Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kids eat for FREE site

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kids eat for FREE site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

logo.jpg

A local mom started a website that lists restaurants with “free kid” dining. When you visit the site click on kidsdealsdays and it will list the restaurants and the days of the week the special is offered. Clicking on the individual restaurant will display all the details and stipulations, if any. I saw this on NBC this morning.

http://www.kidseatout.com/index.php?option=com_thyme&Itemid=61

Aunt Madge

This indeed does have value, especially for those of us long past the child rearing years … before going to a restaurant I can check it out on this site first and if they have such specials it will allow me to quickly change my plans and go elsewhere to a more quiet and relaxing fare. Nothing is more disconcerting than a restaurant dining room full of screaming brats … if only parents used the kind of discipline nowadays that we had used on us before the advent of Childrens Services.

misskitty
    Participant

It’s nice to have a list of places that due this.
    It’s a shame we have moved away from the kids meal but my son was tired of the same old things. Chicken Fingers, Pizza, Hamburger so boring.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Aunt Madge wrote >>
    I can check it out on this site first and if they have such specials it will allow me to quickly change my plans and go elsewhere to a more quiet and relaxing fare.

There are no age limits for loud annoying people. You act as if you’ve never seen a well behaved child or a misbehaving adult. That’s ridiculous.

I can appreciate that Patient Zero started this thread for a very specific reason. How about letting people discuss it for what it’s worth instead of making this topic all about yourself?

Wow, what a valuable resource! Thanks to whoever posted this. It’s really nice when restaurants consider diners with children. I’m glad to hear about the ZPizza option. Love that place :)

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Awesome! I’ll definitely be using this resource. Thanks PZ!

patient_zero
    Participant

When I watched that news clip, I thought immediately of Walker and Anne, and the rest of the childbearing CU community. I tip my hat at you all.

If this help$ anyone out, so much the better. Aunt Madge has found another use for the site as well – that didn’t even cross my mind.

I imagine you can send the moderator new information as well, as you make new discoveries at other restaurants.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You know… I just got around to really looking at this list, and I have to say that I’m a little disappointed.

Spaghetti Warehouse is fine from time to time, and I loves me some zpizza, but there’s not a whole lot else on there that’s too appealing to me. I wouldn’t even go to “adults eat free” night at Ponderosa. ;)

Would be nice to have some more local/independent options on the list.

patient_zero
    Participant

Dawn has started a site that has great potential, but could a little CU love when it comes to local/independent dining options. Some of you have a unique perspective of not just dining with kids, but also exploring options outside of the corporate shell. If anyone has alternative dining suggestions, I’d encourage a few emails to Dawn in Dublin.

[email protected]

I’d like to see a separate category of cheap eats as well, although not necessarily free. A hotdog and tots at Dirty Franks is a mere $5, and it’s a local business with an appealing interior.

A healthy smattering of international restaurants would be welcomed as well. Again, maybe not free, but inexpensive options that fit mom and dad’s budget.

dawn

Dawn here…. :)

I just discovered this discussion going on about my site and loved reading all the comments. I agree with (almost!) all of them.

I would LOVE to have more local, ‘outside the corporate shell’ options for families to get discounted or free meals – but are there more out there that I missed? I am pretty sure there have to be some – Please let me know!!

There are great local places that do offer a break to families around here like The Lost Shepherd, Johnny Buccelli’s, El Vaquero, Villa Nova, Village Tavern in Powell, Zpizza, and Gooseneck Tavern to name a few. Champps, BW3’s, Max&Erma’s, and Hoggy’s may be chains, but I like ’em and am glad they want family business enough to offer us discounts!

If you check out the ‘Reviews’ section, you will see more of the local places reviewed from a mom’s point of view. No ‘deals’ but some mention of prices and offerings.

Oh, and patient_zero – I would love to see a cheap eats section also – hopefully I will get there someday. :) (I have reviewed a few happy hour places that offer great deals on eats in the MomsEatToo section.)

Thanks everybody!

patient_zero
    Participant

Welcome to CU Dawn! I was going to send you an email next week when it really slows down at work, so I’m glad you found this thread.

Dining out as a kid was special time for me, as it was a family custom on weekends and during the holidays. I wasn’t picky and would have been as happy with a cheeseburger as I would have a petite prime rib. I’m sure it would have been easier on my dad’s wallet if we had more free or reduced cost dining options then, but I think there are more resources today with the internet in terms of plotting out meal selections that fit a family budget.

I look forward to some great modifications to your site, and I hope the CU community provides you with some helpful information to assist you in making your site even better than it already is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

dawn wrote >>
    I would LOVE to have more local, ‘outside the corporate shell’ options for families to get discounted or free meals – but are there more out there that I missed? I am pretty sure there have to be some – Please let me know!!

Hi Dawn! Thanks for taking the time to log in and reply! My comment wasn’t meant to be a slight to your list, as I’m fully aware that you can only list the places that offer discounts, and I think that many places just don’t do it.

Personally, I have a two-year-old, so he hasn’t quite hit the age where we order things for him yet. We just dined at Tip Top last night, and my wife and I both ordered entrees, and our server brought us out an extra plate so that we could share with him. So while it might not be advertised as a specific “kids eat free” deal, we didn’t have to pay extra for him to eat with us. I’ve found that just about every local/independent restaurant is plenty accommodating as far as this goes.

Of course, it will be a completely different story in another year or so when he starts demanding his own meal. ;) I’m still willing to bet that a place like Tip Top would be more than happy to serve him a half-order of a dish like their mac and cheese, so I’m sure we’ll keep basing our dining choices based around things like that.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

dawn

Thanks to you both, patient_zero and Walker, for your responses and insights. My dream is for this to be the go-to site for families in Columbus who eat out. It’s a work in progress and any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome!

I want to send a little love to CU. I got more hits from your post than I did from the 3 airings of the NBC4 story on TV! I hope to pay back the CU community by making KidsEatOut a useful tool for them.

I also wanted to let you know that I just got an email from a great locally owned restaurant (I’ll write back with all the info when it’s a done deal) that saw the site and wants to start a kids eat free day to give back to the community. Here’s hoping more will have the same idea!

saganama

Dawn,
    I’m surprised you don’t mention Aladdin’s Eatery. Their Bexley location offers “Kids Eat Free” on Sundays and I believe their other locations do as well.

Great website! Thanks.

saganama wrote >>
    Dawn,
    I’m surprised you don’t mention Aladdin’s Eatery. Their Bexley location offers “Kids Eat Free” on Sundays and I believe their other locations do as well.

Really? Now that is cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE