Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kaufman Developments Buys Short North Land

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Kaufman Developments Buys Short North Land

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

wpcc88
    Participant

This is what I believe is the entire parcel.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Interesting that they gobbled up both sides of the street.

WJT
    Participant

Too bad they cannot gobble up the northwest corner of Price and High(the little mini-mall) along with it.

[dreamland] and then on this larger parcel, was built the iconic 30 story Short North Tower, a landmark building and architectural marvel serving as a beacon for the Short North for miles around and instantly recognized as a tapering masterpiece and beloved by both Short North residents and all who beheld it’s timeless beauty[/dreamland] lol. ;)

RellekOTE
    Participant

It’s fun to dream, isn’t it? That sounds great, though!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

If a local developer were going to take a project like that on, it’d be Kaufman.

wpcc88
    Participant

Too bad they cannot gobble up the northwest corner of Price and High(the little mini-mall) along with it.

[dreamland] and then on this larger parcel, was built the iconic 30 story Short North Tower, a landmark building and architectural marvel serving as a beacon for the Short North for miles around and instantly recognized as a tapering masterpiece and beloved by both Short North residents and all who beheld it’s timeless beauty[/dreamland] lol. ;)

Wood Companies owns that and there was rumor of a mirrored building to what was built above NorthStar.

Pro Se
    Participant

Not to worry about the mini mall. Its owned by Woods, who also developed the apartments next door. Given the orientation of the apartments, its a given that it will be replicated to match the mini mall parcel. It will eventually fill in nicely but Woods has got it fully occupied for now and is busy with a whole bunch of other projects in the SN.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Wood has stated before that the strip mall and paradise garage building next door will be redeveloped at some point in the future. I’m actually surprised that he and Schiff didn’t acquire this property (IBEW) as well, but I guess they have a lot going on already.

It’s great to see another player entering the SN market, and I’m excited to see what Kaufman comes up with for the site. There’s a lot of potential there.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I hope they can see it themselves to incorporate the Electrical Workers building into any new development. It’s a great looking historical structure. Maybe some sort of rec center or event space?

ohbr
    Participant

I hope they can see it themselves to incorporate the Electrical Workers building into any new development. It’s a great looking historical structure. Maybe some sort of rec center or event space?

I was just about to say “Let the battle over the preservation of the IBEW Building begin”

wpcc88
    Participant

I’m hoping for row houses similar to those on Buttles right next to the Chocolate Mansion.

Mike88
    Participant

I was just about to say “Let the battle over the preservation of the IBEW Building begin”

I would think that is the sort of building you want to save. It looks like it’s in good shape, fairly sizable and it looks rather nice. The fact that it’s 91 years old seems to cement it for me.

I like your idea of Rec Center or event space. With apartments likely to go into the rest of that lot it seems like a clever way to utilize the building.

cmyers
    Participant

What’s going to happen with the Christmas tree in front of the IBEW Building?

goldenidea
    Participant

Similar to what Pizzuti faced with the UCT building on Park Street, seems very unlikely that the VV Commission will allow any significant changes to at least the fronts of the two buildings on 2nd Ave. My bet is VVC won’t allow any significant alterations to ANY part of either exterior.

As for the expansive set of parcels along Price, it will be very interesting to see what gets built there. Pretty likely it will be predominantly residential, but perhaps VVC will allow some commercial as well. Maybe traditional rows of townhouses, maybe something much different from traditional.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: