Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kooma - General disappointment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kooma – General disappointment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    disclaimer wrote:
    warning: this review contains personal comments and the experiences of the writer. Content may or not be valuable to you or even what you would put in a review.

In the search for a Japanese sushi place near central Columbus we were directed to Kooma. A small place across from the North Market.

We arrived around 7:00 and were promptly seated in a mostly full place. On the way in we passed a DJ hunched over two turntables who seemed to be crammed into the spot where a coat rack belonged.

They placed us in the back booth which was good for viewing the entire place. After getting the menus we ordered green tea (love the earthy taste of good green tea). The waitress said there were some special rolls. Instead of telling us what they were she announced that we would most likely not remember them because they had so many ingredients and left us with a list of special rolls scrawled upon a dirty scrap of paper.

The menu had various dishes from Korean to Japanese to American, but since we came for the sushi, we ordered the special, which included the Kooma roll and a few custom rolls. (Although the waitress may have felt our memory was not good enough to remember three rolls, her handwriting was worse and we could not make out all the words on the specials.)

Our green tea arrived in two cups of fairly warm water with tea bags floating on the top. While we waited for the sushi we looked around. The place was mostly filled with young couples except for one table of four women. The music was the standard background mix that I had heard about 10 years ago in a hair salon. (For a place that claimed to have a mix of good food and music, we hoped the food would be fresher.)

The food arrived about 20 minutes later and was presented nicely on custom plates. The sushi was unremarkable. In some cases it was obvious that the fish had fallen below freezing temperature (a hard feat not to avoid in the middle of the US.) The Kooma roll was completely fair, which was surprising for a signature roll. We found the mysteriously named Rocky #2 roll to be the best of the bunch. It had a nice sauce which seemed to be a combination of lemon zest, ponzu and jalapeno.

[tangent:] A small pet peeve of mine is having my chop stick rest whisked away as trash. After removing the wrapper of the chop sticks I fold it into a neat little tent to rest my chop sticks on so as not to just drop them on the table. My skill in this is immature at best. I remember in Tokyo how the young ladies I used to eat with could take that discarded piece of paper and effortless fold it into various animals and items. Much like the detective in Blade Runner [/tangent :]

The food was fair, at best. The music old and would be best replaced with a few CDs of popular Japanese music. Even Yumi Matsutoya J-Pop would be an improvement. The decorating OK, but I still felt like the bottom level of a parking garage. And what is with the zebra, rhino and lion heads on the walls? The food was nicely presented but unremarkable and decidedly not fresh. The service was poor.

I’d give it a 2 out of 5

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Never been a fan of the food at kooma. The service there has been horrible the times I’ve been as well, so I just don’t bother anymore.

Mercurius
    Participant

If I was staying downtown Kooma was OK. Wouldn’t put it in my top five. Now that there is Nida’s in the Short North, don’t think I’ll ever be going to Kooma again.

pixlfarmer

I’ve never had a bad experience there. I’m no sushi critic, but I’ve always been pleased. Sounds like you had a pretty terrible server.

lifeliberty
    Participant

went last Saturday at 5pm. Service was great, sushi was great, dumpling soup was really freakin great, as was the shrimp dumpling app. B and I loved the place. As far as service goes, we didn’t want for anything, neither were we hurried. it was actually some of the best service we’ve recieved in Columbus in a long time.

The African art in a Japanese joint was a bit off, but wth, you can’t have everything. There was no DJ at the time, Dj doesn’t start til 7.

vespamary
    Participant

The Rocky #2 roll is only mysteriously named if you don’t know that the Chef’s name….is Rocky!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I haven’t been in years, and I’ve never had sushi, but the dishes we had were always good.

I’ve actually DJed there myself too, probably 5 years ago, but it’s definitely not a space for blasting the hot new tracks. Deep, mellow, laidback, and usually lyricless music is the way to go, and to the casual listener it shouldn’t really be attention grabbing. Mood music.

shroud
    Participant

I’ve always been very happy with Kooma, though I honestly don’t think I’ve ever managed to be there while a DJ is going live. We tend to eat early dinners, so that means less crowds & not much entertainment.

But it works great b/c their non-sushi menu has a lot of good options for my non-sushi-eating wife, and the sushi menu is pretty good for me. Recently fallen out of my personal Top 5 sushi joints in town, but definitely still in the top 10.

Paul
    Participant

… But was there “a small embarrassment as we were recognized and the price of the dinner was comped”????

It’s tidbits of info like that which really make or break a review.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

It’s the small embarrassments that make life worthwhile.

WHO IS FROZEN TWINKIE

Manatee wrote >>
    WHO IS FROZEN TWINKIE

http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

Ndcent

frozen twinkies wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    WHO IS FROZEN TWINKIE

Thank you for answering perhaps one of maybe two people who give a shit who you are.

Cookie

Ndcent wrote >>

frozen twinkies wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    WHO IS FROZEN TWINKIE

Thank you for answering perhaps one of maybe two people who give a shit who you are.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s that guy from Chicago, but I can’t be counted among those who give a shit.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Well, I might give a shit if he had actually answered me. I guess we’ll get to avoid that small embarrassment.

joev
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Ndcent wrote >>

frozen twinkies wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    WHO IS FROZEN TWINKIE

I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s that guy from Chicago, but I can’t be counted among those who give a shit.

Aren’t twinkies toxic to foofy little dogs that are forced to wear clothes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE