Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Landmark Forum

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Landmark Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

enzo wrote I did go to the intro session last night. I went with several other curious folks.

I look at it like doing a restaurant review. Nothing wrong with finding out what this business “serves”. If you put a negative spin or are only seeking the negative, you will find just that. If you have a NEUTRAL view, so much less aggravating and easier to move beyond all the drama.

You didn’t find out what they serve, you found out what they want you to think they serve…until you write the check. If you’re interested in what they serve, you should read the article in the Huffington Post, because it’s covering an actual seminar…not the free sales pitch for the actual seminar.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Very good, Blammo! I’m with you. I think enlightenment comes from within, breaking down your own walls, rebuilding something you can be proud of, and the world will follow. For some that’s through religion, others a general spirituality not centered around faith in the unknown, but never ever ever should it COST YOU MONEY. That’s like “models” that pay for their own books, am I right, Core? :lol:

The only money I recommend spending is on some psycho-therapy sessions. Not because I think you’re crazy, but because I think everyone, at some point in their life, needs an hour a week dedicated to them. There’s nothing wrong with saying, “Hey, I can’t figure this life stuff out and I need a hand.” Might be better than airing your dirty laundry on a public forum.

Self discovery is a bitch! Everyone always wants to pay for the easy way out. It’s why these cult people, along with the makers of diet pills, hair regrowth sprays, face creams with sperm, etc. will always be rich.

Cookie

enzo wrote I did go to the intro session last night. I went with several other curious folks.

I look at it like doing a restaurant review. Nothing wrong with finding out what this business “serves”. If you put a negative spin or are only seeking the negative, you will find just that. If you have a NEUTRAL view, so much less aggravating and easier to move beyond all the drama.

I don’t believe that you went with a neutral view. I think you went with a positive view, and that you tend to lack a critical eye when it comes to anything even vaguely new agey. Look what you said before you even went:

It is a great way to do some self study and get out of your own way and improve your quality of life.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Cookie wrote

I don’t believe that you went with a neutral view. I think you went with a positive view, and that you tend to lack a critical eye when it comes to anything even vaguely new agey.

I don’t’ believe she went at all. I believe if she had gone, she’d find herself unable to keep from sharing all the wisdom nuggets she had gotten.

Lack of nuggets=lack of attendance.

enzo
    Participant

I am SO not writing a check. I love what I learn from the vedas and other things that teach it is an inside job. However, Blammo you and I both know there are some people who are TIED UP IN KNOTS of fear and anger. What works for some may not work for others, but guess what, if we all end up at the same place WHO THE HECK CARES how you got there. I like to research and do personal studies on people. I know several people who have gone through The Forum and do I think their life is any better than mine, NOPE. I think it worked for them, and they got to where they felt they needed to go. It is all so personal, self study and self awareness is the common thread in any self help, religion, philosophy etc. Aware/awake/etc.

Do I think you should have to pay a ton of money for something NO…however, in our world we get conditioned to believe to really GET OR HAVE something an exchange of money has to happen.

My teacher does not require MONEY, my actions (even if I suck at doing something great in columbus). I am not a carbon copy of him, I take what I learn and if it fits I put it on, if it doesn’t it stays in the closet.

I have to say some of the people who got up to talk, I was wishing they would stop talking FOR SURE—but some people just want to be heard especially if they have been carrying around bullshit from their past.

My favorite mainstream person is Eckhart Tolle…A NEW Earth and The Power Of Now…I felt like if the people in that room would spend $20 on those books, it would have a greater impact.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Best whack job on CU, where was that on the 2008 Survey? That might have been a tighter race than we all think…

Cookie

enzo wrote However, Blammo you and I both know there are some people who are TIED UP IN KNOTS of fear and anger.

Did that make anyone else think of this?

enzo
    Participant

Coremodels wrote

Cookie wrote

I don’t believe that you went with a neutral view. I think you went with a positive view, and that you tend to lack a critical eye when it comes to anything even vaguely new agey.

I don’t’ believe she went at all. I believe if she had gone, she’d find herself unable to keep from sharing all the wisdom nuggets she had gotten.

Lack of nuggets=lack of attendance.

Core…nuggets!! I learned some things, but if you do any sort of inside work, it is just the same info repackaged. Just like some people have to repackage ZEN to reach mainstream. One of the most fundamental priciples of buddhism “”Now don’t believe a single word just because a Buddha told you, but see if it fits with your own experience. Be your own guiding light.”

It is just a different way of TAPPING INTO YOURSELF…it works for some, not something I am signing up for, but now I understand.

berdawn

I thought this was something about the Gateway theatre!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

This is very interesting, because there might be some pretty amazing people that you all know, who are into this forum. I’ve never gone there, so I wouldn’t know from what.

And Enzo, I would save your money. It appears you can get torn down here, for free. :?

daniel

daniel

So, walker and I were talking about this a little tonight.

I ended up going to to this last year based on the recommendation of 2 or 3 people i respect, and had a great experience.

It’s a little odd to read about it in the thread, because while i can understand reports from the internet being reposed without proper context, it really didn’t reflect anything I saw going on.

NoCowsGo

Glad you enjoyed it Daniel! :)

I did the Teen Forum when I was about 14, and I’ve also done the Advanced Course. Landmark continues to be a fantastic tool for me, and I often find myself recalling the Forum in making life choices and dealing with relationships.

I certainly understand why people are skeptical, given the wide variety of hucksters and cons that are around. I’m sure if I’d first heard about Landmark as an adult, I’d be skeptical too.

DannyB
    DannyB
    Participant

If we’re going to talk cults, let’s look critically at some of the criteria that could reasonably be used to define a cult…

1. fanatical devotion to a single leader or small group of leaders
    2. exclusion of outside ideas
    3. forced disassociation from those who don’t believe in established dogma
    4. ostracization of those who once did but no longer conform to established dogma
    5. separation and seclusion from society
    6. commitment of large amounts of money

If you look at the Branch Davidians, Scientologists, or Heavan’s Gate you’ll see all of these six things in action. Landmark Education and Landmark Worldwide do none of these things. One might cogently argue on point six, however I would counter that Landmark programs are cheaper than University, community college, online classes, professional development courses, the Dale Carnegie Course, and large group awareness training. I would also argue that any of the revealed religions are far more a cult by the above criteria than could ever be considered Landmark.

Landmark has its good points, and its bad points. It has its good participants, and its questionable ones. As a rule, however, I have found its programs to be useful, and it certainly isn’t a cult by any set of reasonable criteria. The first class, the Forum, is indeed very strict and regimented, while the ensuing seminars and classes are much more casual and relaxed. If you’re interested in really seeing what their material is all about, you can order some of their events in audiobook format from your preferred online audiobook vendor.

alice123
    alice123
    Participant

I’ve attended plenty of formal and informal educational experiences in my life. Some cost money. Some didn’t. I’ve given serious consideration to business mentors who charge $500 to participate in a one-day seminar. I’ve turned down some opportunities because they seemed like a scam. But sometimes things cost money because they have good value.

Having attended a couple of Landmark events (in addition to attending a selective university, some Small Business Administration workshops, reading a lot of books, attending lectures, having a good therapist, reading Eckhart Tolle, etc…) I deem them a very good value. $500 or $600 for a three-day seminar is perfectly reasonable. Considering the staff and real estate required to make it work for the 100 attendees, I didn’t see anyone getting rich from the enterprise.

The reason people try to get other people to attend isn’t because it’s a cult. It’s because they (and I) found a useful context for looking at life, and it’s easier to put it to work when the people around me “get it,” too. My friends and family can support me better if they don’t think I’m crazy for trying to redefine my abilities and agency in this world.

There are classes in school for just about every topic EXCEPT self-awareness and personal development. One of the tenets of Landmark, no matter which instructor is in front of the room, is that I am responsible for my world. I don’t get to blame anyone else. Imagine if everyone figured that out… How could that be a bad thing?

If you don’t want to attend, that’s perfectly fine. The only thing I gain from more people attending Landmark is more people to hold me accountable for being responsible for my own life. That’s why people ask their friends to sign up.

And no, you do not have to ask permission to use the bathroom. Obedience is not the thing Landmark is trying to instill in class participants. Quite the opposite.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: