seem to find a better Latitude 41 thread…if there is one Walker, can you please move this?

I just wanted to peep up and say that I went to L41 with my dad and stepmom for dinner last night, and it was FANTASTIC. I haven’t been in a while, and I wasn’t terrrrribly blown away by past visits. The menu was very different from the last time I recall…lots of small plates, lots of apps and very very good prices. My stepmom had a tomato and mozz flatbread that was super good…cracker thin and the ingredients just tasted top notch and super fresh. She also had a small plate of lobster mac and cheese. There were as many lobster chunks as noodles and it had marscapone and was amazing. My dad sampled a bit of everything after skipping lunch. He had chicken liver pate on toast (yum), deviled eggs (yum), wilted spinach with feta and walnuts (I could eat this every day forever), and hangar steak with bacon and blue yukon smashed taters. I had an arugula salad with shaved fennel, chorizo, and blood orange vinaigrette. For my entree I had a braised beef shortrib with goat cheese polenta, baby beets, and baby carrots. Pints of Goose Island 312 were $2, so I had a couple of those too. I’m psyched by the new menu…changes almost daily these days, and lots of local sources on there. Kewl.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

they have a rooftop patio as well, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION