Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kids in Restaurants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kids in Restaurants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)
  • Author

Klablut

Core_Models wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    I love the St. James Tavern, but if I took a kid in there, I’d expect Lew to punch me in the taint:) I’d expect the same if I even considered stepping foot in a Chucky Cheese!

I’m not sure who’d punch ya first, me or Michelle. :)
    However, I did spend the end of a long evening in there distributing my children’s chewable circus animal vitamins to patrons of the SJT. What’s even weirder is I think nearly everyone accepted them and ate em.

They didn’t think they were vitamins…and they want their money back.

So fucking funny, Did you post this after you were taking pix of pre-teens or before?

stinkybomb
    Participant

For all the baby haters, I am going to train my 2 year old and fetus in waiting to find each and every one of you and throw food while screaming in yo’ face!. For the record I hate babies too, see we have more in common than you think.

Seriously, we have a pretty decent kid who learns table manners at the house. She can’t leave the table until we are done eating or is given permission. She’s getting more defiant at 2 years of age but it has helped our going out around town dining experiences, as well as anyone who had the torture of sitting next to us.
    We play the dine in early game and get the hell out of anywhere as quickly as we can. We also extra tip the wait staff as the floor is a nightmare, from crumbs and what ever other food has fallen from mouth to floor.

Also who wants to eat at chucky cheese? Just because I have a child I’m forced to lower my eating standards for over priced games and urine stained ball pits? There are enough pee smelling bars in town so why don’t you stay there while I take my kid out to dinner with the grown up, plus 1 child.

KSquared

roy wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>

AmyD wrote >>
    don’t let ksquared fool you! her kid’s an asshole but in the way you like your best friend to be. she’s a teenager,and not showing it in the typical teenager way, so i love it.
    and ksquared don’t tell your kid i called her an asshole. or do. she’ll take it like the compliment it’s meant to be.

Oh she prides herself on being a complete jerk, in the best possible way. And I’ll add not to be fooled by your post either, your kids have been perfectly behaved every time I’ve been out with them. I just hope to god they don’t pick up your bad habits ;)

I heard KSquared’s kid is running with a badass crowd downtown.

She is! I shudder to think of what she’ll become ;)

KSquared

stinkybomb wrote >>
    Also who wants to eat at chucky cheese? Just because I have a child I’m forced to lower my eating standards for over priced games and urine stained ball pits? There are enough pee smelling bars in town so why don’t you stay there while I take my kid out to dinner with the grown up, plus 1 child.

Chuck E Cheese is every parent’s worst nightmare. Ha ha, urine stained ball pit, that is so true, I used to tell B how dirty it was so she wouldn’t want to go. It’s rotavirus waiting to happen.
    For the record, anyone who makes awesomely creepy baby doll head soap is A-OK in my book and I bet your kids will be cool too.

manticore33
    Participant

This is another amusing discussion (too hot to go play outside or what? We have to e-debate ourselves for entertainment?).

Really, the point I would like to make, if you are posting on this board, guess what, you started life as a child. You ate dirt, smeared food across your face, screamed, and were generally annoying during a segment of your life (unless CU is really a cult of high-tech robots).

All societies value children because without offspring a society will collapse. Most people have children, so it makes sense most restaurants will accommodate children (yes, majority rules, and note that tax code generally favors families too). And when did we forget compromise? Yes, children will misbehave because they are learning. Likewise, when we were ordained with adulthood by virtue of age, were you automatically perfect?

However, I think the larger issue is the “ME, ME, ME” complex. Both as parents and non-parents we need to conduct ourselves to be respectful and minimize our negative impact of others. For instance, adults can be equally annoying if not downright more DISRUPTIVE than children. Likewise, with younger children, it is not the child’s fault. Children have to be taught, trained, and conditioned to behave in certain manners. If you are near an annoying table, mention it. You are allowed to advocate appropriate behavior (how do I know I am doing something wrong, or might be wrong if you don’t tell me?).

I have sat through the anti-children discussions from my childless friend. Yes, I have two children, but the aggregate contribution of my wife and I, plus our children, will far outweigh the contribution of a single human being. The norm is to have children.

So, my sincerest apology for being too normal.

And, as a snide theory, I truly believe that everybody secretly wants children. They just have not met the right person with whom they are willing to have children.

TaraK
    Participant

I can’t imagine what it’s like to have kids and to have to consider them in every decision. I understand that many parents can only afford dinner out OR a babysitter, not both. I’m only bothered by kids when they’re at pricier (think “date night” restaurants). I.e. If the folks there are dropping considerable cash on the meal and drinks and this is possibly a “special occasion” dining spot, kids can ruin that for everyone. Even of they’re firmly seated, their squeals and their parents goo-goo talking them can detract. Otherwise, though, I don’t see them as ever being an issue.

somertimeoh
    Participant

The problem is, I can tell another adult to STFU if they are being inappropriate. At the least, I think most establishments have some criteria for asking people to leave if they are being too disruptive. But seriously, when is the last time a parent was asked to to remove their asshole kid from a place? How well would that go over? Everyone is expected to put up with bad kid behavior for the reasons you and everyone else has mentioned, but then isn’t allowed to be a little resentful about it.

KSquared

somertimeoh wrote >>
    The problem is, I can tell another adult to STFU if they are being inappropriate. At the least, I think most establishments have some criteria for asking people to leave if they are being too disruptive. But seriously, when is the last time a parent was asked to to remove their asshole kid from a place? How well would that go over? Everyone is expected to put up with bad kid behavior for the reasons you and everyone else has mentioned, but then isn’t allowed to be a little resentful about it.

There is a very strong social more against saying anything about how parents treat/raise their children or the behavior of said children.

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

Nothing wrong with normal, have kids if you want. I personally don’t fit the “secretly wants children” theory. I’ve never wanted children alone or with someone else. I think society will do just fine if I don’t contribute my spawn;)

cc

I have not seen too much of this issue here, but when I lived in NYC I have several memories of other diners (or wait staff) asking offending tables to ‘please control your children’, in which case the embarassed parties took action.

Cookie

manticore33 wrote >>
    And, as a snide theory, I truly believe that everybody secretly wants children. They just have not met the right person with whom they are willing to have children.

I hope I keep my streak going.

rus
    rus
    Participant

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    Nothing wrong with normal, have kids if you want. I personally don’t fit the “secretly wants children” theory. I’ve never wanted children alone or with someone else. I think society will do just fine if I don’t contribute my spawn;)

With ya there.

TaraK
    Participant

manticore33 wrote >>

Sure. And, as snide theory, I tend to believe that everyone who has children really just wanted a) a tax break and b) to maintain their social status, thus accessorizing their lives with the appropriate offspring and accessorizing their offspring with baby GAP.

(Srsly, though — I don’t think that. I’m glad folks who want babies make babies, otherwise I wouldn’t have my own very awesome mother.)

I know plenty of folks in committed relationships (self included) who don’t want to make teh babiez. Many of them enjoy their life as it is; they want to keep it that way. They don’t have a desire to be a parent. And it just so happens that many of them are kind, loving aunts, uncles, and mentors to kiddos in life. (Others, like me, are just surly and avoid little ones until they reach the age where you can curse around them.)

manticore33
    Participant

I told you it was a snide theory! I came up with it to ruffle some of my friend feathers, and it seemed appropriate to communicate it on this thread today! :D

Actually, I respect couples without children.

With my second daughter, it was total tax win. She was born on December 31, 2008. :)

My wife and I started out not wanting children, then changed to if it happens, to having two beautiful girls that I would not trade for the world.

I truly understand both sides of the equation.

Edit: My Aunt and Uncle are both childless and have a wonderfully fulfilled and enriched life. And to add, they are doing better than my other Uncle who has three children and has been divorced three times. Which, as a child and learning about relationships, showed me that not having children is potentially better for your relationship. Again, this was reaffirmed by my parents divorcing when I was 18.

However, as challenging as it has been, I think children can also enhance your marriage. But one must maintain the importance of the marriage and that bond is the center of the family, not the children. And marriage in my above statement can be replaced with relationship.

And, *sigh*, I write too much and added too much.

stinkybomb
    Participant

Chuck E Cheese is every parent’s worst nightmare. Ha ha, urine stained ball pit, that is so true, I used to tell B how dirty it was so she wouldn’t want to go. It’s rotavirus waiting to happen.
    For the record, anyone who makes awesomely creepy baby doll head soap is A-OK in my book and I bet your kids will be cool too.[quote]

anyone with boondock saints avatar, original not sequal, is A-Ok in my book.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: