Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lack of Diversity at Columbus Alive

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Lack of Diversity at Columbus Alive

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

You seem to focus on their appearance ( skinny, young and white ) and I read you as their appearance being the determining factor for their writing ability. I don’t agree with that.

I’m not downgrading the abilities of any of the current Alive staff, nor do I think that their race has anything to do with their writing talent. But there is more to writing –or producing a good paper –than talent. Wideness of experience and perspective also plays a part, and while demographics are not destiny, people of different ages, races, genders and sexualities still tend to have had very different experiences traveling through life –on the whole.

For example, you, at your age, with your experiences of traveling and living in other countries, have a different range of experiences than a 20 year old who has never left Ohio. Adding someone like you to their team would be an advance in diversity, even if it didn’t change the racial makeup of the writing team.

No one person (or group) has a monopoly on the truth. I’m not trying to replace one monoculture with another.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

Come to think of it I can’t think of a single non-white reporter at the Cleveland Plain Dealer either.

There’s a couple at least that come to mind.
    Phillip Morris is a black columnist for them and they have at least one guy in sports.

When I worked for the PD, there were handful of minority reporters and the ME was black.

rus
    rus
    Participant

nor do I think that their race has anything to do with their writing talent.

Then we agree on that much.

For example, you, at your age, with your experiences of traveling and living in other countries, have a different range of experiences than a 20 year old who has never left Ohio. Adding someone like you to their team would be an advance in diversity, even if it didn’t change the racial makeup of the writing team.

Yet I can’t imagine anyone who reads the Alive would be interested in what I’d write. Adding me to their staff may increase diversity, per that definition, but I doubt it would result in a product any more marketable.

GeeDee
    Participant

I doubt it would result in a product any more marketable

That depends. Can you write about such scintillating subjects as:

* Best burgers
    * Best happy hour
    * Coldest beer
    * Favorite bars
    * Best meatballs

And other not-so-subtle advertisements?

rus
    rus
    Participant

I doubt it would result in a product any more marketable

That depends. Can you write about such scintillating subjects as:

* Best burgers<br>
    * Best happy hour<br>
    * Coldest beer<br>
    * Favorite bars<br>
    * Best meatballs

And other not-so-subtle advertisements?

My thesaurus does include the words “succulent”, “craft” and “nourishing”. On the other hand it also includes “overpriced”, “pretentious” and “crap”.

I’d think their not so subtle advertisements wouldn’t end up either subtle or advertisements.

cheetobuttercup
    Participant

I’m upset that all the ushers at the Horseshoe are old and white.

Anecdotally, my friends who are outside the Alive target demographic don’t read that publication.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

So I’d say Chris that maybe you should just quit picking the damn things up.

Maybe. Honestly though, I’m hoping that this thread will at least start a conversation over there. We all know the Alive staff reads CU. It’s like on Saturday Night Live: Keenan finally spoke up and said he was tired of putting on a wig every time they wanted to parody a black female character, and overnight the black population on the show more than doubled –and the show, at least in my opinion –got funnier.

Anecdotally, my friends who are outside the Alive target demographic don’t read that publication.

Right. Seems like the last thing you want to do in today’s publishing environment is unnecessarily limit your readership, but hey…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Chris, what’s your plan then to make Alive more diverse? Publicly shame them into hiring people who aren’t white? Not buy their magazine, considering it’s free?

Not sure what the point of this thread is now. It’s kinda run out of steam.

joev
    Participant

It’s like on Saturday Night Live: Keenan finally spoke up and said he was tired of putting on a wig every time they wanted to parody a black female character, and overnight the black population on the show more than doubled –and the show, at least in my opinion –got funnier.

When you give less screen time to Keenan Thompson, things can only get funnier.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Chris, what’s your plan then to make Alive more diverse? Publicly shame them into hiring people who aren’t white? Not buy their magazine, considering it’s free?

Good question.

GeeDee
    Participant

Maybe Columbus Alive has binders full of people of color the same way Romney had binders full of women?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Chris, what’s your plan then to make Alive more diverse? Publicly shame them into hiring people who aren’t white?

Sure, why not?

Schoolboy
    Participant

Not even sure why I’m writing this, as it will be too easy to be taken the wrong way but…

As someone who has far more “non white” friends, I can honestly say that I can only think of 1 person in my entire friend circle including family/friends of their friends that were pursuing an actual career in print journalism. On the flip side, I know a couple of “white” people who are. Not many, but definitely a much much larger percentage.

Now broadcasting, advertising, communications and careers of the like… the percentages are much more equal.

Guess my point is, is this really the Alive’s fault?

Even those that I knew pursuing a journalism type career took a lot of flack from everyone around them.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The point is to share random anecdotes I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 175 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.