Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kitchen Little in the North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kitchen Little in the North Market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to eat, not only in the North Market, but Columbus. Everything I have ever eaten here has been absolutely amazing; and the fact that it’s all made with fresh, local Ohio ingredients makes it even more tantalizing. The operator, Dan, is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever had the pleasure talking with – you can tell he takes pride in his food, but is so down to earth and will talk you through anything you may not understand. If you haven’t tried his duck-fat fried potatoes, you’re missing out!

Just a side-note, Rick Bayless liked his cassoulet enough to give him a shout-out on his Twitter the other day.

Bear
    Participant

Go-to lunch spot in the North Market and a hidden gem in the Short North. Agreed on all counts.

I had no idea…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Holy Crap, how did I never hear of this place?

Here is their menu from the Alive!

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Holy Crap, how did I never hear of this place?
    Here is their menu from the Alive!

One of my guilty pleasures was his chicken and waffles noted in this article. However, today, he recommended his chicken and French toast, which I tried and think I like even more…

patient_zero
    Participant

Great little video here by Mary Martineau.

Kitchen Little is so much smaller than its raw poultry and game sections of North Market Poultry and Game, that it’s easy to miss, but vigilance pays off!

Bear is a big fan of their local and sustainable offerings, and Kitchen Little has been garnering great praise though it’s only been mentioned in a few threads here and there. A full review is in order here! Their menu is a bit more varied than what was listed on the Alive article, sometimes offering some unique specials. Kitchen Little is a hidden gem.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I like following them on twitter @KitchenLittleOh to hear the specials.
    I enjoy the fiesta fridays and the cassoulet (as Mr Bayless said) is really good.
    They also do bison burger thursdays, $5 for a made to order 1/3lb bison burger.

Bear
    Participant

Y’know, it’s funny, I’d actually considered writing up a review myself, but the thing that held me back is the fact that I have a bit of a hard time keeping track of what they offer. The menu on the chalkboard doesn’t always, or even usually, correspond to what’s in the case (which is understandable, because the chalkboard is pretty high up there and looks to be a pain to change, but the menu seems to change pretty often). But it doesn’t much matter, because it’s all really good. If you’re ever having an argument with somebody who doesn’t believe that sustainably-raised food tastes better, bring them here. I started seeking them out after I heard they’d won one or two of the Market’s cooking competitions, and I’ve never looked back — there’s some serious talent in that little kitchen.

tourist19
    Participant

I crave that cassoulet. It’s really hard for me to order anything else because I know how amazing that is!

DavidF
    Participant

Duck Fries. Tried to get them the last time I was there, but they were out of potatoes. I want.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

Yesterday Dan had some menus out; we got one before they disappeared and I scanned it. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzWrbpVu52uiZmUxOWIzZDItY2Y5Zi00MzBjLTkzMzMtMzNlZDZlYzBhYWFi&hl=en

Dan

Hi All! Thanks so much for your support. We at Kitchen Little really appreciate all the kind words and are glad that you enjoy the food as much as we do.

True, our menu changes quite often (and if you’ll check the scanned menu (thanks jarsloth)), it states at the top that it’s already outdated (which is kind of a running joke between Jerry and I). One purpose of Kitchen Little is to showcase the fresh and local meat that we sell around the corner at NMPG. Our menu changes often as our seasonal supply of fresh meats tends to vary. We do strive for consistency but, due to our setup, that’s not always possible.

Another factor is that each of us that cook there have a distinct personality that is represented in the dishes that we make. Jerry does much of the hearty stews, Annamarie does the Fiesta Fridays, and I do all the oven roasting and “Americana” type stuff. That’s the great thing about being there. The only guidelines are what ingredients are available. We do all local, well raised and free range meat and (in season) veggies. We’re honored to use the beautifully hued Snowville cream in our dishes (I’d like to paint my walls with that stuff!) and organic amish veggies when we can.

I try to keep up with the Twitter account (KitchenLittleOh) but it’s hard for even me as sometimes I don’t know what’s for Fiesta Friday until its close to lunch time and I have no time to Tweet between cooking and serving. I will make every effort to make things more consistent.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks again for all the support. We really do love good food as much as you do.

Dan
    Kitchen Little

Rastapasta

You can setup it up so you can tweet with just a quick text message from your phone.

What are prices like? I am looking forward to come checking this place out!

Dan

Rastapasta wrote >>
    You can setup it up so you can tweet with just a quick text message from your phone.
    What are prices like? I am looking forward to come checking this place out!

That sounds easy enough but when we get down to the nitty gritty right before lunch, I don’t have the time (I try though).

In most cases, a “meat and two” average at about $8 (price varies dependent upon dish/ingredients). Jarsloth kindly scanned and posted one of our “already out-dated” menus above.

Oh, and for the record, we (Kitchen Little, not North Market Poultry & Game) are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I love the fact that the menu changes and responds to what’s available. Sure it’s nice to see old favorites but it’s also nice to try new things and have surprises too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.