Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kids in Restaurants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kids in Restaurants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

It’s not always about you. If your kids aren’t disruptive jerks, no one is asking you to not let them out of their cages. I really don’t think it’s about childless v parents. It’s people paying to have an experience v assholes ruining said experience – whether they are 8 months, 8 years, or 8 decades old.

Twixlen
    Participant

I confronted a lady in a grocery store once. I can’t believe how she was treating her child, right there in the dairy section. I couldn’t stand it. I still think about what that poor kid’s life must have been like.

And yeah – for some folks, they’ll never believe that some of us live fulfilled and happy lives, without the desire to birth our own chillin’s. I enjoy other folk’s kids plenty – that doesn’t mean I harbor any great desire to have my own.

I’m happy to report the baby has joined us for dinner at Rigsby’s, Sage, and Haiku. She’s been nice enough to sleep through almost every outing, so we’ll see how it goes as we get older.

AmyD
    Participant

a little off topic but, as a parent, it really chaps my ass when i’m invited to a no-kids event and get a babysitter and someone brings their kid. i mean, an event where it’s stated that kids aren’t invited. i can rarely go to something like that anyhow.

JoeMitchell

manticore33 wrote >>
    And, as a snide theory, I truly believe that everybody secretly wants children. They just have not met the right person with whom they are willing to have children.

I like to call it porking. Humans have been porking to the top of the food chain for a long time, we are good at it.

Everyone’s bio clock is different but at a certain point I think everyone wants to reproduce, apprehension of the responsibility scares some away.

The DINK lifestyle is great, we loved it, but then one day/night bam, she wanted babies, so we make a baby. Looking back I wish we started sooner and I want as many as possible, right now at least, I reserve the right to have a change of heart.

Cookie

JoeMitchell wrote >>
    Everyone’s bio clock is different but at a certain point I think everyone wants to reproduce, apprehension of the responsibility scares some away.

I like to call it projection.

berdawn

JoeMitchell wrote >>

manticore33 wrote >>
    And, as a snide theory, I truly believe that everybody secretly wants children. They just have not met the right person with whom they are willing to have children.

right…not the fact that we live on a planet with limited resources

or that one does not find children enjoyable

or that :just getting by” isn’t an ideal financial environment for a child

or maybe, just maybe, the fact that 10,000 children die every day of diarrhea…your genes are aren’t all that special.

“apprehension of responsibility” just trumps the fuck out of all of those.

berdawn

manticore33 wrote >>
    Yes, I have two children, but the aggregate contribution of my wife and I, plus our children, will far outweigh the contribution of a single human being. The norm is to have children.
    So, my sincerest apology for being too normal.

The norm refers to what is common or frequent. For example, for Christian Americans, celebrating Christmas is the norm.

Normal is opposed to abnormal. Even though celebrating Christmas is the norm, it is not abnormal to celebrate Hanukkah. To celebrate Hanukkah is perfectly normal.

In contrast to both of these, normative refers to a morally-endorsed ideal. Americans may think that you should celebrate the Fourth of July because it is patriotic to do so. Celebrating U.S. Independence may be both the norm and normative in the U.S. Many things that are not the norm are nonetheless normative. For example, a nuclear family with a married man and woman and their biological children is normative in the U.S., but it is certainly not the norm.

ETA: I will be delighted if you and your family actually contribute more than one single individual, but that is quite unlikely. It is much more “normal” that you have simply doubled your consumption.

SusanB
    Participant

[quote]right…not the fact that we live on a planet with limited resources

or that one does not find children enjoyable

or that :just getting by” isn’t an ideal financial environment for a child

or maybe, just maybe, the fact that 10,000 children die every day of diarrhea…your genes are aren’t all that special.

“apprehension of responsibility” just trumps the fuck out of all of those. [/quote]

+1000

Oak
    Participant

Sorry to be tardy to the party – but I wanted to throw in my two-cents. I’m childless and want to remain so and I don’t dislike children so much as I only like them in very small doses. That includes my own nieces and nephews. My sister has 3 differnt kids by 3 different men (stay classy Erin) so avoid people thinking that I’m “apprehensive of the responsibility” I’ve decided to be the Dad figure for them rather than spread my seed far and wide.
    But I digress…let me talk about kids in restaurants. I’m 110% for kids whose parents have taught them to behave and can eat in a restaurant with the rest of us. Kudos to those parents and hats off to your skills. However, I am not above telling parents who allow their kids to (insert annoying behavior here)at a restaurant that their kids behavior is inappropriate and to rectify the situation. Yes – I am that guy. I want to spend my money and enjoy my meal without the background white noise of crying/screaming/misbehaving children.
    Ever see that Family Guy episode where Brian yells at the kid in the Denny’s? That’s me. In spades. Well almost.
    All of my friends and fraternity brothers whom I still socialize with are now reproducing and invite me to social gatherings at their suburban homes. I ask them if this is a kid free event – if they say no – I decline the invitation. It chaps my ass as well when I was told that an event was kid-free and then someone brings theirs and then expects me to watch my language/topic of conversation, etc.
    With all of that said – my nephew is now 14, almost 15 and I love taking him out to restaurants where he can try new foods and he enjoys the time with me just as much. I started doing this when he was fairly young and it turned out great. He has a rich culinary and cultural palate.

enzo
    Participant

Not just restaraunts….the other evening I was with my son and his pals at a Clippers game sitting in front of a man with 2 children who were clearly not getting their needs met. The father was SO loud and SO irritating with his failed attempts to soothe the children (6 year olds)….they were kicking me and my son and his friends loosing shoes the dad was poking me in my back asking me to get things because he could not control his children. He was not doing a good job managing his expectations of these young kids at a SCORCHING hot baseball game. Sometimes it is a situation of forcing your will over your child and the path of least resistance is often best for all concerned…..the guy was not listening to them…they were roasting hot and miserable…..he was pushing them beyond their tolerance levels because he was selfish or lazy or clueless they bothered everyone. I do not fault the children as they are the responsiblity of the parent always. I feel like if my son does not operate with age appropriate behavior and respect to himself and the world around him it is my fault for not teaching him. I give people with kids having meltdowns a 5-10 minute window to settle them or relocate. In this situation at the game, we moved because that dad was completely out of touch with reality.

JoeMitchell

berdawn wrote >>

JoeMitchell wrote >>

manticore33 wrote >>

“right…not the fact that we live on a planet with limited resources”

the overpopulation argument, analytically yes I understand, emotionally it does not equate, I would not want to deny myself what I consider a basic human right in order to save the planet

“or that one does not find children enjoyable”

others maybe, but when they are your own patience grows, my family is by far the best part of my life, they make me laugh a lot, the other day my two year old told grandma to stop screwing around while she was making lunch

“or that :just getting by” isn’t an ideal financial environment for a child”

scared of not having the financial resources to provide, this was a big obstacle for me to overcome personally

“or maybe, just maybe, the fact that 10,000 children die every day of diarrhea…”

adopt one, you are lucky enough to be living in the US, give others the same chance

“your genes are aren’t all that special.”

Have we met? you are correct I am average, but the voices tell me otherwise

“apprehension of responsibility” just trumps the fuck out of all of those,”

glad we can agree

manticore33
    Participant

Oh, and about resources? My children are and were cloth diapered and breast fed. Likewise, as a family of four, we maybe throw one complete bag of trash out a week and two half bins of recyclables (paper/cardboard, plastic/metal). Honestly, having children has made my family more resourceful by sourcing more second hand/used, reselling old/under used items, planting a large garden, and reducing food waste.

And for responsibility? I was 26 when I had my first child. I am a college graduate with a graduate master’s degree. Before my first daughter was born, my wife (she is also a college graduate) and I were married, owned a home, outright own all my cars (3 currently), and I had a good paying full-time job with medical insurance.

What happens in the rest of the world is sad and truly disturbs and upsets me.

This need not be a right to do/not to do discussion. I appreciate both sides of the argument and ultimately decided to have children. Yes, at some point my children will give back whether it is through their own life works, or even to take care of me when I become old and frail.

Still, I am left to wonder, should I apologize for procreating?

berdawn

manticore33 wrote >>

Still, I am left to wonder, should I apologize for procreating?

no, but to say that others have not because they “haven’t met the right person” is utter crap.

manticore33
    Participant

Oh, hahahahahaha. That statement was meant to be preposterous! I harass my childless by choice friend about it (as I stated in a subsequent post). I honestly to not feel that way! :)

Back to children in restaurants…!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.