Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

La Bamba Closed - Qdoba Opens In Their Place

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining La Bamba Closed – Qdoba Opens In Their Place

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

jennybell

I stopped at La Bamba last night to get a quesadilla, and the back door was locked. I walked around front to find the place empty and sign gone.

A trio of High Street streetpeople (not “high” streetpeople) were out front, and they let me know that the place’s last day was Sunday. I was told that the Chicago-based owners shut down all locations.

I asked about the people that worked there… what happened to them? One of the guys told me he is friends with one of the guys, and he had gone to file for unemployment.

Anyone have any insight on what happened? I cannot believe I’ll never have the hot sauce ever again.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

That’s too bad.. was just in there last week. They never had many people in that one, though it sounds like the chain as a whole wasn’t doing very well.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

They lost their niche. Ten years ago it was the only place to get a burrito like that –now you can find them anywhere.

bucki12

ChrisSunami said:
    They lost their niche. Ten years ago it was the only place to get a burrito like that –now you can find them anywhere.

+1

I am sure there will be something else in that spot in no time.

paktinat

But where will I buy nachos?!?!
    Seriously I used to eat here once a week because it is so close to my office, this bums me out.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

I will miss them terribly. It was worth the trip to campus to get one. Didn’t see that one coming – that place has been there as far back as I can remember (I moved here the first time in 1995).

bayrea
    Participant

Labamba was one of those places that tasted INCREDIBLE at 3am after a night of boozin it up and tasted like blech any other time of the day. That being said, I will miss Labamba. Many a late night spent there.

mrpoppinzs

One image emblazoned in my mind from my college days is of a guy sitting on the sidewalk outside of there passed out, face down in a burrito. That burrito must have tasted like victory.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So how late is Junior’s or any other taco truck between Downtown and Clintonville open? I gobbled up some late night chorizo and avocado burrito on my way home from festivals or work and my only complaint would be that they made the regular size too big, way too big; but who could resist eating the whole thing?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

this makes me sad.

This really sucks. I was waiting to find a weekend to go out and hit bars with my SO so they could experience the glory of LaBamba first hand…they will now never know.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

we still have number one chinese and pizza by the slice! (which I know has a real name but i’ve always just called it pizza by the slice)

I stepped foot into number 1 chinese I think my first week on campus in 1999, I have not been back since. I think i heard the same from most people at osu. Flying pizza is ok, and I ate lunch there throughout my time at osu, the lunch deal is pretty reasonable and the pizza, while not the best, is suitable.

dru
    Participant

vestanpance said:
    we still have number one chinese and pizza by the slice! (which I know has a real name but i’ve always just called it pizza by the slice)

CU history:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/number-one-chinese-worst-restaurant-2006

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

dru said:
    CU history:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/number-one-chinese-worst-restaurant-2006

Comment: vestanpance December 18, 2006 9:53 am
    you just didn’t want to give the plaque to the guys at taco Ninja because they would have beat your ass ninja style :P

I forgot all about ninja taco!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO