Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kids in Restaurants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Kids in Restaurants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • Author

JoeMitchell

SJT wrote >>
    Seems to me alot of this can be solved with a little common sense and courteousy. After walking into a space like Rigsby’s or Burgundy Room the environment speaks for itself. The first thing that comes to my mind isn’t, “I should go grab my 3 year old niece- she would LOVE this place”. :) Seriously. I mean Chucky Cheese serves beer, but do you see 21 year old college kids flocking there to get effed up& if they did wouldn’t THAT be considered inappropriate?? I love kids& I don’t see why thinking they probably don’t belong in fine dining establishments or bars should make me or anyone seem like anti-kid. This topic makes people a bit irrational for no reason.

Rigsby’s doesn’t mind when I bring the family in, in fact Kent has thanked me specifically for bringing the family in, kids like the pizza.

Chuck E. Cheese would probably do more business amongst the college crowd if realized that all video games are only .25 and stopped serving “crap on tap” bud, bud light only. No not really, but they are open late on weekends.

Core_Models

Two answers for me on this one:

Kids/families like Walker’s in a restaurant=awesome. Have no problem with it at all. They’re used to it, they’re well behaved, the parents are actively managing the children.

Kids/families like my sister and nephew and niece (or even admittedly me and my nephew and niece)=awful. They’re not used to it, they act like maniacs, no matter how actively it is managed there is zero control.

And no, I’m never taking them to even a McDonald’s again…until their like 20.

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

I love the St. James Tavern, but if I took a kid in there, I’d expect Lew to punch me in the taint:) I’d expect the same if I even considered stepping foot in a Chucky Cheese!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I have taken kids to both Burgundy Room (early dinner, like 5pm) and Rigsby’s (lunch). I think it is okay to do at the right times, just don’t go in the evening when there are more people on dates or whatnot and it is really busy.
    For some reason, waiting is hard for kids! :)

gk

We typically stick to high-end restaurants and rarely encounter children. Problem solved for those who prefer to dine without the presence of children. We also tend to dine around 8:30 to 9 p.m. which also helps.

JoeMitchell

osulew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    More parents need to learn the “fear of God” stare as my family calls it. If for a second me or my sisters were anything other than well-behaved little people we got “the look” and that was all it took to know we better shape up or the evening was not going to end well.

We called that “Mom Eyes.” As in “What did I to to make you have Mom Eyes at me?”

Ha! I like it. We also had the threat of a “coming to Jesus meeting” to “chat” about bad behavior when we got home. And my parents wonder why organized religion is a little scary to me :)

I think the effect of folks not going to church anymore is that kids aren’t learning the valuable lessons of Catholic guilt anymore. I wasn’t a bad kid growing up because every time I did something bad, instead of hitting me or yelling at me or grounding me, they told me how disappointed in me they were.

I was raised a godless heathen, and that’s all it took for me to snap into line too. I’m 31 years old, and to this day my father has still never raised his voice at me. Ever.

I think it might be even more effective to tell your kids they disappoint you, and then point at a statue of the Virgin Mary. Her kid was good.

I didn’t buy into any of that as a kid, so that wouldn’t have affected me a whole lot.
    However, when I was really young, my mom got me to give up drinking from bottles by saying that Snoopy (my fave) called and said that bottles were not cool and that he’d bring me cool stuff if I put them in a basket and left them on the deck for him to pick up. I did, and I got sippy cups and all sorts of rad crap (from what I’m told) in return. So I guess I got the “comin’ to Snoopy” talk instead, eh?

bribery, yeah that is how I discipline

turning into stubborn and spoiled

oh well, spare the rod

KSquared

@joemitchell Actually it’s called positive reinforcement and it’s more effective than punishment. One of the fun things I learned in child development class :)

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    I have taken kids to both Burgundy Room (early dinner, like 5pm) and Rigsby’s (lunch). I think it is okay to do at the right times, just don’t go in the evening when there are more people on dates or whatnot and it is really busy.
    For some reason, waiting is hard for kids! :)

Yeah- I took my cousin to Rigsbys before going to see the Nutcracker when she was like 5. It was early (530ish), she ate pasta quietly, the staff fawned over her cuteness& it was fine. Now had it been 8 or 9pm, not so cool. Like I said- common sense solves alot of the issue. :)

catnfiddle
    Participant

When I was a kid, my dad took a second job as a waiter (teachers made almost nothing in the 70s). The only way we got to see him before he tucked us in is if we visited him at the restaurant. You can bet the house that my brother and I were trained to be on my best behavior so my dad could keep his job.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    I love the St. James Tavern, but if I took a kid in there, I’d expect Lew to punch me in the taint:) I’d expect the same if I even considered stepping foot in a Chucky Cheese!

I’m not sure who’d punch ya first, me or Michelle. :)

However, I did spend the end of a long evening in there distributing my children’s chewable circus animal vitamins to patrons of the SJT. What’s even weirder is I think nearly everyone accepted them and ate em.

Core_Models

osulew wrote >>

CheeseFoodie wrote >>

However, I did spend the end of a long evening in there distributing my children’s chewable circus animal vitamins to patrons of the SJT. What’s even weirder is I think nearly everyone accepted them and ate em.

They didn’t think they were vitamins…and they want their money back.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

CheeseFoodie wrote >>

They didn’t think they were vitamins…and they want their money back.

I didn’t charge anything more than a smile. :)

I do recall trying to give away the orange ones first though because I hate the orange ones.

AmyD
    Participant

don’t let ksquared fool you! her kid’s an asshole but in the way you like your best friend to be. she’s a teenager,and not showing it in the typical teenager way, so i love it. but knowing ksquared, when she was little she was awesome too. and right now i’m really hoping ksquared is taking this all as a compliment.
    we never ate in restaurants as a kid and i didn’t eat in a fancy restaurant until after high school. my kids do alright, but we stick to family-friendly places with them usually. they outnumber us so we try to stick close to their comfort zone when it comes to restaurants.
    and honestly, people act like jerks sometimes. i’ve been known to walk out of many a place with a screaming little kid tucked sideways under my arm.
    and ksquared don’t tell your kid i called her an asshole. or do. she’ll take it like the compliment it’s meant to be.

AmyD
    Participant

don’t let ksquared fool you! her kid’s an asshole but in the way you like your best friend to be. she’s a teenager,and not showing it in the typical teenager way, so i love it. but knowing ksquared, when she was little she was awesome too. and right now i’m really hoping ksquared is taking this all as a compliment.
    we never ate in restaurants as a kid and i didn’t eat in a fancy restaurant until after high school. my kids do alright, but we stick to family-friendly places with them usually. they outnumber us so we try to stick close to their comfort zone when it comes to restaurants.
    and honestly, people act like jerks sometimes. i’ve been known to walk out of many a place with a screaming little kid tucked sideways under my arm.
    and ksquared don’t tell your kid i called her an asshole. or do. she’ll take it like the compliment it’s meant to be.

KSquared

AmyD wrote >>

Oh she prides herself on being a complete jerk, in the best possible way. And I’ll add not to be fooled by your post either, your kids have been perfectly behaved every time I’ve been out with them. I just hope to god they don’t pick up your bad habits ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: