Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kooma - General disappointment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kooma – General disappointment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author

nexttuesday
    Participant

I am not a big sushi fan, but the Honda crowd eat at Yoshi’s on Frantz Rd. I know you are all looking for somewhere central, but if you’re willing to make the trip it’s worth it.

Boyd

I have had some very good meals at Kooma, but I have had some average ones as well. I think their biggest problem is consistency…especially when they are busy.

Concerning the comment in the original review about some of the fish “falling below freezing” or something to that effect…a lot of fish used for sushi MUST be deep frozen for public health reasons…I believe there are two main exceptions…certain tuna and some kinds of farm raised salmon. (The only reason I know this is that my wife is a health inspector.) Without knowing the details of the exact fish in question…it may be unavoidable.

Lastly…(you can refer to a thread in the “Club/DJ Events” section of this messageboard)…I will actually be doing the DJing one weekend a month at Kooma starting in February 2008 and will be bringing a smathering of new and old groovy house music.

enzo
    Participant

Typhoon used to have house music in the front area too…it is the same level as overhead music…I think DJ is a nice touch at Kooma–it is my favorite place to sit and eat sushi…I used to love Sulan (I think that was the name–east of downtown).

Ndcent

enzo wrote >> I think DJ is a nice touch at Kooma–it is my favorite place to sit and eat sushi…

Yeah, you know…I think you mentioned that.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

“Kooma is awesome.”

“I already posted about Kooma in another thread on the best sushi in columbus.”

“.I think DJ is a nice touch at Kooma–it is my favorite place to sit and eat sushi”

“The house music at Kooma is what makes it rise above the others”

“Kooma is my favorite sushi and when you toss in some killer house music….what more could you want”

Yep, definitely mentioned…

enzo
    Participant

Was it Sulan with the waterwall?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Boyd wrote >>
    I have had some very good meals at Kooma, but I have had some average ones as well. I think their biggest problem is consistency…especially when they are busy.

I’ve been in twice, and both times seemed like a normal dinner hour.. but service was very bad and the food was meh…

Music was good though (i was in to see a friend DJ), so that’s fine..

Boyd wrote >> Concerning the comment in the original review about some of the fish “falling below freezing” or something to that effect…a lot of fish used for sushi MUST be deep frozen for public health reasons…I believe there are two main exceptions…certain tuna and some kinds of farm raised salmon. (The only reason I know this is that my wife is a health inspector.) Without knowing the details of the exact fish in question…it may be unavoidable.

What the OP may have been referring to is re-freezing. I’ve seen this happen before and it makes for nasty sushi. This is avoidable and there’s no excuse for it…

They may have also gotten some fish that was improperly thawed. This shows a general lack of attention to preparation. This is also avoidable.

shmack

so ummm, not to point out the obvious, but four pages into this thread and no one has noticed that the pic accompanying frozen twinkies’ original post is of typhoon and NOT kooma?

i want to know if the review was of typhoon or of kooma.

lifeliberty
    Participant

the pics wrong, but with it being across from N market and dj music, I assume Kooma.

panzuriel

I’m a bit late to the party, but I thought I’d add my two cents. I too was disappointed by Kooma but not entirely for reasons that are the restaurant’s. My sushi partner in crime had been talking up Kooma for weeks prior to my first visit, so my expectations were unreasonably high. Add to the equation the effort of going there during the arnold last year and walking two blocks from the nearest available parking space. The food was pretty much decent, but I was expecting mind blowing. This was during the day, so I can’t comment on the DJ. Service was adequate. The decor was odd, but I really don’t pay much attention to that sort of thing if everything else is at least passable. Overall, I would say that the sushi is probably 3.5/5 but I’ve had better with less effort for me.

Granted if you lived within walking distance, it probably would score a bit higher for you.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

So now I usually stick to Akai Hana.
    Then again, I would live at Akai Hana if that were possible. I love how it looks in there, all deep sea teal carpet, wooden art, wooden screens– although it is nice to see the local art at Haiku!

took your suggestion and went last Saturday. it was really good, thanks!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    So now I usually stick to Akai Hana.
    Then again, I would live at Akai Hana if that were possible. I love how it looks in there, all deep sea teal carpet, wooden art, wooden screens– although it is nice to see the local art at Haiku!

took your suggestion and went last Saturday. it was really good, thanks!

Nooo problem. Glad you liked it!

Boyd

Went to Haiku for the first time last weekend and really liked it.

Although, I think I’ve had some of the freshest tasting fish at Kobe (across Morse Road from Easton Mall).

Hael

Hael wrote >>
    So if Kooma is for rubes, where do Sushi elite go? Or is it a well kept secret? And don’t say Nida’s, cause while their Thai offerings are super, the sushi I had there was just meh.

I have to retract my statement about Nida’s sushi being average. I tried it again on Saturday. The Thai Roll and the Double Spicy Tuna Roll were fantastic. Especially the Thai Roll. I’m cravin it.

enzo
    Participant

Beluga Sushi in Hyde Park Cincinnati for the best in the State of Ohio. Hands Down.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE