Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kingsdale Shopping Center — Development News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Kingsdale Shopping Center — Development News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d argue that the Giant Eagle on 5th closing was why Rife’s closed. Rife’s fed off of the foot traffic. Sorta like that smaller computer store next to Micro Center or the shop that sells Taiwanese bikes next to Iron Pony. They compliment each other.

Exactly. Giant Eagle’s decision to expand and relocate to Third, which I’d say is a part of these urban grocery “turf wars” put a big hurt on Rife’s. They still fell victim to it.

A new Kroger is going to hurt Huffman’s. Hopefully the community will continue to support them enough.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Huffman’s has such loyal customers though. I can’t imagine families not shopping there. Even if to just pick up a few small things.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Huffman’s has such loyal customers though. I can’t imagine families not shopping there. Even if to just pick up a few small things.

I’ve heard from multiple small market operators who have said that any time a large new store opens within a short proximity, customer traffic drops significantly upon the store’s opening and slowly rebuilds over the course of the following year. There’s a lot of “curiosity” customers to the new store at first, and many will commit to buying more at the new stores because they have more modern amenities, full service options, and a wider selection of products. I heard from former staff at Hill’s Market in Worthington that they had this problem when the Whole Foods Dublin opened years ago. They even lost a lot of staff to that new store.

So the question for Huffman’s (and any other small grocery these days) is not whether or not the die-hard customers will continue to shop, but whether or not the store can sustain itself with a 10-20-30% drop in sales for 6 to 12 months.

Sales margins in grocery retail are not huge, IIRC.

Rahburts
    Participant

I think they would close the Kroger on Olentangy River Road/Ackerman before closing the Henderson location. I havent been in years but the Olentangy River Road location was in desperate need of a renovation.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I havent been in years but the Olentangy River Road location was in desperate need of a renovation.

I haven’t been to that one in a long time either… I have to imagine that a lot of the student demographic has shifted in recent years to either the Short North Kroger or the renovated Giant Eagle in Clintonville.

nohio
    Participant

The Olentangy River Road Store should have been closed long ago as it has never been maintained, stocked with groceries and staff properly in decades. The physical condition of it is appalling and rivals the old Krogers near the University in the 1970s and 1980s between Summit and Indianola in spoiled food, filthy floors and a dairy and vegetable section you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. Krogers has never respected or understood the clientele in the University Village area. There are still a number of graduate, undergraduate and professional students who live in the area and always will -especially international students – whose economic clout is underestimated- all you have to do is check out the year and make of the luxury automobiles in the apt complexes around the area. That store on Olentangy- Krogers has never served the needs of that population well -except to offer horrible service, higher prices and a very limited selection and variety of foods but Krogers going into Kingsdale right next to the Marketplace Giant Eagle is not a good idea- it is unneeded there and will hurt Huffmans which is unfortunate.

Graybeak
    Participant

That Kroger on Olentangy does have the biggest darn vending machine I have ever seen!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Graybeak
    Participant

That Kroger on Olentangy does have the biggest darn vending machine I have ever seen!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

News
    Participant

City, Kroger hold ‘very preliminary’ talks on property
    By NATE ELLIS
    Wednesday February 4, 2015

Both sides said it’s too soon for details, but Upper Arlington city and Kroger representatives met last week to discuss the company’s plans for its recently acquired Kingsdale Center property. The Jan. 29 meeting occurred just days after Upper Arlington City Council members expressed frustration at being among the last to know Kroger had purchased the Macy’s site from Federated Department Stores Inc.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/upperarlington/news/2015/02/03/no-details-on-plans-for-kingsdale-site-city-kroger-hold-very-preliminary-talks-on-property.html

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I think they would close the Kroger on Olentangy River Road/Ackerman before closing the Henderson location. I havent been in years but the Olentangy River Road location was in desperate need of a renovation.

That is a possibility. FWIW they did fix it up a bit a couple years ago so it’s not as much of a dump as it was in the mid 2000s.

The store does have a very captive audience though, as many folks living in Buckeye Village or University Village don’t own a car, so this is it as far as groceries within walking distance.

Big Drew
    Participant

The store does have a very captive audience though, as many folks living in Buckeye Village or University Village don’t own a car, so this is it as far as groceries within walking distance.

Except for the Kroger that is literally in front and next to both those locations, unless that location is closing down, which I haven’t seen anything on.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

OneBagTravel
    Participant

This morning in the Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/05/28/kroger-sues-giant-eagle-in-kingsdale-dispute.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Ballsy of them to open right next to that huge Market District. Might as well get Carfagna’s back into where Barnes and Noble is.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

This irks me to no end. I never understood the point of opening a grocery store right next door to another grocery store. Some say it makes for better competition but I think that’s a load of bull. How many people are going to spend the time standing in two lines to save a dollar? And you know damn well most will get back in their cars to drive across the parking lot for a closer spot because they are too lazy to walk the short distance.

Grocery stores should be dispersed throughout the community to create equal access to as many as possible. I think apartments would be appropriate here – target the Giant Eagle as a neighborhood anchor for which everything else should redevelop around. UA is severely lacking in housing, particularly on the affordable side. The city missed an opportunity to do something really special with Kingsdale. It should have been UA’s “downtown”. Here is a chance to make up for that, if even only a little bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.