Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lack of Diversity at Columbus Alive

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Lack of Diversity at Columbus Alive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I have to admit, this has bothered me for a while. At the beginning of the Columbus Alive, there is a weekly featurette with pictures of all their staffers, and its a group of people that has been getting slowly less diverse over time.

It was never a hugely diverse group of people, but at least it had a little variety. Now there are no non-white people, no older people –there aren’t even any people who don’t look skinny left!

It really got to me this week, when the question of the day was “What is your favorite Chinese restaurant.” First of all, most of the answers were terrible. Second, they couldn’t even find one single actual Asian person to ask, even in their man-on-the-street feature. Some of the people sounded like they’d never even tried Chinese food. Columbus has got to do better than this!

wpcc88
    Participant

Maybe those “diverse” people that you describe should take an interest in journalism. Why blame those that are doing a job for the lack of effort/interest on the part of others? I will never, ever understand your(and people with similar views) take on things.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

There’s not one person in Columbus who isn’t young, white and skinny who has an interest in journalism? Or who would even answer a question if someone asked them to be part of a “man-on-the-street” interview?

There used to be people who weren’t 100% from the same demographic mold at the Alive –what happened? They all simultaneously lost interest in journalism, or the Alive quit hiring them?

I will never, ever understand your(and people with similar views) take on things.

I feel I understand yours all too well.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m too lazy to check, but isn’t that the case at The Dispatch as well (only middle aged white people)? I can’t think of a single person of color in an editorial role.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Chris, you realize that if people like you would stop pointing out racism and lack of racial diversity, racism wouldn’t exist right?! /sarcasm

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

A shitty entertainment rag lacks diversity.

1.5/4 Mehs.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Why would anyone waste their time with Columbus Alive?

“Columbus has got to do better than this!” Columbus Alive is somehow a mouthpiece for the city, an official representative of, what, city government? What is this “Columbus” you are referring to that must do better?

Finally: “Chris, you realize that if people like you would stop pointing out racism and lack of racial diversity, racism wouldn’t exist right?! /sarcasm”

A filler Q&A piece about local Chinese restaurants by a non-diverse group is a form of racism? I know that’s not exactly what you’re saying, but still.

I don’t pick up Columbus Alive because it’s of no interest to me and doesn’t reflect my interests. It’s also boring and substanceless. I hate the fact that Columbus doesn’t have the kind of good independent weekly I’ve enjoyed reading in other cities in which I’ve lived. I suppose one could in some way demand that it improve. Good luck with that. I chose not to support it, and wouldn’t miss it one bit it of went away.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Doug is it better to have no alternative press? I don’t think anyone is asking for The Village Voice exactly, but asking news sources to do better isn’t a crazy expectation.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I should have said “Columbus Alive” must do better. It’s not about racism. It’s not about fairness. It’s about me wanting a better paper.

I know not many people read it anymore, but I still do, and as part of their readership I think it’s fair for me to expect at least a bare minimum level of diversity among the staff. The Dispatch systematically bought out and dismantled the competition (yes, there did used to be far better alternative weeklies here too) so this is all we have left.

I’ve watched it get worse and worse over the past couple of years, and I’m using my voice to speak out and say publicly –Dispatch/ColumbusAlive, I want better.

I’m too lazy to check, but isn’t that the case at The Dispatch as well (only middle aged white people)? I can’t think of a single person of color in an editorial role.

Yes, but Alive doesn’t even have middle aged people any more.

Why blame those that are doing a job for the lack of effort/interest on the part of others?

It’s interesting –I’m a programmer by trade. Most IT environments are almost all male, all white. After a while you start to think –maybe only white males have an aptitude for this business. But now I’m working for a major local employer and –surprise! –they seem to have had no trouble finding plenty of talented, intelligent programmers of every race, gender and age. It looks like if you actually look for those people they are out there.

Meanwhile, many shops that consider themselves pretty progressive can’t seem to find their way clear to hiring anyone who doesn’t look just like the rest of their employees –for “cultural” reasons!

jackoh
    Participant

What appears in the pages of Columbus Alive is considered “journalism?” By whom?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The New Orleans alternative paper is The Levee, with the motto: “We don’t hold anything back”

“Stupidity is not a partisan issue”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Orleans_Levee

WJT
    Participant

The Dispatch systematically bought out and dismantled the competition (yes, there did used to be far better alternative weeklies here too) so this is all we have left.

I’ve watched it get worse and worse over the past couple of years, and I’m using my voice to speak out and say publicly –Dispatch/ColumbusAlive, I want better.

<

The Dispatch ruins anything it touches IMHO. There is your answer.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Maybe more non-whites should get into journalism, huh? Certain professions attract certain races. I’m sure they would hire someone of another race if they were qualified but when few non-whites are walking through the door AND are not qualified, the pool gets pretty thin. Just my assumption anyway.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Give them a few more years, it will likely be a one-man operation if it exists at all.

wpcc88
    Participant

Write a letter to the editor it is as simple as that. Print journalism is and had always been a primarily white profession for whatever reason. Maybe voice your opinion at a Columbus school board meeting. Or blame inner-city schools for doing an absolutely horrible job for the past 40 odd years preparing a majority of our minority population.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.