Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

L'antibes

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion L’antibes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Daz
    Participant

I just have to say, that I went to L’antibes this evening, and had one of the best dining experiences that I’ve ever had.

Food was flawless. Service was unbelievable. Everything was so far beyond expectations that I don’t really know what else to say.

I’m going to go sit in the bliss that I am consumed with after that meal.

milodesc

i’m intrigued… what did you order?

i’ve never even considered going there before.

enzo
    Participant

I really want to go there with some fantastic guy sometime before I turn 100 seems super romantic.

Daz
    Participant

milodesc wrote i’m intrigued… what did you order?

i’ve never even considered going there before.

I’ll give a really long winded answer to this, and include costs (because I like it when people do that for me). Also, keep in mind that I, as an eater, am one who adores gigantic flavors. Thanks to a constantly stuffy nose, many subtleties are wasted on me.

We ordered a bottle of French pinot noir for drink:

It kills me that I don’t rememer the name of it, because it was a very solid wine. Definitely something that needed more time to build character as it started off extremely light and fruity, and then moved into something that is more along with my tastes. Lots of character to it.

Cost: $45

I’ll copy and paste off of the menu for the food:

Jo and I both started off with:

Escargots in a lemon-chervil beurre blanc

Which, is better than any escargots I’d ever had in France. The texture was perfect and the flavor of the garlic and spinach were accented just right for me. Jo sometimes prefers the more overwhelming garlic flavor in hers, but thats because she’s not much of a spinach eater.

Cost: $9/ app

Then her second course was:

Duck breast with raspberry-cassis sauce

Which was unspeakably delicious. The chef prepared the duck to an exact perfection and the seasoning was something to write home about. I suppose that, since I’m an AVID duck fan, I have a slight bias here, but I haven’t had a piece of meat like that in some time.

Cost: $25

My second course was:

Veal sweetbreads with noisette butter, chardonnay,

lemon juice and capers

Now, I’d never had sweetbreads before but had always been meaning to try them, and when a really great restaurant is serving something that I’ve always wanted to try, I order it (figuring that this would better shape my first experience with a new food).

It melted like butter in my mouth. There was the slightest crispyness to the outside, and from that point I just let it melt into my tongue as it hit most of the points well.

Cost: $27

Then, it was time for dessert.

Jo ordered:

Bittersweet chocolate dessert similar to a chocolate mousse but denser, served in an almond tulip with coffee sauce

Which, if you are any fan of chocolate, will be the type of thing that you fantasize about. It was the perfect combination of dark chocolate and coffee flavors and it was topped with a small hint of white chocolate shavings that just absolutely perfected this dessert. Had I known how good this would’ve actually been, I would’ve ordered it too. The only warning at this point is: if you order dessert here, make sure you have wine left over or you’ve started on a second bottle, because the chocolate is the type of rich to where I had wished I hadn’t finished that Pinot.

Cost: $10 (it says 7 on their website, but all desserts are 10)

I ordered the special of the evening, which was a flourless chocolate torte with almond crust and a raspberry puree. It was wonderful, but didn’t hold a candle, for me, to the dessert mentioned before. The presentation was phenomenal and the taste REALLY picked up at the end as dark chocolate was used to help make the crust.

Cost: $10

I also had a glass of dessert wine with my dessert (a 2004 ice wine) which ran $8. Great for a dessert wine, but in my findings, people like the stuff or they hate it.

Cost for the entire meal after tax (before tip): ~$151

Total time: 2hrs 15 minutes

If anything could be considered a down side to this place it would be the length of the meal. I understand that many people do not share my preference for meals to take 2+ hours, so that could be an issue. I always just say to keep the wine flowing and the conversation good and you’ll never notice.

As for intimacy and romance levels the place, it is indeed the type. There are only about 30 seats in the main dining area.

I’ve read many things about this place being overrated and I must say that this was definitely not the case for me. I couldn’t praise it any more if I wanted to.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

That all sounds fantastic. I am jealous. :) I love duck and would love to check the place out for that alone…and the escargot…haven’t had that in a while. Have you ever had the duck breast at Z Cucina? It is fantastic too…served with marscapone polenta. Yums.

Ok, now I’m really hungry.

shroud
    Participant

Hmm… definitely sounds like a great meal. Thanks for the descriptions and prices as well. Helps to know exactly what kind of thing you’re getting into.

May have to try for L’Antibes on the next special occasion…

gramarye
    Participant

Very interesting. I’ve actually never been to L’Antibes because one of my friends in college gave it a somewhat milquetoast review, at least for its prices. Maybe I’ll have to give it a shot sometime now.

ChrisD28

My mother and I went to L’Antibes for my birthday last year. I got the duck that was mentioned above and just wanted to second the very positive review. We had a fantastic meal and fantastic service. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion.

By far one of the best date spots in town!

captain janks
    Participant

sweetbreads

ahh the art of euphemisim :lol:

gramarye wrote milquetoast

Word of the day calendar?

swan
    Participant

hmmm maybe ill go here for new years…

gramarye
    Participant

rave_til_dawn wrote

gramarye wrote milquetoast

Word of the day calendar?

Hah. Not rly.

Daz
    Participant

I’d just like to say that tonight, Jo and I went to the North Market Chef Cooking Series featuring John Skaggs from L’Antibes. He is the lunch and the brunch chef there.

We made reservations for Sunday brunch immediately when we got home.

His cooking is the type of thing people write novels about.

hazy stars

Daz wrote I’d just like to say that tonight, Jo and I went to the North Market Chef Cooking Series featuring John Skaggs from L’Antibes. He is the lunch and the brunch chef there.

We made reservations for Sunday brunch immediately when we got home.

His cooking is the type of thing people write novels about.

John Skaggs trained me in the kitchen. He was the founding Chef of Northstar and ran the kitchen during a good portion of my kitchen training. He was one of my favorite people to work with. We would spend hours doing prep work and talking about world issues and important things. He taught me super awesome knife skills and the fastest way to slice onions.

John Skaggs is my hero.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE