Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Large dogs in small apartments

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Large dogs in small apartments

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • Author

This is very disheartening to see. I thought animal-lovers were supposed to be just that… animal-lovers. The average unit in the building I live is around 1000 sq. ft. There are many, many people in my building with at least one large dog (although I have seen as many as 4 in one apartment). Large dogs do not deserve to be cooped up in a small living area. Large animals should have a yard and roam about as they please. It’s like owning a huge fish but forcing it to live in a small bowl. It’s disgusting but a huge pattern I have noticed in the area I live. If you want a huge dog, you should rent/buy a house with a yard.

Discuss.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Actually Great Danes are one of the most recommended small apartment dogs.

Coremodels said:
    Actually Great Danes are one of the most recommended small apartment dogs.

I’m not talking about behavior.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:
    I’m not talking about behavior.

Then I have no idea what you are talking about. Danes are recommended for small apartments because they have a very low exercise requirement, so a 20 minute walk may be all they need for a day vs. a dog who would need a yard or tons of space. Mastiffs fall into the same category, as do greyhounds. If your entire premise is “they just seem too big for an apartment”, I don’t see what there is to discuss.

Having a dog should not be about only fulfilling our human needs, we owe it to our dogs, to give them what THEY instinctually need.

Twixlen
    Participant

Interestingly, my dog wouldn’t be that great for an apartment – not without a lot of walking, socializing, extra work. He’s a 20lb terrier mutt.

I don’t think size of the dog has anything to do with the space which they occupy.

Also – this makes all kinds of assumptions about the people who own the dogs. Perhaps they are rescues – would those same dogs have been better off, had no one taken them in?

Different dogs need different things. Sometimes, the people who care for them don’t have good options about where to live (especially renting, with a larger dog), or don’t have a ton of cash. Again – they’ve taken in a dog (generally, I’d say larger dogs are rescues – not all, of course), given them shelter & food & likely a pile of love. That seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Twixlen said:
    Interestingly, my dog wouldn’t be that great for an apartment – not without a lot of walking, socializing, extra work. He’s a 20lb terrier mutt.

I don’t think size of the dog has anything to do with the space which they occupy.

Also – this makes all kinds of assumptions about the people who own the dogs. Perhaps they are rescues – would those same dogs have been better off, had no one taken them in?

Different dogs need different things. Sometimes, the people who care for them don’t have good options about where to live (especially renting, with a larger dog), or don’t have a ton of cash. Again – they’ve taken in a dog (generally, I’d say larger dogs are rescues – not all, of course), given them shelter & food & likely a pile of love. That seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

A) Why would you take in a dog if you don’t have the entire means to provide for it?
    B) My building is not the slightest bit cheap to live in. I should specify that my building is not an apartment building– it is a condo building.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Having a dog should not be about only fulfilling our human needs, we owe it to our dogs, to give them what THEY instinctually need.

Which is what core was saying; you’re not talking about giving dogs what they need, but what you think they need.

rus said:
    Which is what core was saying; you’re not talking about giving dogs what they need, but what you think they need.

I think the problem here is that you aren’t grasping the fact that your dog needs you to understand what it means to be a dog.

It’s not about the dog. It’s always about the owner. It’s up to the owner to create an environment and circumstances in which the dog can thrive and be itself.

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:

Bingo! Dogs are not a math equation. i.e. x lbs = y amount of space.

That said, I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that many dogs do not get the ideal amount of space and/or exercise they need for a healthy, happy life.

But to the point of why would you take in a rescue if you don’t have a big year. Umm, because the alternatives for the dog a much, much worse if you don’t. (and yeah, my little yapper is a rescue, and so was my last dog, and my next will be also). Want to make a real difference besides just griping? Volunteer for a rescue. You don’t have to even take a pet in, I’ve spent plenty of time just taking supplies to the people who are fostering pets until they can be placed.

SusanB
    Participant

1000 sq. ft for one person and a dog doesn’t sound that small to me.

We must respect animals as the beings they are, rather than as the near-human companions we might wish them to be.

As a mother, I can attest to the fact that while raising a healthy, balanced dog is nowhere near as complicated a task as raising a healthy, balanced human, it is absolutely no less of a commitment.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Bingo! Dogs are not a math equation. i.e. x lbs = y amount of space.

Exactly.

My pooch is a rescue as well.

rus
    rus
    Participant

We must respect animals as the beings they are, rather than as the near-human companions we might wish them to be.

You first.

Twixlen
    Participant

A) Why would you take in a dog if you don’t have the entire means to provide for it?
    B) My building is not the slightest bit cheap to live in. I should specify that my building is not an apartment building– it is a condo building.

A) Because sometimes life happens and circumstances change.
    B) I still find it odd that you are judging your neighbors in this way. If the dogs were creating some issue for you (barking, crapping in the hallway, threatening you in some way), *then* you have an issue. Now, you’re just looking for some way to push a weird, slightly obscure agenda, that feels faintly like some of the vegan rigamarole bandied about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: